The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

Help help, I’m being attacked by a Tom Cruise soundtrack!
My experience with Dire Straits was basically the big singles but @AnthonyI kindly PIFed me a stack of their early records when he upgraded and I can say that I enjoyed their earlier albums much more than Brothers In Arms, I think Brothers In Arms has their big hits but outside of that it doesn’t do much for me where the other album work better all the way through.

My experience with Dire Straits was basically the big singles but @AnthonyI kindly PIFed me a stack of their early records when he upgraded and I can say that I enjoyed their earlier albums much more than Brothers In Arms, I think Brothers In Arms has their big hits but outside of that it doesn’t do much for me where the other album work better all the way through.
I thought it was for this - who knows? - but I listened to the first album quite a bit last year and liked it.

This is boring after the first three songs. Talk about an album being front loaded.

Now this fucker thinks he’s Dylan but is sounding more like The Eagles.

First Steve Winwood and now Mark Knopler. This book is RUINING things.
Fuck that book. Listen to your friends. Pick a different one of us to suggest an essential record each day/week/whatever. I promise it'll be a helluva colection.

I remember back in the day churches/schools etc. would publish their own cookbook with different folks contributing.

Why not a N&G Essential Record Guide created by us freaks?

With Dire Straits, get the first four studio albums and Live Alchemy and you're all set.

Fuck that book. Listen to your friends. Pick a different one of us to suggest an essential record each day/week/whatever. I promise it'll be a helluva colection.

I remember back in the day churches/schools etc. would publish their own cookbook with different folks contributing.

Why not a N&G Essential Record Guide created by us freaks?

With Dire Straits, get the first four studio albums and Live Alchemy and you're all set.
I was being a little dramatic/silly but I do have some thoughts on that for when we are done with the project.

I was being a little dramatic/silly but I do have some thoughts on that for when we are done with the project.
That’s not a bad idea for a thread. Each week a member nominates an album that is essential to them. A bit of a write up. Doesn’t have to be a GOAT but just an album that you couldn’t live without.

Last edited:
I thought so. Maybe that is what morphed into the N&G monthly ROTM?

No that started right at the start of the forum, was more to be our own better album club. There used to be a more weekly album recommendation thing that was more about listening to new music than buying vinyl. Hmmm I’m going to need to hunt…

I thought so. Maybe that is what morphed into the N&G monthly ROTM?

Nice. Looks like it died out in late 2020. Maybe time for a revival.

That’s not a bad idea for a thread. Each week a member nominates an album that is essential to them. A bit of a write up. Doesn’t have to be a GOAT but just an album that you couldn’t live without.
I’m all for album of the week.

I’m thinking of doing a mega essential list when we get done with the project. Will probably try to hash out details as we get closer to the end.

Back