The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

I mean i don’t necessarily expect the author to know the biography of Steven Tyler or to have predicted that Ryan Adams is a fucking piece of shit. I haven’t read the book (hey @AnthonyI what’s the book say about Melody Nelson?) but I think this belongs here if nothing else for the conversation. It’s brilliant and also icky.
I'm not sure what book you're referring to, but if I take your question literally, "Melody Nelson" was a fictional muse for Serge. I really enjoy this albums "mood", if you put the context into the time period it came out, it plays into the love affair, open minded-ness that Americans had with French culture in the early 70's. Take movies like The Last Tango in Paris, same story, same "icky-ness"............whole other level btw, but Serge's album fit right into the times.

The mood of the musicality, mood and feel of the album are what works for me. You could listen to this not understanding a word of what's said, or the lyrics and still enjoy it.

I'm not sure what book you're referring to, but if I take your question literally, "Melody Nelson" was a fictional muse for Serge. I really enjoy this albums "mood", if you put the context into the time period it came out, it plays into the love affair, open minded-ness that Americans had with French culture in the early 70's. Take movies like The Last Tango in Paris, same story, same "icky-ness"............whole other level btw, but Serge's album fit right into the times.

The mood of the musicality, mood and feel of the album are what works for me. You could listen to this not understanding a word of what's said, or the lyrics and still enjoy it.
Wait, did you not get the 1001 albums to hear before you die book? Dammit, who am I thinking of?

Reading up on Gainsbourg, he did like younger women… so I’m not sure it is entirely fantastical or at all allegorical.
Yeah, I don't really know that much about him, and my question marks was in earnest, as in "is this interpretation possible?". But he was also a provocateur, and I've made mistakes in missing the point with that before.

I found AllMusic's review amusing, last paragraph quoted:

Perhaps best described as a dirty old bastard's attempt to make his own R&B love-man's record along the lines of a Let's Get It On (itself still two years away from release), it's by turns fascinating and repellent, hilarious and grim, but never dull -- which, in Gainsbourg's world, would be the ultimate (and quite possibly the only) sin.

Made it through all 69 Love Songs. Now I feel like I accomplished something at work today. 4/5. Could make a strong case for a 4.5 or even 5 if it was shorter.
I seem to remember in an interview with Stephen Merrit that his original idea was 99 love songs but realized that he would never get there so he went with the cheeky 69

5/3/23
452d85af3ad345ec06fcd33fcd03208dd01a2075

The Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs

Been a looooooong time since I visited this, especially because it is so long. It's brilliant though. 4/5

Back