The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

I will say I also like the fact that the book isn’t necessarily stuff I would put in a similiar book. I don’t feel like I had to hear Casanova but it does heighten my appreciation of music over all. Casanova teaches me that I listen to better music then the dude that picked that album. (And I’m not going to figure out from the notes who picked it, but we all know a woman didn’t pick that shit.)

The book basically says this is their best record.

Hey @HiFi Guy you like Dire Straits, no? Tell me what I’m missing here - Brothers in Arms.

Also Brothers in Arms was a single as well. I can’t say I have ever heard that one on the radio.

I totally get why someone wouldn't enjoy this record, particularly for its polished sheen (though not the same people as enjoy the Dan, really), but I've always really dug it, though it is probably a grower. (IMO, most great records are.)

It's front loaded with the "hits", yeah, so what? Those first three tracks all slay, and the middle bit, when they take it down a couple notches, is every bit as good. "Ride Across the River" has a fantastic groove and "Your Latest Trick" is very evocative. Knopfler is a compelling singer and perhaps the single most unique guitarist in classic rock. The title track is a little anticlimactic, with a great crescendo to a spot where Knopfler should just let it rip but unfortunately takes his foot off the gas at exactly the wrong time.

This was also the first album to be recorded completely digitally, right?

Back