The Return of the Challenge Thread - February 2020

I grew up in a suburb right outside of Philly. I'm pretty sure End of the Road was the last song of every school dance I attended through high school
LOL, I grew up in middle of nowhere Illinois and “End of The Road” and “It’s So Hard To Say Goodbye To Yesterday” were in heavy rotation throughout my Junior High School run. If I am not mistaken The latter was the theme for our 8th grade graduation dance.

LOL, I grew up in middle of nowhere Illinois and “End of The Road” and “It’s So Hard To Say Goodbye To Yesterday” were in heavy rotation throughout my Junior High School run. If I am not mistaken The latter was the theme for our 8th grade graduation dance.

It's So Hard To Say Goodbye To Yesterday was the last song I played in my first car (98 Buick Century) as I pulled into the dealership parking lot to trade it in for scrap.

Where in the middle of nowhere? West Central here...north of Quincy....middle of nowhere.

NM...I remember we had this discussion before.

I remember a lot of "Pour Some Sugar On Me" at my middle school dances.

Last edited:
Day 13 - That’s A Nice Backside
Play an album with a great back cover

The Knack - Get the Knack

Me regarding this topic - I can't possibly look at ALL my back covers.
15 minutes later - Oh my god I am

But, this one kept coming to mind during the whole process. Flashback to my 10 year old self listening to this record when it came out in 1979 and staring at the back cover knowing I wanted to be in a band and rock out someday. The drumming on this record (Bruce Gary) most definitely had a hand in me choosing drums to get me on my way.

Looking at this picture now, it's very striking. Everything is perfect; the lights at the top, their guitars, stances, and the camera all make it such an exciting band photo.

I really looked at a bunch of records for this one.
My honorable mentions are Supertramp - Breakfast in America (another great band photo)
and Ween - Chocolate and Cheese. (too on the nose.)
This was a great topic @TenderLovingKiller®

20200214_184352.jpg

Day 13: That's a nice backside.

2E0E15F2-9BAC-4F46-B2DB-700E47492796.jpeg

Forgot to post last night.

Walt Wagner is a classically trained pianist and composer. He was the house pianist in a fine dining restaurant in the Seattle area. During his tenure, he adapted modern music in his own style. Note the song choices for this performance: My Bloody Valentine, Fleet Foxes, Buzzcocks, Prince...

This recording was his final performance before his retirement, released by Sub Pop.

Where in the middle of nowhere? West Central here...north of Quincy....middle of nowhere.

NM...I remember we had this discussion before.

I remember a lot of "Pour Some Sugar On Me" at my middle school dances.

My wife is from a tiny Illinois town named Livingston. Population is around 800. The "big" towns nearby are Litchfield and Staunton. St. Louis is about a 50 minute drive.

While Livingston was small on population, I remember it had about 10 taverns. Took a memorable picture our last visit there of a baby stroller parked out front of a bar. Pretty much sums that place up.

My wife is from a tiny Illinois town named Livingston. Population is around 800. The "big" towns nearby are Litchfield and Staunton. St. Louis is about a 50 minute drive.

While Livingston was small on population, I remember it had about 10 taverns. Took a memorable picture our last visit there of a baby stroller parked out front of a bar. Pretty much sums that place up.

Sounds about right. The "village" I lived in was about 750 or so on a good day - probably much less than that. We had 2 taverns right across the street from each other.

We also had 5 churches.

I remember going by Livingston while driving on 55 going home from Carbondale on breaks sometimes.

Yeah my home town was gigantic compared to that; we had almost 1,200 (though we also have a super max prison and I think they might be included in the population as they are technically “residents”). I lived in Livingston County and Like @LeeVing I am familiar with location of Livingston the town as the Livingston exit sign on 55 meant you were about to St Louis. The bar to grocery store/church ratio in small northern Midwestern cities is quite astounding. I always tell folks there it’s too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer so we all just sit around in climate controlled bars and drink all day.

This article does a good job of showing what I mean....

Back