The Return of the Challenge Thread - December 2019

Day 28: That needs a reissue

Timber Timbre - Cedar Shakes

This debut album was reissued on vinyl in 2011 or so, and it was everywhere in Toronto for a short while but I haven't seen it in a long time. Goes for too much on Discogs, too, so it would be nice if this and Medicinals got wider represses.

IMG_20200102_124830.jpg

Day 30: Best of 2019

William Tyler - Goes West

This was my favourite record of last year.

View attachment 28251

this was on my best of list, too.

i think this is the first challenge in the history of challenges i actually posted daily (except for once, i think) and completed on time. i've completed a few, but never on time.

Day 29: Ugh...another colored record?

The red splatter is only on one side of this blue transparent base color, so they are red on one side, blue on the other. Kinda a cool effect I hadn't seen on other records...or at least noticed.

Kyle Dixon & Michael Stein ‎– Butterfly (Original Series Soundtrack)
Lakeshore/Invada ‎– LSINV216LP, 2019

Limited to 300 copies on "Butterfly Effect" vinyl

Cut by Daniel Krieger at SST
Pressed at Pallas

Pj5Zpw.jpg

KkuBgN.jpg

klAZqg.jpg

swNqdF.jpg

Day 30: Best of 2019

My favorite release was Tool - Fear Inoculum. My #2 was FKA twigs - Magdalene.

I played both of these recently for my "Top Purchases of 2019", so I'll move to my #3. I really enjoyed this one when it was released. Fishing For Fishies was ok...I think I had some residual burnout with all the albums they have released in the last few years.

This one reminds me a bit of Hawkwind.

King Gizzard And The Lizard Wizard ‎– Infest The Rats' Nest
Flightless ‎– FLT-053, 2019

Standard US pressing - Black & Red split vinyl

Pressed at GZ

7nntKE.jpg

PmDPNM.jpg

Day 31 - Best Album of the Decade.

I really wish I was using a reissue of Bone Machine for this. I was optimistic we'd see a repress of it once we saw so much of the Waits catalog get a repress. Someday, right?

Anyway, after much deliberation, I decided on: Sturgill Simpson - A Sailor's Guide to Earth - 2016

I went in cold when this record came out. I hadn't heard of Sturgill but a friend said "just get it, he's awesome and you'll love what he does on this one." He's been a fan since his first record. (which I still don't have)

So yeah, the first listen was amazing, and I remember it well...I hadn't been that moved and happily surprised by an album in awhile. So many cool moments on this record, lyrically and musically.
And it held up to many listens. I finally wore out on it for a bit, but it sounds so great again today as I listen. And the cover art might be among the best of the decade too.

Screenshot_20200103-175547.jpg

Day 30 - Favorite of the Year

Michael Kiwanuka - Kiwanuka

This is my current favorite of 2019, but there are a handful I'd insert here on anyany given day.

So like, how am I going to choose my favorite of the decade??

View attachment 28334

This is a great album...unfortunately I didn't get my copy until mid/late December. I could have streamed it on Spotify, but I found that I don't give music that I stream the same attention that I do when I play a record.

This is a great album...unfortunately I didn't get my copy until mid/late December. I could have streamed it on Spotify, but I found that I don't give music that I stream the same attention that I do when I play a record.

Yep, I get that. And hey, thanks for running the challenge.

I had so many honorable mentions for AOTY too...such a great year for music.

Thanks to everyone participating in The Return of the Challenge Thread.

I didn't see one made for January yet...but someone can get one up if we want to continue.
I don’t think anybody posted a January Challenge Thread but if people are interested I wouldn’t mind putting one together for February 2020.

Back