The Return of the Challenge Thread - March 2020

Day 12 ~ Duo Day

谢玉崗 and 杨海崧 ~ 晚霞子
IMG_20200312_171435.jpg
Experimental, post punk, ambient, noise rock

Guitarist of wangwen and lead singer guitarist of PK 14, come out with this poetry driven experimental chaos which has sounds that at times can be peaceful and at other times can throw you into a blender, for fans who like to hear new sounds check them out

Last edited:
DAY 12 – Two Of Hearts [song reference: Stacey Q]
Spin an album by a duo. Or, spin an album by a band that is led by a duo.

B95BE37C-C163-4F00-9B99-425AF5B809AB.jpeg

I had thought about spinning Hall & Oates. Simon & Garfunkel. Rolling Stones (if we count Mick & Keith as The Glimmer Twins). Leithauser & Rostam.

But when my finger traced by this album, I HAD to hear it again. This is one of the most beautiful things ever committed to vinyl.

DAY 12 – Two Of Hearts

I had gotten Richard & Linda Thompson ‎– I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight out and had it ready to post, then changed my mind.

These 2 may not currently be on speaking terms without legal council present today, but they made a great album that got dropped by their label.

I'm also surprised no one used their joining Fleetwood Mac for a band that changed genres a few days back. These 2 had a bit to do with that.

Buckingham Nicks ‎– Buckingham Nicks
Polydor ‎– PD 5058, 1973/?

Non-gatefold reissue

Cut at Sterling (side 1)
Cut by Gilbert Kong at Masterdisk (side 2)
Pressed at PRC

wU4Rtq.jpg

wmTABN.jpg

DAY 13: I Hate It... But I Love It.

"Hate" and "love" are a bit strong...but this is a guitly pleasure. Although I do like their first 2 albums more.

No Doubt ‎– Tragic Kingdom
Interscope/Trauma ‎– 92580-1, 1995/2014

Pressed at Rainbo

iZKWRm.jpg

Moyob3.jpg

DAY 13 – I Hate It... But I Love It.

Play a guilty pleasure. Like, something you might hide from your friends before they come over

Shooting Star - S/T

This album isn't very good. But in 1979, 10 year-old me loved the song Last Chance. It got pretty regular radio play back then and I would of course air-drum that break every time. It's partially responsible for me turning to drums as my instrument of choice just a few years later.
I wouldn't say I hide this record, but it doesn't get much play when I'm entertaining.

20200313_180531.jpg

Sweet drum break at around 4:30

Play a guilty pleasure. Like, something you might hide from your friends before they come over.
Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds - Live at Luther College
3F9ACF23-E226-49BB-B73B-DB7874A01B85.jpeg

I am a recovering Dave-head. Back in high school, I almost exclusively listened to Dave Matthews Band, Dave Matthews Band adjacent, and bands that were friends or toured with the Dave Matthews Band. I saw them live dozens of times over 5 or so years. Then, finally, I outgrew them. It was time to move on. I stopped enjoying their new music and their “classic” albums had been enjoyed so many times that the music barely registered with me anymore. I didn’t even attempt to listen to their music for the next 15 years...but I finally began to come back around over the last couple years, working their music back into my rotation. I still can’t get behind any of their music post-The Lillywhite Sessions but, will find myself measuredly enjoying some of their “classic” albums trying hard not to sing along to every word.

Last edited:

Play a guilty pleasure. Like, something you might hide from your friends before they come over.

35B8F71A-7B7A-4CCE-8BFF-4C62B7124921.jpeg

The drummer of my main band is the only other person I know who I can talk to about this album.

We’ve played together in a very heavy rock band before… The kind of heavy rock band where my voice hurts for three days after a gig because I shredded my vocals screaming like we were that band Blood Brothers. At a rehearsal a few years ago, mid conversation, I dropped a Debbie Gibson mid conversation... possibly the whitest thing I could do. Out of nowhere, said drummer, a very large Hispanic man, stops the discussion and says “wait, wait, did you just quote ‘Shades of the Past’ by Debbie Gibson? I fucking love that album!”

We’ve been super tight ever since… But convincing other people that this is a good album is a very hard sell. At least I know the truth.

View attachment 36345

The drummer of my main band is the only other person I know who I can talk to about this album.

We’ve played together in a very heavy rock band before… The kind of heavy rock band where my voice hurts for three days after a gig because I shredded my vocals screaming like we were that band Blood Brothers. At a rehearsal a few years ago, mid conversation, I dropped a Debbie Gibson mid conversation... possibly the whitest thing I could do. Out of nowhere, said drummer, a very large Hispanic man, stops the discussion and says “wait, wait, did you just quote ‘Shades of the Past’ by Debbie Gibson? I fucking love that album!”

We’ve been super tight ever since… But convincing other people that this is a good album is a very hard sell. At least I know the truth.
Damn I need some blood brothers right now!

We are about halfway through the month, and I just want to extend a very heartfelt thank you to everyone who has been participating. I have thought for a while about starting one of these threads, and every day I am both impressed and inspired by how people have interpreted these very obtuse, unusual prompts. Keep them coming!

DAY 15: No Coast

Playing this reminds me of the time I was called a "database thug" when people were removing the reissue tag for this release on Discogs.

Joey Bada$$ ‎– 1999
Pro Era Records ‎– none, 2012/2018

Cut by Cameron Henry
Pressed at Vinyl Record Pressing

3EQna8.jpg

7NRt3Y.jpg

I also thought he and his character of Leon on Mr. Robot were amazing.

Back