The NBA Thread

It isn't their job to be social justice warriors.
my issue with this is that LeBron made himself a social justice warrior. his motto is literally "more than an athlete". i get that he can't and shouldn't speak up about every single social justice issue in the world. but you'd think that a global pandemic that is disproportionately killing black people and minorities would spur him to come out and say "hey people--get vaccinated". or at least get him to say "i felt comfortable getting vaccinated" way earlier than he did. i don't understand what the downside is of saying "yes i got the vaccine" when he was asked about it months ago.

it's almost like he speaks up only when its convenient or would poll well in a PR focus group. and it's pretty frustrating to watch.

i understand about not talking to your teammates about getting the vaccine if they are against it. but to sidestep the question of "did you get vaccinated" is disappointing when you have so much influence over people.

my issue with this is that LeBron made himself a social justice warrior. his motto is literally "more than an athlete". i get that he can't and shouldn't speak up about every single social justice issue in the world. but you'd think that a global pandemic that is disproportionately killing black people and minorities would spur him to come out and say "hey people--get vaccinated". or at least get him to say "i felt comfortable getting vaccinated" way earlier than he did. i don't understand what the downside is of saying "yes i got the vaccine" when he was asked about it months ago.

it's almost like he speaks up only when its convenient or would poll well in a PR focus group. and it's pretty frustrating to watch.

i understand about not talking to your teammates about getting the vaccine if they are against it. but to sidestep the question of "did you get vaccinated" is disappointing when you have so much influence over people.
y - i understand that argument against Lebron but Draymond not as much.

Also, we love to try and hold black athletes to some higher standard than white counterparts. No one is asking Luca or Jokic about vaccinations... or if they are I haven't seen any reporting on it.

While I think its misinformed to be vaccine hesitant I also think if anyone has reason to be hesitant it's the black community. Is that hesitancy being leveraged and politicized in this moment - absolutely - and that's only adding to the idiocy.

I'm not trying to defend or not defend their actions. I just think that if you want people to get vaccinated who are still hesitant or anti for whatever reason at this point we are not going to convince them through shame or forcing facts down their throats. So the media dramatizing it because they play on a sports team and some like Lebron have a spotlight isn't helping.

Clinging onto the league for dear life.

Prime Noakim Noah was something else. Wasn't he 4th in mvp voting in 2014? Always catch those old Bulls games when they're on NBATV.
LOL, I have a Bunch of old Bulls I DVR’ed off of NBA TV but they are mostly Jordan or Pippen lead games from the 80s and 90s. The Rose Bulls were fun though.

The only thing that still sticks out in my mind about Joakim Noah is when he beat my alma mater in the NCAA tourney before winning the championship with Florida. I was at UW Milwaukee at the time, and watching the game in the campus bar. We had this guy, Adrian Tigert who hit like 8 corner 3s that game to keep it close!

Watching the Suns possibly alienate a young star who's wholly devoted to the city of Phoenix for the sake of maybe saving a few bucks is peak Robert Sarver.

Not to mention that big centers often peak early (because their bodies fall apart in their late 20s), so this next contract would most likely be for the prime of his career. Now is the time to max him.

As an Arizona naive, Suns fan, Arizona Wildcat alumni.. this physically pains me on many levels.

This Suns stuff got me thinking about ownership in sports in general. Some issues are of course specific to the NBA but in general ownership has so much to do with franchise success. Yes scouting, coaching, and even location (moreso in the NBA than other sports I think) can play big roles but consistent ownership that is able to surround itself with good-skilled people that share a clear organizational philosophy goes a long way. The teams that are the most successful across all sports have this. Those teams win consistently, are always in the mix for winning it all, and if they are down their bad years are usually not that bad (they're not down for long).

Dubs looked awesome last night, albeit a bit rusty. Bjelica was fantastic and fits perfectly into our system. Can't wait till we can slot Klay into this, and eventually Wiseman. 3rd quarter was rather interesting, we played a bunch of zone and gained a lead with it. Good to see that Kerr is always trying new things out.

Also...1 seed baby! /s
Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 12.44.47 PM.png

Fun game! I just kinda had it on in the background but got sucked in at the end. The first OT neither team could miss and in the 2nd OT neither could buy a shots.
Kemba fucked up at the end of the 4th multiple times. It was almost like he forgot what team he was on haha. Should have put Rose in late in the 4th IMO to replace him. Two awful turnovers then went braindead on that last play in regulation to let Smart hit the game-tying 3.

Other notes though-- Tatum looked awful. RJ's defense on him was pretty solid--made it uncomfortable for him to get to his spots/get easy shots. Brown was incredible and just got tired. Timelord was nice. Mitch still needs to get his timing and conditioning back but had 17 rebounds. Fournier had the most points in a Knick debut in franchise history. He was a really nice addition this season. Randle played really well too except for when we kept force-feeding him the ball late.

Gonna be an interesting season for us. We got better in some cases and worse in others.

Also congrats to Taj Gibson on becoming a pops.

Back