The National

God I love Hornets a lot. I know it's one of the ballads here, but it's beautiful. I had a bootleg of a live version from a show in May, but this recorded version beats it completely. The horns on it are amazing. But I love the lyrics, and the warmth of sound.
I think Hornets 🐝 is my favorite. The second half of the record is really good. Turn Off The House is by far my least favorite. Now that I can actually hear the vocals on Smoke Detector it’s awesome.

Last edited:
About to dive into the new album. Selfishly, I wish this album came out in late November as the shows I'm attending will probably feature a lot less of FTPOF now in favor of the new stuff. I'm sure the new stuff is great but I wanted to hear some of the stuff off the last album. Still, new album when I didn't think we'd get another this quickly.

I now tolerate and kind of like Weird Goodbyes in the context of the album. I realized after 4 listens there's no bad songs on this one. Everything is very decent to amazing.
I had the exact same thought yesterday...I always liked Weird Goodbyes, but kinda just looked at it as a throw away single and a chance to collab with Bon Iver. I think it really fits and shines on this album.

also, I absolutely adore Crumble, but as I keep listening I can't help but feel it has the least National vibe of any National song...I don't quite know how to explain it...maybe it's that its such a classic song structure where so many of their's aren't...maybe its note/key progression...there's just an upbeat tone that's surprising and beautiful with these lyrics

I really love the 3 song run of Laugh Track, Space Invader, and Hornets. And then the ending of Crumble and Smoke Detector to wrap up my first listen highlights. I agree with everybody that this is a much better album than their last just off of the first listen.

I had the exact same thought yesterday...I always liked Weird Goodbyes, but kinda just looked at it as a throw away single and a chance to collab with Bon Iver. I think it really fits and shines on this album.

also, I absolutely adore Crumble, but as I keep listening I can't help but feel it has the least National vibe of any National song...I don't quite know how to explain it...maybe it's that its such a classic song structure where so many of their's aren't...maybe its note/key progression...there's just an upbeat tone that's surprising and beautiful with these lyrics
I hated Weird Goodbyes when I first heard it, but fell in love with it. Agreed, it shines on this album.

I love Crumble so much. That said, I feel like it would fit perfectly on Matt's solo album, Serpentine Prison.

I think my favorites right now are

Deep End, Turn Off The House, Dreaming, Hornets, Tour Manager, Smoke Detector. I don’t dislike anything.

Weird Goodbyes also did grow on me, and it works in the album but at the same time it sticks out cause I’ve heard it so much more than everything else.

Tour Manager doesn’t seem to be getting much love, but I adore the softness of Matt’s singing and the melody of it, plus those twinkling guitars. I think this sound is what something like Ice Machines was trying to do, but they nailed it even better here.

I am assuming the white labels are only shipping now if you checked out with no other pre-order items, yes?

I think my favorites right now are

Deep End, Turn Off The House, Dreaming, Hornets, Tour Manager, Smoke Detector. I don’t dislike anything.

Weird Goodbyes also did grow on me, and it works in the album but at the same time it sticks out cause I’ve heard it so much more than everything else.

Tour Manager doesn’t seem to be getting much love, but I adore the softness of Matt’s singing and the melody of it, plus those twinkling guitars. I think this sound is what something like Ice Machines was trying to do, but they nailed it even better here.
"Tour Manager" along with "Coat on a Hook" are my least favourite songs on the album but maybe they'll grow on me 🤷

feelings right now...

boxer > i am easy to find > trouble will find me > sleep well beast > alligator > laugh track > f2pof > ssfdl > debut
love to find another I am Easy to Find fan. I think it's a stunning album and probably only rank Boxer above it based on nostalgia. my list after those top two will certainly vary (and include High Violet :)), but I put Boxer and I am Easy to Find in a tier to themselves.

Back