The Reader’s Nook - The N&G Book Thread

Any Don Delillo fans? I saw him referenced in two straight books I just read and had never even heard of him. Then when I looked him up I saw blurbs like 'quintessential American novelist' and I had to wonder how he slipped through, if he's that highly regarded.

I'm going to pick one up...thinking White Noise, Falling Man or Great Jones Street.
White Noise is great, so is Americana. I struggled a bit with The Names but wouldn’t mind trying it again someday as it’s considered one of his best. Underworld is a masterpiece but it is pretty huge and some parts work better than others (the opening ball game is one of the best things I’ve ever read). His latest, The Silence is very short so if you don’t want to commit to something too long, while it’s not his best, it does capture what he does well, just in short form. I’ve got End Zone in my to read list for this year. Other than Paul Auster, I think he’s probably my favourite, consistently readable and smart American writer.

White Noise is great, so is Americana. I struggled a bit with The Names but wouldn’t mind trying it again someday as it’s considered one of his best. Underworld is a masterpiece but it is pretty huge and some parts work better than others (the opening ball game is one of the best things I’ve ever read). His latest, The Silence is very short so if you don’t want to commit to something too long, while it’s not his best, it does capture what he does well, just in short form. I’ve got End Zone in my to read list for this year. Other than Paul Auster, I think he’s probably my favourite, consistently readable and smart American writer.
I've only read The New York Trilogy by Auster (love them) and would like to read some more down the road. Any particular favourites?

I've only read The New York Trilogy by Auster (love them) and would like to read some more down the road. Any particular favourites?
Moon Palace and The Music of Chance are probably my two favourites. 4321 from a few years back was excellent and innovative but it is long and something of a commitment. I remember really enjoying Mr Vertigo too but I read most of them so long ago now that I really fancy dedicating a few months to a big reread of his catalogue.

EDIT: Also, if you haven't seen the 90s movies, Smoke and Blue in the Face, they are well worth a watch to my recollection. He wrote them both.

Last edited:
YMMV, but when I think of that I think: Piranesi, most Kazuo Ishiguro (esp Klara and the Sun or Never Let me Go), some Kurt Vonnegut (Cat’s Cradle, Hocus Pocus), Elmore Leonard (Killshot, 52 Pickup, $wag), Generation X (Coupland), White Noise, Ubik, Raymond Chandler, Shopgirl (Steve Martin writes good one-sitting books; see also Pleasure of My Company).

Again, tastes vary, and my wife likes to point out I don’t read anything actually easy-fun, but these are the titles that jump out at me on peeping my shelf.
Good Lord, I loved Piranesi. Read it in an afternoon.

I’m currently reading through Emily St. John Mandel’s The Glass Hotel, which is, par for the course, a dreamy work full of broken people and empathy.

Don't get me wrong, I love The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy enough to own one physical set already, but my goodness Folio Society. $875 American dollars!? For that price, this should come with it's own spaceship with an improbability drive. At the very least, a towel.

Don't get me wrong, I love The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy enough to own one physical set already, but my goodness Folio Society. $875 American dollars!? For that price, this should come with it's own spaceship with an improbability drive. At the very least, a towel.

It is very pretty though.

As far as their Limited Editions go, I guess it's reasonable.

After reading only two books this year (The Shining and Wrong Place Wrong Time by Gillian McAllister, which I highly recommend), I just picked up four books.…The Martian, Love In the Time of Cholera, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, and Infinite Jest. I know which I am going to read last, just need to decide which to start with…..

After reading only two books this year (The Shining and Wrong Place Wrong Time by Gillian McAllister, which I highly recommend), I just picked up four books.…The Martian, Love In the Time of Cholera, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, and Infinite Jest. I know which I am going to read last, just need to decide which to start with…..
That is a nice block of 4. I think The Martian is the easiest of them, read it over a weekend when I picked it up. I love Carre and TTSS is wonderful.

I second The Martian; it’s a fun read, the kind of book I wished I was reading when I wasn’t.

Back