The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

I totally get why someone wouldn't enjoy this record, particularly for its polished sheen (though not the same people as enjoy the Dan, really), but I've always really dug it, though it is probably a grower. (IMO, most great records are.)

It's front loaded with the "hits", yeah, so what? Those first three tracks all slay, and the middle bit, when they take it down a couple notches, is every bit as good. "Ride Across the River" has a fantastic groove and "Your Latest Trick" is very evocative. Knopfler is a compelling singer and perhaps the single most unique guitarist in classic rock. The title track is a little anticlimactic, with a great crescendo to a spot where Knopfler should just let it rip but unfortunately takes his foot off the gas at exactly the wrong time.

This was also the first album to be recorded completely digitally, right?
I will say that it played better this morning than it did last night. Like the Winwood album, I can appreciate its production. I love a grower and it’s why I often listen to things more than once. Hell, I was a little lukewarm on Can’t Buy a Thrill and then went and picked it as a ROTM.

It’s funny to me to read the allmusic review of this which is praising it and then read the review of Momentary Lapse of Reason (which I love and have to admit does some similar things) which is very much bring Waters back.

4/1/24
View attachment 199221
Meat Loaf - Bat Out of Hell

I’ve never listened to this album in whole until this week. I’ve always liked the singles when they would come on the radio but would never give them a thought past that. Meatloaf for me was mainly just the guy who popped up randomly in the middle of Rocky Horror to be killed.

I must say listening to this has been an absolute blast! It’s just so campy corny and horny which are some of my favorite adjectives. According to my boyfriend I have been “listening to way too much meatloaf” but I don’t care, it’s just a fun time.

The singles are definitely the 3 best moments on the album for me but the album cuts are close enough in quality to not bring down the total experience

4/8/24
View attachment 199848
The Clash - The Clash

One of the first CDs I ever bought and the band that started it all for me. Funnily enough I hadn't listened to it in a few years and I've been playing it a lot the last week or so. Great album.

I also had the U.S. version—what's a kid in the exurbs gonna do? Was thus also used to "Clash City Rockers" starting it off and while I love that tune "Janie Jones" is an all-timer track 1.

So when I was a kid, I had a US version of this. It is one of a few records that I don’t know what happened to. Anyhow, where does “White Man on the Hammersmith Palias” come from if it’s not on this album?

Was recorded during the Give 'Em Enough Rope sessions but not included on the album. Later released as a single. After that included in the US S/T version.

What a sublime song.

Muse is a band that I've never really listened to. My relationship with them mostly consists of playing "Knights of Cydonia" on Guitar Hero, which was pretty frustrating if I remember correctly. Singer sounds a lot like Thom Yorke, and they have a pretentious aura of seriousness about them.
A few songs in and this is ok, I guess. Kinda sounds as if Radiohead would have taken a step towards hard rock and prog metal after Pablo Honey instead of challanging our very notion of rock music with The Bends through Kid A.

Last edited:
Back