The NBA Thread

Should we set up a fantasy league groupme to chat/discuss the league outside of the forum? I donā€™t have strong feelings either way, but if that appeals to people I can set it up for us

Should we set up a fantasy league groupme to chat/discuss the league outside of the forum? I donā€™t have strong feelings either way, but if that appeals to people I can set it up for us
N&G Fantasy Football has its own thread on here. We can just start a Fantasy Basketball Thread on here to keep from bugging all the non-fantasy basketball fans who like to congregate here and bitch about how disappointed they are with the Sixers.

Fine with it. But I demand you show two forms of government id, have a police officer present, two independent witnesses, and a copy of a newspaper dated today in the background.

Grab Kyrie. I hear he'll be playing a lot of games this year.

Hey fellas, I have the 8th pick and I am open to trading. I would give 8 for a 2nd and 3rd rounder or Iā€™d also consider an even pick swap if I can move up

Id say it being cat h2h as opposed to points h2h favors the snake draft. Auction draft in a points league sounds like a 4 to 5 hour fight of a draft im not ready for/able to do (at least this year)

Iā€™ll tell you who Iā€™m not taking:

Jokic

Y was thinking the same thing after my outburst here today

Do you not like the idea of a potential Ben for McCollum trade? Not sure if it's even been offered...but especially if blazers added draft capital or any young players? You add shooting + shot creation. Defense becomes an issue...

I'd be hesitant to go after Sexton because A) he wants to get PAID this upcoming offseason and B) he supposedly hasn't been great in the locker room. I'd be a bit worried about him and Maxey but if you aren't all that convinced on Maxey then maybe it makes a bit more sense...

I'd also be curious what teams would offer lots of draft capital for Ben and how much would be "enough" for Morey? It's all been said before, but Ben is interesting because he seems to want to be the guy to be built around based on recent reports, yet I'm not sure what rebuilding team would want him right now? And on top of that, who would trade tons of draft capital for him unless they seem him as the missing piece to be a contender? Having trouble thinking what team he fits best on that would give up draft capital that would sway Morey...
I've been following CJ since his freshman year in college because he played at my rival school in the small potatoes Patriot League, so personally i like him even though I have concerns about a small guard in his 30s coming off an injury. And he's probably the best individual player the sixers could get at this moment.

However, trading for him basically locks this team in for the next 3 years. His and Tobias's contracts are fairly untradeable and I don't think that team would be good enough to come out of the east. I would rather get some trade ammo and have the optionality to go after a star player.

Who knows maybe the owners actually have the stomach to wait the whole thing out until December-January.

However, trading for him basically locks this team in for the next 3 years. His and Tobias's contracts are fairly untradeable and I don't think that team would be good enough to come out of the east. I would rather get some trade ammo and have the optionality to go after a star player.

Who knows maybe the owners actually have the stomach to wait the whole thing out until December-January.
I get this take, but I think it's just a symptom of the real problem, which is that the Elton Brand front office has already all but locked-in the roster already through the moves he's made. It seems that all the asset leverage you guys had even in the Colangelo era is already gone. IMO, he went and gave up the farm for Harris and Butler, then let the better of the two walk. Maybe that's why they paid Harris so much, but as you pointed out that really locks him in for a large portion of the salary cap, when im unsure if his value as a player is really that high. Dude got paid at the right time. But all the key role players you guys had like Saric, Covington and Mcconnell all got moved when it seems now is the time they're really needed.

But that's just my outsider perspective. Have not been a fan of the Elton Brand front office.

I get this take, but I think it's just a symptom of the real problem, which is that the Elton Brand front office has already all but locked-in the roster already through the moves he's made. It seems that all the asset leverage you guys had even in the Colangelo era is already gone. IMO, he went and gave up the farm for Harris and Butler, then let the better of the two walk. Maybe that's why they paid Harris so much, but as you pointed out that really locks him in for a large portion of the salary cap, when im unsure if his value as a player is really that high. Dude got paid at the right time. But all the key role players you guys had like Saric, Covington and Mcconnell all got moved when it seems now is the time they're really needed.

But that's just my outsider perspective. Have not been a fan of the Elton Brand front office.

It's really not more complicated than that without mentioning the whole burnergate thing. Ownership botched every single decision from the time they hired a colangelo until they hired Morey. Traded for Harris because they knew they weren't going to keep butler and that was the only off-season to get another max contact on the team. They could have signed both if Butler was game and owners were willing to go into luxury tax hell, but that's another story.

lol

I don't think Simmons has it in him to get real weird with it. My guess is he'll play nice for now and they have an agreement to start looking at options once the Dec 15 players can be traded.

It's really not more complicated than that without mentioning the whole burnergate thing. Ownership botched every single decision from the time they hired a colangelo until they hired Morey. Traded for Harris because they knew they weren't going to keep butler and that was the only off-season to get another max contact on the team. They could have signed both if Butler was game and owners were willing to go into luxury tax hell, but that's another story.

lol

I don't think Simmons has it in him to get real weird with it. My guess is he'll play nice for now and they have an agreement to start looking at options once the Dec 15 players can be traded.

It'll be interesting to see how Sixers fans react to him at games if he does indeed play again. I think it has potential to get real ugly...

Iā€™m interested in that storyā€™
The big "if" is "if Butler was game". By most accounts it sounded like he wanted out and MIA seemed like the place he had been wanting to get to.

If Jimmy had wanted to stay, I would have explored trading Ben and keeping Jimmy + Tobi. I've been on the trade Ben train for quite a long time before his value inevitably tanked because of his refusal to shoot. IIRC, they could have traded Ben and gone over the cap to bring back Tobi and Jimmy. They signed Tobi to such a big deal because they traded assets to get him and didn't want to just let him walk.

Iā€™m interested in that storyā€™

The big "if" is "if Butler was game". By most accounts it sounded like he wanted out and MIA seemed like the place he had been wanting to get to.

If Jimmy had wanted to stay, I would have explored trading Ben and keeping Jimmy + Tobi. I've been on the trade Ben train for quite a long time before his value inevitably tanked because of his refusal to shoot. IIRC, they could have traded Ben and gone over the cap to bring back Tobi and Jimmy. They signed Tobi to such a big deal because they traded assets to get him and didn't want to just let him walk.
They could have signed Butler and Harris that off-season, as well as signed Simmons to the max when it was time. It was possible, but like I mentioned luxury tax hell.

Edit: Butler's distaste for sixers management is well documented, but there were reports the sixers didn't even offer him the max. Either way I think he would have rejected it no matter how he felt about the team. Seems like he was getting his way to Miami one way or another.

Back