The Pro-Ject Pergola - Questions, Answers, Advice & Chat

£699.99. That’s probably the absolute maximum price point with that tonearm and cartridge. It’s much nicer looking, particularly if it could be got in white, but I’d be very tempted to get the new technics sl100c for just £100 more.

On the platter I suppose it does give a nice opportunity with the adjustable VTA to get a really nice mat like the 5mm funk firm achromat.
Speed stability is substantially better with the Technics. Also the 8.6” arm on the Pro-ject will prohibit alternate alignments.

Couple issues with the new Pro vs the Debut Carbon
  • Tonearm is NOT carbon fiber. It's aluminum wrapped carbon fiber. CHEAP!
  • Aluminum platter at this price point? Of course they'll sell you the acrylic one as an upgrade
  • The standard cart is probably no better than the regular Ortofon Red the DC uses
Couple plusses
  • That satin finish is (chef kiss)
  • adjustable tonearm is a huge improvement over the DC
  • Built in speed control for 33/45/78 is a nice touch

• Tonearm is NOT carbon fiber. It's aluminum wrapped carbon fiber. CHEAP

That’s actually sold as a feature. It’s what what they do with their cc and cc evolution range of arms for the next level up from the debut, the classic and X ranges. Carbon is more rigid but aluminium provides better damping so by having a hybrid you theoretically have the best of both worlds.

• The standard cart is probably no better than the regular Ortofon Red the DC uses

They are undoubtably revoiced ortofon 2M cartridges. Just look at it lol!

The existing pick it silver and pick it S2MM are both revoiced reds. I don’t think we’ll be able to tell if this is revoiced red or higher up the line until the replacement styli price is out there (the give away for the s2 and silver was that they were almost identically priced with a red replacement). What I can say looking at the specs is that I would be encouraged by the fact that it has a lower output that the stock 2m series (quoted 4mV to stock quoted 5.5mV) which can tend to bright in their presentation.

Agree on the acrylic platter but given it has the same dimensions as the existing debut and they still sell the acrylic platter it’s definitely an option. I’m also slightly disappointed that for the extra money you don’t get the nice new aluminium sub platter rather than the crap stock plastic one. Upgrading that to a bespoke heavy delrin sub platter and new bearing has been on of the best things that I’ve done to my esprit sb.

Last edited:
That’s actually sold as a feature. It’s what what they do with their cc and cc evolution range of arms for the next level up from the debut, the classic and X ranges. Carbon is more rigid but aluminium provides better damping so by having a hybrid you theoretically have the best of both worlds.

They are undoubtably revoiced ortofon 2M cartridges. Just look at it lol!

The existing pick it silver and pick it S2MM are both revoiced reds. I don’t think we’ll be able to tell if this is revoiced red or higher up the line until the replacement styli price is out there (the give away for the s2 and silver was that they were almost identically priced with a red replacement). What I can say looking at the specs is that I would be encouraged by the fact that it has a lower output that the stock 2m series (quoted 4mV to stock quoted 5.5mV) which can tend to bright in their presentation.

Agree on the acrylic platter but given it has the same dimensions as the existing debut and they still sell the acrylic platter it’s definitely an option. I’m also slightly disappointed that for the extra money you don’t get the nice news aluminium sub platter rather than the crap stock plastic one. Upgrading that to a bespoke heavy delrin sub platter and new bearing had been on of the best things that I’ve done to my esprit sb.

Update: I’ve just received an email from a hifi store listing the pick it pro at £99. 100% a revoiced red then.

Last edited:
Anybody know if Pro-Ject discontinued the CD Box S2? Been wanting to pick one up for a while but now it's notable scarce these days

Pro-ject are still showing it as a current model but most of the main dealers of theirs that I use don’t seem to be carrying it either.

Erm the bottle of pro-ject stuff 😂

I don’t think it was that expensive though…
Look at this shit!

I'm sure it's exactly the same as a bottle I can get for $5 at the hardware store.

Look at this shit!

I'm sure it's exactly the same as a bottle I can get for $5 at the hardware store.

Yeah that’s the same one I have but I’m sure I paid €20 for it and a new drive belt. I can’t have paid €20 each, I’m sure I wouldn’t have done that…

Look at this shit!

ROBERRY!

Back