The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

5/3/23
452d85af3ad345ec06fcd33fcd03208dd01a2075

The Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs

This one is probably on my top five albums of all time!

I've been kinda busy this week, so I thought I would write something more thought through at the end of the week, comparing the weeks' albums. This will be interesting, as I kinda see a theme emerging here, although it's coming from different angles and world views.

This one is probably on my top five albums of all time!

I've been kinda busy this week, so I thought I would write something more thought through at the end of the week, comparing the weeks' albums. This will be interesting, as I kinda see a theme emerging here, although it's coming from different angles and world views.
That's a great idea and I look forward to it!

Yeah, it is. I rarely listen to it in one sitting, but I still wouldn't leave out a single song. It's complicated.
I mean, I just can't imagine one of my top five albums being something I rarely listen to all in one go... Can certainly understand it being complicated with this though. Do you folks that are big fans have like little mini albums made as playlists?

I mean, I just can't imagine one of my top five albums being something I rarely listen to all in one go... Can certainly understand it being complicated with this though. Do you folks that are big fans have like little mini albums made as playlists?
For me, it's more like occasionally diving in and wallow in the whole thing for a couple of days. Not really listening from start to finish, but instead just starting from a new random position whenever I listen.

For me, it's more like occasionally diving in and wallow in the whole thing for a couple of days. Not really listening from start to finish, but intead just putting it on from a random position when I listen.
This makes sense. Often happens with Kamasi's albums, but I would not claim that either are in my top twenty even....

Also, it's not really different than being lost in an artist's discography. Like i've been going through Metallica whenever I don't have kid or wife around (so mostly my ride to and from work). Or how Prince or anything Chris Thile or Beatles or Neil related results in their total listens on last.fm jumping a good bit with every new release/reissue.

Serge Gainsbourg - Histoire de Melody Nelson

I have heard the name before, but have no idea what to expect.

This bassline is great, and speaking French over things usually makes them at least 37% cooler.

Breathy French female vocals are hot.

The orchestration elements are excellent.

I could listen to this for 2 hrs 52 mins.

That was incredible! I have never listened to Serge Gainsbourg before and I have to say I am now looking at his discography for more!

4 / 5 stars.

Serge Gainsbourg - Histoire de Melody Nelson

I have heard the name before, but have no idea what to expect.

This bassline is great, and speaking French over things usually makes them at least 37% cooler.

Breathy French female vocals are hot.

The orchestration elements are excellent.

I could listen to this for 2 hrs 52 mins.

That was incredible! I have never listened to Serge Gainsbourg before and I have to say I am now looking at his discography for more!

4 / 5 stars.
Who wants to tell him?

I mean i don’t necessarily expect the author to know the biography of Steven Tyler or to have predicted that Ryan Adams is a fucking piece of shit. I haven’t read the book (hey @AnthonyI what’s the book say about Melody Nelson?) but I think this belongs here if nothing else for the conversation. It’s brilliant and also icky.

I mean i don’t necessarily expect the author to know the biography of Steven Tyler or to have predicted that Ryan Adams is a fucking piece of shit. I haven’t read the book (hey @AnthonyI what’s the book say about Melody Nelson?) but I think this belongs here if nothing else for the conversation. It’s brilliant and also icky.
But, isn't that also the point of the album? To make you think and talk about these uncomfortable things that (at least back then) was pretty common, AND fucked up. It's a piece of fiction, and it's about unhealthy obsession of youth and innocence, kinda like Nabokovs "Lolita" or "Taxi Driver". Yeah, it's icky but I also see it as a provocative and subversive piece of storytelling that has some pretty disturbing things to say about the world.

Last edited:
It was originally released as a 3 cd box set (no vinyl) which makes it a bit more manageable. When I listen to it, it is usually just 1 cd, since many of the songs are shorter.

But, isn't that also the point of the album? To make you think and talk about these uncomfortable things that (at least back then) was pretty common, AND fucked up. It's a piece of fiction, and it's about unhealthy obsession of youth and innocence, kinda like Nabokovs "Lolita" or "Taxi Driver". Yeah, it's icky but I also see it as a provocative and subversive piece of storytelling that has some pretty disturbing things to say about the world.
I mean i don’t know, maybe. I don’t know enough about it or Gainsbourg. Is there a moral, does the narrator end up smashed on the hammerbarn floor like his name his Hecuba?

Back