The Return of the Challenge Thread - March 2020

Did you get that Brighten the corners deluxe?
I found one on cogs for 90, supposedly NM but it'll be a while before it gets here.
I just order the Brighten The Corners box along with their Live LP Live Europaturnén MCMXCVII from the same seller both supposedly NM/NM shipped today all in for everything for $122.

Yeah, I gotta copy of the other live LP with the same title and The same album art but printed in red instead of blue but different shows on each. So this will round out my Pavement collection nicely.
Oh shit, I wasn't aware there are 2 of them!
The one I have is with the blueish/purple art, opens with Father to sister thought.

Day 26 - I Know What I Know

Townes Van Zandt - Our Mother the Mountain

I like Townes’ first record (the one VMP did), but that wasn’t him. His second record is way stripped back - the true Townes that showed up on the rest of his records.

854C7F9F-93BC-4A3C-B9B4-6F92F2ECECFE.jpeg

Oh shit, I wasn't aware there are 2 of them!
The one I have is with the blueish/purple art, opens with Father to sister thought.
That is the one I just ordered but there was another that was a RSD Release from 2009. It has “Shady Lane” as the first track. I was lucky enough to get on of the 95 hand number copies that were pressed in red wax.

DAY 27 – This One's For Me

Everyone, next month I turn 39. Play an album that you would be surprised if I made it this far in life without hearing already... that would make the NEXT 39 years a better place for me

Willie Nelson - Teatro

Believe it or not, I thought about this off and on throughout my day today. There's a few ways this could be iterpreted right? So I decided to go with an artist that I assume you're at least a little familiar with, and an album that maybe you aren't.

So yeah, I love this album, it's seriously a ten for me. Willie's beautiful singing and playing, Emmylou, the band, the song selection and Lanois' production...all just top notch.
Screenshot_20200327-211611.jpg

Happy Early Birthday. You are in for a treat, if you have not yet experience the blast of hazy bong smoke that is...
Bright black Morning Light - Brightblack Morning Light
39B9A0DB-47D5-427F-B280-BC113DDCC1A9.jpeg

You may already be familiar with this LP as we are approximately the same age but when this record was first released back in 2006 I had zero patience for this type of hazy lonnggg hippy-dippy bullshit. I remember giving it a chance based on the fact that they release a split EP with Bonnie ‘Prince’ Billy and received a glowing review in Pitchfork. It never clicked and there is way too much music to try to make something like this work if you don’t have a good reason. needless to say it ended up residing in a dusty corner and f my external hard driving be where many Album disappear to never to be heard again, however thanks to the beauty of a smart playlist in iTunes one sunny summer day while riding the bus home from work, the opening track of this album came on and holy mackerel! This shit clicked. It’s like heavy funk music baked in molasses while stuck in a k-hole. It is amazing it is brilliant and man, I used to be a dumb music snob.... Anyways, Again Happy Birthday and I Hope this Album brings you as much joy as it has me. Cheers! 🍻

Day 27 - This One’s for Me

I was going to be a wise ass and play Bee Thousand, because that’s the album I’d be most surprised to learn that you’d never heard 😂.

I decided to try harder to find something you might have missed. I picked DJ Koze’s Amygdala, one I’ve always loved but have turned to more often lately. This album is pure beauty, the sound of carefree warm summer days.

40F1FE11-5A23-4EC8-9D88-ED268A4EB225.jpeg

DAY 28 – Okay, EVERYONE OUT!

The party's over, and your guests won't take a hint. Play something that makes them want to leave

Aka Friend Repellent

Joe Henderson featuring Alice Coltrane - The Elements

Most of my friends are cool with pretty much whatever I play when we're hanging out at our place. But there's a really close friend of mine that just doesn't get into jazz much, and so somewhat challenging stuff like this is hard for him to sit still and listen to. He might not leave, but he'd go out for a smoke or three.

Screenshot_20200328-195355.jpg

DEA59128-5998-494A-867D-50CA398C04F9.jpeg

When I first started to notice and care about music, I was eight years old.
I could have and almost DID pick two other albums from when I was eight that have had lasting impact on me, The B-52's Cosmic Thing and The Bangles Different Light.
I chose this one because, at eight, it was the catalyst for my first rabbit hole. I had to have, had to hear everything with the name The Beach Boys on it. Which is probably why, years later, I am still trying to convince people who only know or care about their surf material about the depth of their song writing on Today, Pet Sounds, or Sunflower. Still trying to get people to care about the maturity of a work like Carl and the Passions "So Tough." Still why I am trying to turn people on to the early synth-pop if Love You.
And don't get me started on why Carl is my favorite.
The last 31 years with this album have been great. I can't wait to share it with my kids as they get older.

Last edited:
DAY 28 – Okay, EVERYONE OUT!

The party's over, and your guests won't take a hint. Play something that makes them want to leave.

BAD8A9BD-0EF6-49F3-AF06-407B543B2DFA.jpeg

I got turned onto this band about a month ago from a friend who has a much richer past than she will willingly discuss.
At a dinner party, she mentioned that she had a particular liking for "world" musics and "noise." I asked if she meant stuff like Wolf Eyes and Hair Police. Her response was "no, noisier." She then recommended I check out this band.
I found a few clips on YouTube... they were confounding. They were startling. They were needlessly but effortlessly aggressive and confrontational. They were the opposite of anything you have ever heard that is "music."

When I described this music to my wife, I put it like this: imagine you are in a dark room. Tied to a chair. There's steam and it's damp. The walls are all concrete and metal. And you know you are about to be viciously murdered. This music is what is happening in your head while you listen to your murderer's deranged shouts, accusations, and declarations.

And if there's ever people here I want OUT of my house, this is going on. Loud. And I will silently lay on the couch with this at full blast until I am sure the coast is clear. Because fuck you it's 3am and I don't need to hear your "funny story."

Below is a link to a youtube video for a clip from this LP. It's embedded in a box because of the artwork, taken from an 80's era reissue which replaced the original artwork with a photo of a decomposing mummy.

You've been warned.

Last edited:
DAY 28: Okay, EVERYONE OUT!

While it wouldn't make me leave - some of this mid-80's thrash/metal/reggae isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Various ‎– River's Edge
Enigma Records/Metal Blade Records ‎– SJ-73242, 1987

Cut by Eddy Schreyer at Capitol Mastering
Pressed at Allied

kOcWdo.jpg

y83o56.jpg

Z3VRsR.jpg

Last edited:
DAY 29 – No Alternative

This compilation is an Island Records sampler from 1969. Most are tracks I have on their respective albums, but there's a few I haven't picked up yet.

Various ‎– Nice Enough To Eat
Island Records ‎– 88 519 DY, 1969

German pressing

Pressed at Deutsche Grammophon Gesellschaft Pressing Plant

tWHt4G.jpg

GjEdNx.jpg

iYHjJR.jpg

DAY 29 – No Alternative [album reference: the 90's compilation]

The Bridge - A Tribute To Neil Young
38FDB1CD-52B3-4F03-BDC5-4055450B4204.jpeg

I am not typically someone who purchases many compilations, outside the occasional soundtrack and maybe a comp of a non-album singles by certain artists, I really try to avoid them. Especially on vinyl. Now that all being said, this Compilation is brilliant. I didn’t even know it existed until recently when I stumbled across a copy on eBay while looking for some Meat Puppets LPs. This was released in the late 80s and features lots of my favorite underground artists from the time (Sonic Youth, Flaming Lips, Pixies, Nick Cave, Dinosaur Jr. , etc...) covering some of the best songs by one Neil Percival Young.

Last edited:
Back