The National

Alright, through 2 listens. I think it's all pretty solid except Coat on a Hook and Crumble. I feel like Alphabet City is a fairly weak opener compared to the bulk of their albums' openers. Smoke Detector is one I want to hear done live right meow. I liked FTPOF a lot so this just feels like a bonus. To me, FTPOF spoke a lot to me about needing to heal and move on from the collective trauma of the past 3 years. That album saved the band and made this album possible.

Last edited:
Alright, through 2 listens. I think it's all pretty solid except Coat on a Hook and Crumble. I feel like Alphabet City is a fairly weak opener compared to the bulk of their albums' openers. Smoke Detector is one I want to hear done live right meow. I liked FTPOF a lot so this just feels like a bonus. To me, FTPOF spoke a lot to me about needing to heal and move on from the collective trauma of the past 3 years. That album saved the band and made this album possible.
You are spot on. FTPOF is the kind of album that I can understand criticisms of, but it speaks to me and my own dumb experience during the pandemic. For that reason, it is a calm for me - despite being pretty much a downer. Laugh Track is like the expansion on the ideas, with more refined energy. Can say I did see Smoke Detector live last month and remember it sounding like a full on noise fest - in a good way. I couldn’t understand anything that was going on, but it was the loudest I think I’ve heard them in concert.

I think we got a lot of cool stuff from FTPOF that we couldn’t get if they turned the contrast up like they did on Laugh Track. I also think 20 songs that sound like the 9 non-Alphabet, non-Goodbyes, non-Smoke tracks on Laugh Track would have diminished the whole set of songs. Stepping away from their brighter, punchier sound let them come back to it beautifully, IMO. Sorta reminds me of the last Twin Peaks season where we got Dougie and Mr. C for the majority and then it made Dale Cooper’s return even that more awesome.

I didn't take a lot of photos at Homecoming, just now starting to look at them and this one made me smile. Matt was onstage watching Pavement during a good part of their set.

View attachment 182880
giphy.gif

I'm only really on Facebook for several different groups I'm in about different bands, TV shows, other random things for the memes and discussions. In The National FB group, it seems everyone and their uncle needs to express their opinion that "these two albums should have been just one album! And here is my combined tracklisting:" :rolleyes: It's getting tiring seeing this opinion. I think fans should be grateful to get 2 albums in one year. I previously said I'd rather they wait until next year to release but I'm loving this new album so far. Plus combining these 2 albums feels weird. I think they're very discinct and different. It would be if you combined Boxer and Sleep Well Beast. The songs just don't feel right being combined.

For sure, neither album is as good as some of their previous albums but it is what it is. You take what you can get. There's a lot to like from both Frankenstein and Laugh Track. The media has been churning out "Are the National boring now?" peices over the past year and I think this is starting to seep into people's subconscious. 'I can't possibly like these two albums if everyone is telling me that they're not that good.' seems to be the minor consensus in the FB group and elsewhere.

I'm only really on Facebook for several different groups I'm in about different bands, TV shows, other random things for the memes and discussions. In The National FB group, it seems everyone and their uncle needs to express their opinion that "these two albums should have been just one album! And here is my combined tracklisting:" :rolleyes: It's getting tiring seeing this opinion. I think fans should be grateful to get 2 albums in one year. I previously said I'd rather they wait until next year to release but I'm loving this new album so far. Plus combining these 2 albums feels weird. I think they're very discinct and different. It would be if you combined Boxer and Sleep Well Beast. The songs just don't feel right being combined.

For sure, neither album is as good as some of their previous albums but it is what it is. You take what you can get. There's a lot to like from both Frankenstein and Laugh Track. The media has been churning out "Are the National boring now?" peices over the past year and I think this is starting to seep into people's subconscious. 'I can't possibly like these two albums if everyone is telling me that they're not that good.' seems to be the minor consensus in the FB group and elsewhere.
eh...those same people have also sent money to a Nigerian prince and think the elite are immortal because they consume the blood of children.

Found your problem, right here. Facebook is wonderful if you want to constantly dive into your member berries and act like nothing is as good as what came before. It's a great app to remove so you're not constantly seeing a wave of negativity.

Found your problem, right here. Facebook is wonderful if you want to constantly dive into your member berries and act like nothing is as good as what came before. It's a great app to remove so you're not constantly seeing a wave of negativity.
I mean, yeah. But I curate what I see a great deal. I don't interact with any family members, my family members and friends are barely on there. Plus I'm lucky that I don't have crazy racist/Qanon family members. It's almost exclusively discussion groups for bands or tv show or video games I'm fans of. I know that there's barely any filter so you can still have randos spouting their opinions on there. But it's really not as toxic as I know it can be.

Agreed 💯

I’m definitely tired of the pieces about The National not being the same as they were 20 years ago. I don’t see as many articles about other prolific bands. It’s weird. And I think it definitely colors people’s opinion, even fans. Personally, I also dislike combining track lists or re-arranging them. Then you’re cutting out good stuff no matter what, or changing it to be something it wasn’t intended to be. I mean by all means make your playlists. But I appreciate both albums individually and as companions. If they released this as one album - or a double album - people would still complain about it.

I see those posts, roll my eyes, and scroll on by.

I'm not nearly as active on FB as I used to be - part of that is due to a falling out with a group of friends, another part is it's just an icky platform for people to show off on. I keep it mainly for band info and band groups like you.

"The lights started dimming and then they went out
Heaven came down like a blanket" these lyrics from Laugh Track are hitting me particularly hard 😭 Having lost my Dad suddenly and unexpectedly on Father's Day 💐 is something I'm still struggling to accept. I have no words to express how I feel and hearing these words just resonates powerfully and poignantly. Today, we laid my Dad to rest ⚱️and now starts the grieving process 😞 💔

I wrote a much longer post here originally about this, but it doesn't matter. Point is, after listening to Indiecast off and on over the last year, I've grown so so so tired of Steven Hyden. I used to like his writing, now I just find him irritating.

anyway, here is his dumb article about how he "saved the band from themselves" and made a great album that puts together the "best" of both records: I Made A Great Album By The National Out Of Their Two Uneven 2023 LPs

Ugh. Here's an early quote: "in the end Laugh Track has the same weaknesses as Frankenstein — too many celebrity guest stars, too many same-y sounding piano ballads, too much bloat." I could take all of that to task, but it doesn't matter really. I'll just say, it kinda shows that he and many other people clearly aren't even actually listening to the album they are complaining about.

I wrote a much longer post here originally about this, but it doesn't matter. Point is, after listening to Indiecast off and on over the last year, I've grown so so so tired of Steven Hyden. I used to like his writing, now I just find him irritating.

anyway, here is his dumb article about how he "saved the band from themselves" and made a great album that puts together the "best" of both records: I Made A Great Album By The National Out Of Their Two Uneven 2023 LPs

Ugh. Here's an early quote: "in the end Laugh Track has the same weaknesses as Frankenstein — too many celebrity guest stars, too many same-y sounding piano ballads, too much bloat." I could take all of that to task, but it doesn't matter really. I'll just say, it kinda shows that he and many other people clearly aren't even actually listening to the album they are complaining about.
I can appreciate what he attempted to do here but I don't entirely agree with the song selection 🤷

Back