The National

It’s fun to think of the character Matt writes about in “Slipping Husband” and the contrast of Matt who peaks through on songs about husbands within Trouble Will Find Me, Sleep Well Beast, and now I Am Easy To Find.

Track by track listen on vinyl:

1. You Had Your Soul With You - of course we all know this one already. i like how crazy it is, but it never did a whole ton for me. Buuuut it totally works as an album opener. I think its placement is great, and I've come around on a lot of it

2. Quiet Light - I adore this song. Sure, it does sound like it could have just been on Sleep Well Beast, but I can't help but love it. Also great placement. There's so much depth to the production and the way Matt rattles off the lyrics especially the bridge and chorus is amazing

3. Roman Holiday - this one doesn't stick out too much honestly. The chorus isn't much, the verses are alright. The best part of it though is towards the end when those strings come in and the jagged guitar that's like slightly cutting into the mix. It's pleasing. But Gail Ann Dorsey isn't my favorite vocalist of the guests on the album, and I don't think her added voice does much here

4. Oblivions - I think this might go down as one of those perfect grower songs, maybe a fan favorite over time. The smattering drums are so nice, and the added vocals from Mina Tindle are great. Mostly they work so well because this song feels like a conversation sort of, so the two play off each other perfectly. It's an emotional sort of track, but sort of in a subtle way. I feel it. Also I'm just now finished a beer that I opened to celebrate listening and that may be why I feel this song strongly. But man, it's beautiful.

5. The Pull Of You - this track is insane. First off, Lisa Hannigan is amazing, so hearing her on here is awesome. That spoken word part...mmmm I love it. I can see people not liking it, but I am so into it. "I know I can get attached and then unattached / To my own versions of others" - uh yes. But anyway, Lisa and Matt compliment each other so well, and once again this one works because of how conversational it feels with the two vocals. Anyway, the way the instrumentals sort of hit and spin and keep it dark but punchy is just amazing. This is one of my favorites I think.

6. Hey Rosey - Title makes me think of Animal Collective's "Rosie Oh" but the two aren't remotely similar. Anyway...a lot of Gail on this one. This one kinda feels like something like Fireproof, where I don't feel there's enough to grab me. But that could change so easily with more listens. Instrumentally it's nice. Once again, those strings are perfection. There's a lot of orchestration on this thing, right? I wonder how it'll play live. I keep thinking about that. Looking through the lyrics while listening, I do like them, and they make me like the song more. Ooh and that punch towards the end is niiice. But it's not a standout really.

7. I Am Easy To Find - I can see people not liking this much, but I totally love it. I love the chorus even though it's just the title. That drawn out eeeeassssyyy is real nice. It's kind of a breather of a track, with so much busy sounding pieces that came before, it's good to have a track like this right here. Perfect placement. And although I wish Matt was forward a bit during the dual vocals part, I still like it quite a bit. That ticker tape bit does it for me. Lyrically, a bit sparser but it works I think. The lilting strings that carry it with the repeated piano is nice, but the ending is where I fall in love. The ooohs and small drums and ticker tape...it's a good way to close it out.

8. Her Father In The Pool - just an instrumental - which is unusual for The National, but I think it transitions very nicely into the side C. It's closing out the first disc of vinyl, giving some space between the next batch of tracks. Not much going on, just choral vocals, which kind of make me think they're about to lead to some big ROCK moment, but then I flip the record...and open another beer (do not judge me)

I fell asleep listening last night, not in a this is boring way but more I've been up late excitedly waiting for this stream to drop and it's way past my bed time now way. It's beautiful, melancholic, richly textured, just lovely. Shame I don't have a physical copy yet but my CT copy won't be too far off.

Re Pitchfork I'm fairly sure I've read that their reviews are written separately to their ratings, which are done by a panel, so there can be some jarring results. I really don't mind the review too much, I get it. We don't need outside validation for the music we love and I'm pretty sure this is going to seep in to my bloodstream over the coming weeks/months.

9. Where Is Her Head - fuck yeah. I love this song. It stood out so much when I first listened to the record (the leak). Matt should be a bit more forward at the beginning I think, but it still works nicely. Great opening and just great movement throughout the entire song. The way the lyrics match the instrumentals is amazing. It does feel like it constantly ramping up, and I love that about it. Also the sound, the different voices, the fast lyrics...it all matches that anxiety brain that The National do so well, I think. Definitely an atypical National track, but I love that. It sounds so different, chaotic in a way. How the fuck does this play live? I mean, maybe they won't, but I want to see what it's like.

10. Not In Kansas - this is my favorite song on the record. It's so simple, in a sense, being that it's mostly a repeated guitar line and Matt rattling off a bunch of ideas. But this right here is probably the album centerpiece, and ultimately one I just can't help but absolutely love. Definitely a lyric-focused song. Some of my favorites: "Ohio's in a downward spiral / I can't go back there anymore / Since alt-right opium went viral" and the entire second verse, especially "I'm binging hard on Annette Bening / I'm listening to R.E.M. again / Begin The Begin over and over" - then those guest vocalist come in. Gail's too high in the mix I think. sorry, I just don't love her voice. But this is a really nice moment. Also... "My mother needs an army / But I'm leaving home and I'm scared that I won't / Have the balls to punch a Nazi / Father, what is wrong with me?" - LOVE. God I just can't express how much I love unhinged, stream-of-consciousness Matt. That's why this song works for me. I gravitate to his voice and the lyrics a lot when I listen to the band, so this is like a big gift. I can't unpack everything, but just know: this rules.

11. So Far So Fast - wow, barely any Matt on this one. The music is nice, the vocals work too (cause Lisa Hannigan). But...I mean...I can't help but miss his voice here for a large part of it. I know so many reviews have and will say how this album is great because of all the collaboration, but forgive me for wanting the lead singer of the band to really be present all the way through. Like, I feel like the critical consensus is: The National are really changing it up and that's good because we were sick of what they were doing (even though they weren't). But...I mean, this is a pleasant track. Lisa is amazing in general, perhaps I'm being too bitter right now. There are some electronic bits that come right out of another song on Sleep Well Beast, but I can't place it at the moment. But, I do wish Matt sang this as lead all the way through. If he did, I feel I'd connect more. Maybe it'll grow on me

12. Dust Swirls In Strange Light - strange track - disparate images sung by a youth choir - it is weird. And I don't know how to feel about it yet. But there's something very emotional about it. It ties to the short film directly, so it's making me think of that. But at the same time, it makes me feel nostalgic for my own past. Memory is a big factor on this track, and the film, and as a general concept that totally works for me. But this is a song I can't place my finger on yet. Coming right after a track that had little Matt, having another with absolutely no Matt...agh I don't know...it doesn't feel right. However, this almost works like an interlude, and in that sense it does carry us nicely into the last bit of the album...

13. Hairpin Turns - I had no idea what to make of this when it was released as a single. It didn't do much for me. But it's honestly grown on me. And I like where it is in the track listing. It's still an odd little song, The beats/drums are almost at odds with the piano bits, but that's kinda why I like it now. It's strange. It's almost against itself, even the way Matt slowly sings is not natural, so it gives this uneasy feeling. But then the chorus is beautiful. Not a favorite, but it does feel like on of those late album tracks (like Pink Rabbits) where I don't know what to make of it just yet, but eventually it'll grow on me.

14. Rylan - I've been waiting sooo long to hear the studio version (finally did the other day with the leak) and holy shit does it live up to the wait. From its sparse start to what it is now...I just love the evolution. And this, right here, I don't care what anyone says, is one of the best tracks on the album. Is that my familiarity with it? I don't know. I think it stands apart from that. it just HITS. Everything is on point here, every note placed in the perfect position, Matt's voice finally totally in your ears once again - the lyrics...it does feel like an older National song (cause it is, duh), but it works here. I love it so much. I can't wait to see it live and scream along to it. I will feel it all. That "Rylan, California's rotten" part is SO GOOD. GOD I LOVE IT. Anyway, this song is oddly incredibly nostalgic for me. It reminds me of a close friend (whose friendship flourished as this first was teased way back when) as well as falling in love with my current girlfriend (six years ago) - it represents this period in my life I just feel strongly within me. It's attached to me, and I can't help but champion it. Thank you, The National.

15. Underwater - another instrumental interlude - but it bleeds perfectly from Rylan into the closer. Not much to say, other than I do think it's necessary to bridge the gap between Rylan and Light Years, which are so different.

16. Light Years - other than Rylan (released today as a single), this was the one that stuck the most to me. I just melted when I heard it. It made me feel so much, especially with the video. Yet, it also put me in a funk for at least a day. I felt kinda weirdly sad (can't explain the true feeling exactly). It still makes me feel a lot. i love it. Whatever people think, I don't know. But for me, it's one of those perfect National ballads. I will say, as a closer it kinda works, kinda doesn't. It feels weird after Rylan and then this and it's short and then the album ends. But, I still love it a lot. It just maybe should be a smidge longer, I don't know? It feels like an abrupt ending.

Sorry for this. Had to do it. My opinion will change on many things as I really dive into this album. But I look forward to it. I cannot say how I'd rank this or anything like that. What's my overall opinion? I definitely need more time to process. But...there's a lot to love here. And a lot to get used to. it's a weird album in the chronology of The National. It's gonna take a bit to fully wrap my head around, I think

My copy arrives tomorrow, but to prepare, I've listened to one National album a day, chronologically. Tonight, it's going to be Sleep Well Beast.

The main effect has been that "All the Wine" has been stuck in my head since Sunday.
I did that in the lead up to SWB. All in a two day span. It was crazy.

Tonight I’m going back to spin SWB though. Just to hear it within the context of this one. Also I want to

So I'm spinning the album again instead of SWB (though I guess that's next).

Already walking back my thoughts on Hey Rosey. Goddamn, it's hitting me hard now. It's an emotional ride.

The album title is printed on the sleeve itself
To me and my house rules, that means it’s equivalent to a hype sticker and therefore not part of the album art proper, and I’ll probably toss it.
The CT version. Haven’t got the 3LP yet.

This is the sticker:

View attachment 377
I mean you can barely see it but there’s white lettering there. I haven’t taken it off yet cause I don’t know what to do with it
That white lettering is so light that at first I thought maybe mine was like a temporary tattoo that had some of the letters already rubbed off or something.

Also, got my tickets today for the concert in Indianapolis. I forget who said in the other forum that they have a history of sending a sort of cool thing when it comes to ticket shipments, but these are just some regular Ticketmaster-ass tickets. So much so that I wonder if the reason they took a while for some of us is that they had to wait for TM/LN to print and ship ‘em to THEM before they could turn them around and send them to us.

Makes sense, I guess, I just hadn’t thought about it before now.

Scott ranks the band's records (except IAETF):

I love these interviews/rankings. Although i think Boxer needs to be higher on Scott's list, but I get it I guess.

Taking it one step further than the album ranking... are you ready peeps?

Top 40 The National songs, ranked.

Let the games begin!
I mean, no Bloodbuzz in the top 40?!

Scott ranks the band's records (except IAETF):

I love these interviews/rankings. Although i think Boxer needs to be higher on Scott's list, but I get it I guess.

I'd put Boxer much higher too, but seeing Alligator on top made me happy. It may not be their best album, but it's still my favorite to this day.

Back