The National

I wrote a much longer post here originally about this, but it doesn't matter. Point is, after listening to Indiecast off and on over the last year, I've grown so so so tired of Steven Hyden. I used to like his writing, now I just find him irritating.

he's still a great writer - really personable style, gets to the meat (of every episode), knows how to form really smart coherent thoughts...

...but he's become the epitome of a gen x know-it-all

indiecast is a must-listen for me every friday, but by god i wish he'd stop singing on it; that's almost as bad as their tedious talk about nfl

he's still a great writer - really personable style, gets to the meat (of every episode), knows how to form really smart coherent thoughts...

...but he's become the epitome of a gen x know-it-all

indiecast is a must-listen for me every friday, but by god i wish he'd stop singing on it; that's almost as bad as their tedious talk about nfl
I just kinda stopped listening to it tbh. I found myself more annoyed than engaged in most of what they were talking about. I think he can be genuine and compelling - more so in writing, but I have just fallen off reading his stuff these days. I don't know. It's just a taste thing now.

There’s also this just released full video live show from Sydney in 2018 that’ll be up for a month:

There is someone taping a lot of these shows and putting them up on archive.org, in case anyone is interested. There was another person who went ahead and put up the second London show which has an incredible set list:

Told my husband about this the other day - he's been listening to all of these recent recordings. He's acting even more obsessed than me lately - hated a lot of TWFM but Homecoming performance changed that. I've created a monster!

for those good folks with cherry tree access, can you please let me / other oztrayans know whether the access passcode is the same?

NEW SHOW ANNOUNCED
Wed 6 Mar 2024

FAN CLUB PRE-SALE
Wed 11 Oct, 11am - Thu 12 Oct, 11am*

ON SALE TO PUBLIC
Thu 12 Oct, 12pm

A pre-sale is an opportunity to secure tickets prior to the public, not a preferential seating service. On sale times are quoted in local time. *Or until pre-sale allocation is sold out.

Spinning the test pressing of Laugh Track again and still hearing more details this many listens on. Are there two Justin Vernon vocal tracks during the chorus of Weird Goodbyes? It sounds like three different vocal tracks at least - happening at the same time. This song has never been my favorite, but it's got so much stuff going on when you start to really focus and isolate all the sounds. And that's why I think it does fit with the rest of the album...cause the rest of these tracks do a similar thing.

The build of Turn Off The House is also pretty remarkable - like the ending when the drums take it up a notch further and the guitar, strings, and bass are all just bouncing around each other. Shame it ends in a fade out. Dreaming isn't one that I am totally latched onto lyrically, but the instrumentals in the choruses are gorgeous.

I also thought Coat on a Hook was the only song I didn't 100% love, but with this recent listen I've fully come around on it. There are so many great details in it too - and the lyrics are so good. I've also come around a lot on Crumble. I think my original issue with it is its placement on the album. The album feels like it's almost winding down until the explosion of Smoke Detector, but Crumble disrupts the flow a bit. Now I like it a lot, but it's still an odd placement - and it doesn't sound like anything else on the record.

I am interested to see if they extend the tour into next year and come back around to the states playing more heavily from Laugh Track. Their setlists right now are amazing (2.5 hour shows the norm?!) - but they still haven't gone all the way into Laugh Track on any individual stop.

Spinning the test pressing of Laugh Track again and still hearing more details this many listens on. Are there two Justin Vernon vocal tracks during the chorus of Weird Goodbyes? It sounds like three different vocal tracks at least - happening at the same time. This song has never been my favorite, but it's got so much stuff going on when you start to really focus and isolate all the sounds. And that's why I think it does fit with the rest of the album...cause the rest of these tracks do a similar thing.

The build of Turn Off The House is also pretty remarkable - like the ending when the drums take it up a notch further and the guitar, strings, and bass are all just bouncing around each other. Shame it ends in a fade out. Dreaming isn't one that I am totally latched onto lyrically, but the instrumentals in the choruses are gorgeous.

I also thought Coat on a Hook was the only song I didn't 100% love, but with this recent listen I've fully come around on it. There are so many great details in it too - and the lyrics are so good. I've also come around a lot on Crumble. I think my original issue with it is its placement on the album. The album feels like it's almost winding down until the explosion of Smoke Detector, but Crumble disrupts the flow a bit. Now I like it a lot, but it's still an odd placement - and it doesn't sound like anything else on the record.

I am interested to see if they extend the tour into next year and come back around to the states playing more heavily from Laugh Track. Their setlists right now are amazing (2.5 hour shows the norm?!) - but they still haven't gone all the way into Laugh Track on any individual stop.
they seem to have a lot of wind in their sails right now...my guess is they tour again late spring and into summer 2024

There's some new merchandise up in the store (haven't checked the members store yet), but they put up the TWFM shirt I have regretted not buying since 2013

Also this shirt, which I gave to my girlfriend...but I haven't seen it in a while

There's some new merchandise up in the store (haven't checked the members store yet), but they put up the TWFM shirt I have regretted not buying since 2013

Also this shirt, which I gave to my girlfriend...but I haven't seen it in a while

They had these for sale at Homecoming - I bought the ghost tee and regretted not getting the twfm tee as well. I did also pre-order the Alice long sleeve tees for my husband and me. I really do not need another t-shirt, but I will def get it...

Back