The Return of the Challenge Thread - December 2019

Day 24 ~ Christmas is here
The American dollar ~ the technicolor sleep
IMG_20191231_130309.jpg

I don't own a single Christmas album, Christmas music isn't really my thing so I chose the American dollar because on their debut album they have a song titled a war on Christmas and since they didn't release that on vinyl I figured I could spin one that they did release

day 31 - and then one day you find ten years have got behind you

C52C7A99-0950-437B-AE17-B2BBBE2DCC83.jpeg

pink floyd - the endless river

i’m not choosing this album as my favorite release of the decade based on its artistic quality or merit, but because of the anticipation, excitement, and joy it brought to me. ‘the division bell’ was released in 1994, when i was in my mid-teens and only a year or so after i was introduced to and became obsessed with pink floyd. by 2014 i had long accepted there would be no more new pink floyd records, and any excitement about the band was limited to greatest hits collections, solo records, and solo tours. but all that changed with an instagram post from david gilmour‘s wife that a new pink floyd - yes, pink floyd - album was coming out that fall. i was just so excited about getting to walk into a record store and buy ‘the new pink floyd record’ with 20+ years anticipation behind it. and lo and behold i think it’s a pretty good swan song for them, encapsulating the sounds and history of the band in one record while acknowledging they were always better as a whole - including roger waters - than individually. such self-awareness was refreshing. i do love this record. it’s hardly their best, but it’s a worthy end to their studio recording career.

Day 25 ~ a gift from Santa

Portugal. The Man ~ the satanic Satanist
IMG_20191231_150727.jpg

At my previous company one of my managers saw how much I loved PTM and gave me this album from his collection after he found out I collected vinyl. He had this album cover tattooed on his arm and to be willing to give this to me meant more than words could describe, but as he put it, music isn't meant to be flipped, it's meant to be enjoyed and since he stopped collecting and didn't have a table any more he wanted it to go to someone who would put it to good use.

Day 31: The End.

Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly

C6C50744-1778-4D84-BB8C-F1A9DCE9A2CA.jpeg

Despite all the great albums that came out this decade, this was an easy pick for me. This album blew me away when I first heard it, and it’s now one of the most played albums in my collection as well as one of my favourite albums of all time! GKMC, DAMN., Lemonade & Blackstar aren’t too far behind it tho!

Day 31 - The End
It's the end of the decade, play your favorite album or reissue released in the last 10 years - 2010-2019.
05F856F8-7DA7-4E3B-8417-9048683E7252.jpeg
GANG OF YOUTHS - GO FARTHER IN LIGHTNESS
The Springsteenian anthemic rock combined The National’s brooding sense of cool and even a little bit of early U2’s earnestness makes for a phenomenal album that I have yet to tire of. They should be the biggest Rockstar’s on the planet (but I am kinda happy they aren’t).

Day 30 - Best of 2019
Play your favorite new album of the year

This one really grew on me.. Thought it would be one of my least favorite Gizzard albums, and now it's right up at the top! Just got this pressing in the mail yesterday, so the timing was perfect!

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - Infest The Rats Nest (Hell Edition)

IMG_20191231_200407_651.jpg

Day 31 ~ best of the decade
Uyama Hiroto ~ freeform jazz
IMG_20191231_235044.jpg
Nujabes is one of my all time favorites and after his tragic passing I wasn't sure if anyone would be able to match his style and precision, enter Uyama Hiroto, a close friend and collaborator of Nujabes, this album is a jazz hip hop listened paradise, with mellow tracks that make you feel like you're in 天国. Not only is the music fantastic but so is the album art work , a rare album that can do no wrong. Hope to see something new out of him in the next decade .

Day 25: Secret Santa

I didn't do Secret Santa on here this year, or receive any records from family members or friends for Christmas last week, but this is one of a few records good bud @DeadwaxDude gave me for Christmas last year.

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Paper Mâché Dream Balloon

View attachment 28200

The song "Bitter Boogie" is one of my all time favorite King Gizzard tracks, hope you enjoyed spinning this one! 🍻

Back