The Return of the Challenge Thread - February 2020

Day 16 - Chin Up!

Jay Z & Kanye West ‎– Watch The Throne (Def Jam Recordings, 2012 Picture Disk Box Set)

Looked for one I haven't spun in a while and this stood out. I remember when it was announced that these 2 were releasing a joint album and I just couldn't believe it. The result is pretty amazing, with an album of uplifting, energetic tracks!

IMG_3546.JPG
IMG_3545.jpg

Day 16: Chin Up

I don't know it if makes me feel "like a champ", but it certainly makes me happy listening to it. I could have picked almost any XTC album, but this one seems to get me in a better mood.

XTC ‎– Black Sea
Virgin/RSO ‎– VR-1-1000, 1980

Cut at The Town House
Pressed at Presswell

ZGkxj1.jpg

cKSmNc.jpg

Day 16 - Chin Up!

Jay Z & Kanye West ‎– Watch The Throne (Def Jam Recordings, 2012 Picture Disk Box Set)

Looked for one I haven't spun in a while and this stood out. I remember when it was announced that these 2 were releasing a joint album and I just couldn't believe it. The result is pretty amazing, with an album of uplifting, energetic tracks!

View attachment 33129
View attachment 33130
“Ni**as in Paris” will perpetually be included on any gym mix I make until I die. When they were touring in support of this album and would come out and play that track like 15 times in a row, I remember thinking at the time “Only 15?! They shoulda played it more”.

Day 16 - Chin Up!
Spin a record that makes you feel like A FUCKING CHAMP!

Dark, downer records totally lift my spirits.

Can't explain it. I'm just wired that way.

"And we tried so hard
And we looked so good
And we lived our lives in black
But something about you felt like pain
You were my sunny day rain
You were the clouds in the sky
You were the darkest sky
But your lips spoke gold and honey
That's why I'm happy when it rains
I'm happy when it pours
Look at me enjoying something
That feels like, feels like
Pain
To my brain..."

The Jesus And Mary Chain - Darklands

20200216_014029.jpg

Last edited:
Day 16 - Chin Up!

Japandroid - Celebration Rock
23676ADE-1ED3-468D-A8F9-A3DE70ACC921.jpeg

The album’s title in apt. This record makes me wanna summit Mount Rainier naked with lit sparklers in each hand. It makes wanna beer bong all of the beer in Washington State. It makes me wanna reorganize my entire record collection autobiographically. Basically it brings about manic episodes of inspired (and unwarranted) confidence.

Now, if you’ll all excuse me I have some gutters to tend to.

Day 16 - Chin Up!

I don't know if champ is the word, but my pick is Thursday's Full Collapse.

IMG_2252.jpg

Here comes a long one...

I turn 39 in April. This record came out when I was 20. I bought it on September 6, 2001 (on compact disc, this picture is of a reissue). When I had bought it, it was on recommendation of a friend. See, there was supposed to be an outdoor concert in NYC (that was later cancelled) in the coming weeks with this band on the bill. [If I remember correctly, The Juliana Theory (whom I loved) were also on the bill, possibly headlining.]

All of the things I just mentioned are super important.
Because I live (and still live) about 40 miles away (a 75 minute train ride) from NYC.
Because I worked by a train station that fed commuters into New York City.
Because people my age in this area (at least ones that I have talked to about this) can evenly divide their lives into two distinct parts:

A - BEFORE 9/11.
B - AFTER 9/11.

I did listen to this album before 9/11, and my impressions were of a strong album that had something special in it that I couldn't put my finger on.

Beyond the music, nothing was the same here. It seemed like everybody knew someone who worked there. Or died there. Or had their lives thrown into complete fucking chaos. [Strangest example: one of my college professors ended up living in an empty room in a dorm on campus because he could not get back to his apartment in the city for a month.] That night I drove with some friends to a spot miles away, but it was close enough to just watch the smoke billow. We sat in silence for hours. On my way home, I passed the train station, which should be damn near empty at 10:30 at night... it was more than half full and I was fucking terrified. How many people did I see every morning that I would not see again? The answer was... refreshingly small, but I never did get every story of how the hell they made it out of the city and when.

I don't know why, but in the weeks that followed this album just kept finding its way to coming through my speakers. It was very, very aggressive. It was also disarming, beautiful, sad, and (in ways I discovered over time) hopeful. I know a lot of people who dove into music to help them cope with the madness around them and the despair and anxiety that was so prevalent around this time. Within a month, I knew every drum fill, every guitar lick, every word, and EVERY. SINGLE. SCREAM. I drove around for hours, taking the long way everywhere, shredding my lungs to this CD because for the time it took to follow along with "Understanding In A Car Crash," "Cross Out The Eyes," "Paris In Flames," and "How Long Is The Night," I wasn't thinking about anything else. And that reprieve was so desperately welcome.

I started going to shows again in November. The first one I went to was Piebald with Lawrence Arms, Recover... and THURSDAY. It was my first time seeing them. I saw them 12 more times in the next year. I met them many times, and they were all great guys. I remember introducing my little brother to them backstage at Warped Tour (the Randall's Island show), and one of their guitar players inviting us to watch their set from the side of the stage... and months later having a copy of that exact show released as the Five Stories Falling EP.

And that right there was the beauty of this album and this band at this time: it was a community. It was to be shared. It was to remind you that you can overcome anything just by shouting at the abyss because every time you do you become a little less afraid.

And a little less afraid.

Until you are not afraid anymore.

I don't know if "champ" is the word to describe how I feel when I listen to this album.
But I feel empowered.
And I feel like that alone means I won... something?

Day 16 - Chin Up!

I don't know if champ is the word, but my pick is Thursday's Full Collapse.

View attachment 33216

Here comes a long one...

I turn 39 in April. This record came out when I was 20. I bought it on September 6, 2001 (on compact disc, this picture is of a reissue). When I had bought it, it was on recommendation of a friend. See, there was supposed to be an outdoor concert in NYC (that was later cancelled) in the coming weeks with this band on the bill. [If I remember correctly, The Juliana Theory (whom I loved) were also on the bill, possibly headlining.]

All of the things I just mentioned are super important.
Because I live (and still live) about 40 miles away (a 75 minute train ride) from NYC.
Because I worked by a train station that fed commuters into New York City.
Because people my age in this area (at least ones that I have talked to about this) can evenly divide their lives into two distinct parts:

A - BEFORE 9/11.
B - AFTER 9/11.

I did listen to this album before 9/11, and my impressions were of a strong album that had something special in it that I couldn't put my finger on.

Beyond the music, nothing was the same here. It seemed like everybody knew someone who worked there. Or died there. Or had their lives thrown into complete fucking chaos. [Strangest example: one of my college professors ended up living in an empty room in a dorm on campus because he could not get back to his apartment in the city for a month.] That night I drove with some friends to a spot miles away, but it was close enough to just watch the smoke billow. We sat in silence for hours. On my way home, I passed the train station, which should be damn near empty at 10:30 at night... it was more than half full and I was fucking terrified. How many people did I see every morning that I would not see again? The answer was... refreshingly small, but I never did get every story of how the hell they made it out of the city and when.

I don't know why, but in the weeks that followed this album just kept finding its way to coming through my speakers. It was very, very aggressive. It was also disarming, beautiful, sad, and (in ways I discovered over time) hopeful. I know a lot of people who dove into music to help them cope with the madness around them and the despair and anxiety that was so prevalent around this time. Within a month, I knew every drum fill, every guitar lick, every word, and EVERY. SINGLE. SCREAM. I drove around for hours, taking the long way everywhere, shredding my lungs to this CD because for the time it took to follow along with "Understanding In A Car Crash," "Cross Out The Eyes," "Paris In Flames," and "How Long Is The Night," I wasn't thinking about anything else. And that reprieve was so desperately welcome.

I started going to shows again in November. The first one I went to was Piebald with Lawrence Arms, Recover... and THURSDAY. It was my first time seeing them. I saw them 12 more times in the next year. I met them many times, and they were all great guys. I remember introducing my little brother to them backstage at Warped Tour (the Randall's Island show), and one of their guitar players inviting us to watch their set from the side of the stage... and months later having a copy of that exact show released as the Five Stories Falling EP.

And that right there was the beauty of this album and this band at this time: it was a community. It was to be shared. It was to remind you that you can overcome anything just by shouting at the abyss because every time you do you become a little less afraid.

Until you are not afraid anymore.

I don't know if "champ" is the word to describe how I feel when I listen to this album.
But I feel empowered.
And I feel like that alone means I won... something?
This is great! The power of music astounds! Thanks for sharing.

Day 17 - Very Presidential
Spin a record that would make your country proud

Nina Simone ‎– Nina Simone Sings The Blues

This is a great American album. It also has a track co-written by Abby Lincoln, which I think is a cool nod to President's Day.

Capture 1.JPGCapture 2.JPG

IMG_20200217_113745.jpg

Back