The NBA Thread

The fantasy basketball league I play in is the only roto league I do, and I agree with everything said here re: the advantages of head to head. However, the one year I finished second by a point (chasing down the champ who, as it seems happened here and seems to happen pretty much every year, opened up a big lead fairly early) was the most riveting fantasy experience of my life. Planning out the last few games of eligibility over the last week, trying to figure out a way to pick up a point here while protecting against losing a point there. It was incredibly fun.

Goddamn, Stephen Curry.
  • Has scored 35% of the GSW points over the last 10 games
    • 72 3PT FGM over this stretch, most in any 10 game stretch in NBA history
  • 4 games with 10+ 3PT FGM in the past five games
    • Now has 21 such career games
    • No other active player in NBA history has more than 5 in career [Klay Thompson]
Keeping his team alive singlehandedly. I hate (but deeply respect) this man. So much.

EDIT: Small change to a bullet point, noted by @Jeff Lerner.

Last edited:
Goddamn, Stephen Curry.
    • No other active player in history has more than 5 in career [Klay Thompson]
Keeping his team alive singlehandedly. I hate (but deeply respect) this man. So much.
fify

Goddamn, Stephen Curry.
    • No other active player in NBA history has more than 5 in career [Klay Thompson]

EDIT: Small change to a bullet point, noted by @Jeff Lerner.
This streak sure has been fun to watch. Here’s hoping we make the play in tourney and at least see what happens.

My knicks are peaking at just about the right time. What a fun team this season. Julius better win MIP and Thibs should win COTY.
Thibs should win COTY but I think Chris Paul will win MVP unless Steph can get GS into the playoffs and make a lil run. Randle is worthy but Chris Paul has the suns who finished under .500 last year with the 2nd best record in the NBA right now

Thibs should win COTY but I think Chris Paul will win MVP unless Steph can get GS into the playoffs and make a lil run. Randle is worthy but Chris Paul has the suns who finished under .500 last year with the 2nd best record in the NBA right now
I love me some CP3 but the Suns are basically the same team when one or both of he or Booker are on the court, and they're still decent when they're both off. Great player but I don't see him at MVP level. I think it's Joker's to lose unless Steph continues to go nuclear. For the same reasons I'd have Monty Williams slightly ahead of Thibs for COTY.

EzgJCsAXsAEu5Mt.jpeg

I love me some CP3 but the Suns are basically the same team when one or both of he or Booker are on the court, and they're still decent when they're both off. Great player but I don't see him at MVP level. I think it's Joker's to lose unless Steph continues to go nuclear. For the same reasons I'd have Monty Williams slightly ahead of Thibs for COTY.

View attachment 96399
As the resident Warriors fan and Steph Curry super fan...the award should go to Jokic unless the Warriors go on a run led by Steph to finish the season and finish in the top 6 in the West.

Sixers fan weighing in. I agree that it's Joker's award to lose and Embiid has probably missed too many games, but IMO he is the second most valuable player in the league this year when you look at his on/off splits and when you factor in defense (which is, you know, half of the game). The dude is about to become the first center since Moses Fucking Malone to average 30 for an entire season. Shaq never did it (although he got real close). Hakeem never did it.

Sixers fan weighing in. I agree that it's Joker's award to lose and Embiid has probably missed too many games, but IMO he is the second most valuable player in the league this year when you look at his on/off splits and when you factor in defense (which is, you know, half of the game). The dude is about to become the first center since Moses Fucking Malone to average 30 for an entire season. Shaq never did it (although he got real close). Hakeem never did it.
I prefer Embiid too from a purely on-the-court impact and the on/off is the best argument for that especially when compared to Jokic. But I suffer from Sixers' fan bias as well. I can't be mad if Jokic wins though.

1619040434662.png

View attachment 96399
I just meant as far as overall turnaround for the team. They had ayton Booker and others last year and finished under .500 insert Chris Paul now they're going crazy. I agree from a stats point of view tho that it should be Curry or Jokic in that regard

View attachment 96399
I just think that Thibs is doing more with less. The Knicks were widely expected to be one of the worst teams in the NBA this season. And right now they are in 4th place with 12 games left. Monty is a hell of a coach. But he has one of the best PGs of all time and Thibs has Elfrid Payton. I won’t entirely be mad if Monty wins it but I think the narrative of leading the Knicks back to the playoffs (if all holds up) after almost 10 years in his first season as coach is impressive as hell.

I just meant as far as overall turnaround for the team. They had ayton Booker and others last year and finished under .500 insert Chris Paul now they're going crazy. I agree from a stats point of view tho that it should be Curry or Jokic in that regard
This argument could be made for Randle too then. I think/hope he gets MIP this season. Some people think Wood or Grant and I know that they have been playing well but Julius has transformed his entire game.

for the record I think Jokic gets it and Embiid may have if he didn’t miss games.

Back