The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

this kind of pretentious angst
This has always been something a questioned. I am not a giant fan of Moz so I can’t say I know much about him but is this genuine? Or is the pretentious angst put upon like a performance persona? His lyrics have always been so overwrought I always thought he was in on the joke or at least leaning into an exaggerated version of himself. I have always found his lyrics to be hilarious but if he isn’t in on the joke maybe it’s somehow even funnier but in a meaner way? Like I am laughing at his pain rather than laughing with him if he is in on joke.

Regardless, I think his “woah is me” glum lyrics are very funny. The more pretentious angst the better.

Last edited:
This has always been something a questioned. I am not a giant fan of Moz so I can’t say I know much about him but is this genuine? Or is the pretentious angst put upon like a performance persona? His lyrics have always been so overwrought I always thought he was in on the joke or at least leaning into an exaggerated version of himself. I have always found his lyrics to be hilarious but if he isn’t in on the joke maybe it’s somehow even funnier but in a meaner way? Like I am laugh at his pain rather than laughing with him if he is in on joke.

Regardless, I think his “woah is me” glum lyrics are very funny. The more pretentious angst the better.

I think he’s a very woe as me kind of character who thinks the world is against him whilst also hamming it up and being a little tongue in cheek. I also think he’s someone who has been very deliberately vague about so much of his private life that it’s hard as someone who doesn’t know him to really draw the line of where mozza ends and Stephen begins.

This has always been something a questioned. I am not a giant fan of Moz so I can’t say I know much about him but is this genuine? Or is the pretentious angst put upon like a performance persona? His lyrics have always been so overwrought I always thought he was in on the joke or at least leaning into an exaggerated version of himself. I have always found his lyrics to be hilarious but if he isn’t in on the joke maybe it’s somehow even funnier but in a meaner way? Like I am laughing at his pain rather than laughing with him if he is in on joke.

I agree, but I don’t think for a minute that he is in on the joke here. Yes, he has wry, british wit about it, but I think he definitely IS as pretentious as his lyrics. (My empirics here is basically every interview I’ve read with him.) I love his lyrics too, but I just don’t seem to connect with them emotionally the way I used to anymore.

My empirics here is basically every interview I’ve read with him
Like I said, I am not overly familiar with him but is it possible that he does those interviews “In Character” so to speak? Has he ever broke kayfabe and addressed it? Like Father John Misty has come out and said, that the FJM persona isn’t really who he is. But I guess had Moz said he was in on the joke we would already know.

Like I said, I am not overly familiar with him but is it possible that he does those interviews “In Character” so to speak? Has he ever broke kayfabe and addressed it? Like Father John Misty has come out and said, that the FJM persona isn’t really who he is. But I guess had Moz said he was in on the joke we would already know.
Ya, sadly he has been a long time racist. We didn't know it because pretty much in the 80s was white.

I think I may have listened to Songs About Fucking in the punk thread? Anyhow, I love the sound of this, reading up on it I’m not real sure I want to know what the lyrics are. Safe to say won’t be playing this on the hifi with the wife or kid around, so never. But I may try to give it a couple more listens.

Your colleagues will enjoy this lovely little ray of sunshine today I bet
My work actually just moved me into the biggest office in the building because they hired someone and we were going to share it, then that person never started. So by dumb like I have a nice big office to myself. No one's really in ear shot. It could be hours until I see another person.

I just finished (a couple of days ago) a play through of the super deluxe including the dvd and the accompanying podcast.

His first album with the Revolution. His first album to capture the attention of everyone. His first video on MTV. His first album with multiple top ten hits (Little Red Corvette peaking at 6 on the hot 100 was his highest chart position at the time).

It is his arrival party as it were.

Back