The Return of the Challenge Thread - March 2020

DAY 23: Stranger Things

Gotta go with John Carpenter for this one...specifically "Chariots of Pumpkins"

John Carpenter In Association With Alan Howarth ‎– Halloween III: Season Of The Witch
Death Waltz Recording Company ‎– DW008R, 1982/2018

Pressed at GZ

yrFMVL.jpg

oDXVhr.jpg

Did you get that Brighten the corners deluxe?
I found one on cogs for 90, supposedly NM but it'll be a while before it gets here.
Not yet but I am getting a couple nice work bonuses, the first one will be this Friday, and since I can’t go to bars, restaurants, live shows, or travel for the foreseeable future my “entertainment” budget will be going to a lot of record related items. I got the RTI pressed 180gm Slanted & Enchanted a few weeks back and it sounded great.

DAY 25 – What Was That?

Spin an album with “uncommon” western instruments, not typical guitars, basses, drums, keyboards, etc.

The Beach Boys - Smiley Smile
548E2200-D446-4195-BC64-E40A44A70639.jpeg

The “Western” part threw me off for a minute. I was gonna pick something with sitar but that definitely isn’t a Western instrument. So instead I went with one of my favorite oddball instruments the Theremin and when I think of the the theremin, I think of “Good Vibrations” so I went with Smiley Smile which is always a good thing.

DAY 24 – Those Were The Days
Play an album from an era you would love to visit for a day.

C4386273-D0EA-4BFB-B758-91A4FF185F69.jpeg

Okay, full disclosure...
Every year, I do a gig that is a tribute night to CBGB's. Just so happens, Chris and Tina are locals.
The first year, Chris came out.
The next year, Tina too. And, if you know anything about Tina, you know it's a rarity that she would make it out.

I've gotten to know them pretty decently over the last few years. Chris Frantz is exactly what you might think: humble, hilarious, and FULL of stories, many of them I am sure he would not want repeated and are not in his book... I checked.
Tina is exactly what you would hope for in a person of her stature. Have you ever met the human equivalent of a hug? That's her. When she gives you a compliment, she means it. When she asks you a question, she WANTS you to answer.
Just beautiful people.

And, from speaking with them at length, I am pretty sure I want to check out 79-80 for a day.

Last edited:
DAY 24: Those Were The Days

It was probably spring/summer of 1988 when I first heard this album. I would have been 11 or so when my parents were in the market to buy a funeral home. Since they had to travel over a few days my brother and I had a sitter stay with us. She was probably a senior in high school....or maybe college. But she introduced us to The Pixies....among other bands - like Violent Femmes.

Pixies ‎– Surfer Rosa
4AD ‎– CAD 803, 1988/2004

Cut by John Dent at Loud Mastering

lrKJwV.jpg

gIJLKS.jpg

DAY 25 – What Was That?

Spin an album with “uncommon” western instruments, not typical guitars, basses, drums, keyboards, etc.

The Beach Boys - Smiley Smile
View attachment 37782

The “Western” part threw me off for a minute. I was gonna pick something with sitar but that definitely isn’t a Western instrument. So instead I went with one of my favorite oddball instruments the Theremin and when I think of the the theremin, I think of “Good Vibrations” so I went with Smiley Smile which is always a good thing.

Dude, come on, I was going for the theremin! 🤣🤣🤣
Excellent pick

DAY 24 – Those Were The Days
Play an album from an era you would love to visit for a day.

View attachment 37788

Okay, full disclosure...
Every year, I do a gig that is a tribute night to CBGB's. Just so happens, Chris and Tina are locals.
The first year, Chris came out.
The next year, Tina too. And, if you know anything about Tina, you know it's a rarity that she would make it out.

I've gotten to know them pretty decently over the last few years. Chris Frantz is exactly what you might think: humble, hilarious, and FULL of stories, many of them I am sure he would not want repeated and are not in his book... I checked.
Tina is exactly what you would hope for in a person of her stature. Have you ever met the human equivalent of a hug? That's her. When she gives you a compliment, she means it. When she asks you a question, she WANTS you to answer.
Just beautiful people.

And, from speaking with them at length, I am pretty sure I want to check out 79-80 for a day.
DAY 24: Those Were The Days

It was probably spring/summer of 1988 when I first heard this album. I would have been 11 or so when my parents were in the market to buy a funeral home. Since they had to travel over a few days my brother and I had a sitter stay with us. She was probably a senior in high school....or maybe college. But she introduced us to The Pixies....among other bands - like Violent Femmes.

Pixies ‎– Surfer Rosa
4AD ‎– CAD 803, 1988/2004

Cut by John Dent at Loud Mastering

lrKJwV.jpg

gIJLKS.jpg

1585214994865.gif

DAY 25 – What Was That?

Besides Tubular Bells, Oldfield uses various other non-western instruments

• Piano [Grand, Honky Tonk], Glockenspiel, Guitar [Speed, Mandolin-like, Fuzz], Electronics [Taped Motor Drive Amplifier Organ Chord], Percussion [Assorted], Flageolet, Tubular Bells – Mike Oldfield (tracks: A)
  • Piano, Electric Guitar [Speed], Timpani [Concert], Guitar [Sounding Like Bagpipes, Spanish], Vocals [Piltdown Man], Organ [Hammond], Chorus [Moribund], Conductor [Choir] – Mike Oldfield (tracks: B)

Mike Oldfield ‎– Tubular Bells
Virgin ‎– VR 13-105, 1973

Cut by George Piros at Atlantic Studios
Pressed at PRC

4N5Yqq.jpg

3UqscW.jpg

DAY 26 – I Know What I Know

Pretty much straight forward lyrics compared to what Neil Peart wrote for the rest of their albums.

Rush ‎– Rush
Mercury ‎– SRM-1-1011, 1974/?

Late 70's reissue

Cut by Howie Weinberg at Masterdisk
Pressed at PRC, Compton

d2653J.jpg

chrkPt.jpg

DAY 26 – I Know What I Know

Play an album that doesn't pretend to be anything other than itself.

Waylon Jennings & Willie Nelson - Waylon & Willie
95EED667-EE33-496B-8023-D3E60C15F22C.jpeg
This pair always did it their own way for better or worse. The music industry didn’t change em, they changed the music industry and did it by being 100% authentic to who they are as artists.

Last edited:
DAY 27: This One's For Me

Without a Discogs link and only having images in the spinning thread posts this one was a bit tricky. I am also confused by the wording - I don't know if it is an album I think you have heard or an album I think you haven't heard. Going to go with the latter.

Here's some Texas blues rock/psych

Poe ‎– Up Through The Spiral
Uni Records ‎– 73099, 1971

mNQYJd.jpg

T9uCiX.jpg

Last edited:
DAY 26 – I Know What I Know [song reference: Paul Simon]

I read somewhere that the lyrics of this song are about meeting someone and slowly realizing they are pretending to be something else.
Play an album that doesn't pretend to be anything other than itself.

The Rockets - No Ballads

Straight up Detroit rock, and as promised in the title - no ballads.

20200327_135620.jpg

Back