The National

I have been refreshing the Cherry Tree store this evening in the incredibly slim chance they have a few of those test pressings for sale. Also been looking at eBay, but nothings there yet.

Please tell me you weren't the person who bought it at either $300 or $350 (and the sellers still charged for shipping lmao).

Laugh Track is far more uptempo, immediate and punchy, even if the album serves as a companion piece to FTPOF. It's also more organic in sound which means less drum machines and more wizardry from Bryan on the kit! I'm also glad "Weird Goodbyes" finally has a proper home 🏡. Highlights for me are "Crumble" feat. Rosanna Cash along with the previously released "Space Invader" and "Turn off the House. Agreed 💯 that "Smoke Detector" is very 🐊 sounding!

I love the quote from Aaron about the drumming:

"It's not because we don't enjoy sitting in a room banging around ideas. It's just that it wasn't that productive, so we developed a fairly elaborate way of building songs in which [drummer] Bryan [Devendorf] had a very important but compartmentalized role," he says. "This time we had the desire to make something that was more alive so that Bryan's playing would drive more."

I hear that 100%. I love Bryan and I think he shines all over this album. I also don’t think there’s a weak spot yet. With FTPOF I felt a little disappointed with a couple of tracks. I love the album as a whole, but it is a different mood. Laugh Track is what I needed. It’s just hitting all the right spots. Also the weirdness of Space Invader and Smoke Detector are really unlike anything they’ve done before. The way they broth sprawl out is just amazing. I guess they kinda played around with that on So Far So Fast, but it works even better here.

Are black and pink the only vinyl versions available to the general public right now? Surprised the vinyl is a little spendy. Pretty sure I paid like $25 for FTPOF.

Are black and pink the only vinyl versions available to the general public right now? Surprised the vinyl is a little spendy. Pretty sure I paid like $25 for FTPOF.

Yes. Pink is the indie exclusive to my knowledge. Yeah pretty crazy how it is $20 more for an extra disc.

I think I'd rather they hold it until next year, I'm not a huge fan of bands releasing more than one album in a year (Beach House is the only exception)

I think I get this concept in theory, but if you as an artist/band are in a creative peak...which clearly this group seems to be...I don't know if I see the harm in churning out music while the iron is hot. especially a band like The National whose song-writing is often so personal and intimate...I could see a track like Hornets or Space Invader not meaning what they do now to Matt by next summer.

Back