The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

4/9/24
View attachment 199917
Muse - Black Holes and Revelations

I actually really like this album but I can understand why it would rub people the wrong way. I used to listen to this all the time on the 1 hour drive between my girlfriend's (now wife) and my house after we graduated college. It seemed like a dramatic change in sound from the albums before it. The thing that stood out the most was all of the vocal layering, it kind of reminded me of Queen. It's far from my favorite album of theirs but it seems to grow on me the more that I listen to it.

I actually really like this album but I can understand why it would rub people the wrong way. I used to listen to this all the time on the 1 hour drive between my girlfriend's (now wife) and my house after we graduated college. It seemed like a dramatic change in sound from the albums before it. The thing that stood out the most was all of the vocal layering, it kind of reminded me of Queen. It's far from my favorite album of theirs but it seems to grow on me the more that I listen to it.
It was my entry point. I do think Absolution and Origin of Symmetry were better. It was all downhill from here though.

It was my entry point. I do think Absolution and Origin of Symmetry were better. It was all downhill from here though.
Origin of Symmetry is one of my favorite albums of all time. I think even the Muse haters could find something to like in that album.

My entry point was actually seeing the "Muscle Museum" video on 120 Minutes. I think the fact that they kind of sounded like Radiohead was what made them appealing to me. I did enjoy Showbiz but when Origin of Symmetry came out it blew my mind. I agree their discography does downhill quick after this one. There's a few good tracks here and there, but there's also a lot of cringy moments.

I kinda liked a couple tracks from their previous album but this record basically leaned into the stuff I didn’t much care for and ran with it so I’m good.
Origin of Symmetry is a beautiful album. Absolution is under it and then this is a drop off, but I like it and its bombastic in your faceness. The live album HAARP is a lot of fun. Then they started a sharp decline into awful.

It’s the moz thing isn’t it. He’s a shit but this is a quite good album. Not his best but in the top 5 or 6. It is also not the smiths in quality, he never had another foil with Marr’s talent or a band with the same alchemy.

Last edited:
4/10/24
View attachment 199987
Morrissey - Vauxhall and I

There was a time when I idolized the crap out of Morrissey, and this was his best soloalbum in my book. Today I actually don't get what I saw in this. I don't know. It's a great album, but just not something I want to listen to these days. And it's not really about him being a right wing nationalist troll either, as I usually don't have any problem in separating the art from the artist (hell, I even still listen to Ryan Adams from time to time). I just think I've grown out of this kind of pretentious angst somehow. Or has it just aged poorly?

I still adore The Smiths though, but that has that whole band chemistry thing going and Marr, so it's not really the same thing.

Back