The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

The Magnetic Fields were originally brought to my attention because of my love of The Burning Hell - particularly this song, which would not be entirely out of place on this album...

I became familiar with Merritt first from Magnetic Fields and while I find that project quite good. I prefer the music he’s released with The 6ths

5/2/23
9e2823fcd4d28e230d8ec6d63dc4e7799b4cffb5

Serge Gainsbourg - histoire de melody nelson

Allmusic Review:

4/5 for me. It's icky/provocative sure, but it's also a pretty incredible piece that has inspired much further greatness.

5/1/23
View attachment 173501
Roxy Music - Country Life

Allmusic review:

I've long had a feeling with no distinct memory that I didn't like Roxy Music all that much when co-workers at work would put it on. Today I've tangibly confirmed it. I don't really hate it, but I really don't like it. 2-/5

4/5 for me. It's icky/provocative sure, but it's also a pretty incredible piece that has inspired much further greatness.
Being Canadian there’s a decent chance you might speak/understand French better than I; I think if I comprehended what he was singing about I’d likely be repulsed but I have no clue and as such It’s hard for the ick factor to bother me all that much. Ignorance is bliss.

Kinda trashy, noisy Rock 'n' Roll vibes.

Christ, still 3 minutes to go...

Excruciatingly boring and about 20 minutes too long.

2 / 5 stars.
I can agree about the length. I didn't realize when I wrote my impression I still had like 12 minutes in the album to go. I thought I was towards the end.

But hey, it could have been 2 hours longer!

5/4/23
86c0ee8589284a3783109fda8d099b891f75d7ca

The Icarus Line - Penance Soiree

Very uninspiring. One of the most WTF is this doing here albums yet - at least most of the others I haven't liked made sense. I feel like this is trying too hard fo be something that it's failing at. Or too many somethings, even. 1/5

Very uninspiring. One of the most WTF is this doing here albums yet - at least most of the others I haven't liked made sense. I feel like this is trying too hard fo be something that it's failing at. Or too many somethings, even. 1/5
This was kind of the first, well that was a record listen. I thought it would be something before it settled into we want to be the Sex Pistols, the strokes, and Motley Crue territory.

Remember how stupify just decided I wanted to listen to Ray Price all the time and it was my most listened to album that week because I like it and we’ll why not listen to it again?

Stupid shit has decided this needs to happen with Serge. So inappropriate moans keep happening and less than opportune times.

Remember how stupify just decided I wanted to listen to Ray Price all the time and it was my most listened to album that week because I like it and we’ll why not listen to it again?

Stupid shit has decided this needs to happen with Serge. So inappropriate moans keep happening and less than opportune times.
Yeah, Brigitte Bardot moaning “Je T’aime” from your office all day might result in the upper management removing the door from your office.

Back