The National

Before forming an opinion of the album, even a premature one, I need to listen to it a few times.
I love how summer-y it feels, only High Violet does that... but that album is more “I’m hot, tired, and sick of the heat” while this album is more “Sun! Trees! Let’s Dance”.

is there a definitive fan version? the other one I've heard is the KEXP version that sounds almost identical to the studio one
Just that version, Bryce/Bryan changed it a lot when they started re-playing it again fall ‘17.

And, Matt has tweaked the lyrics even more to include some like I’m guessing Mike Mills came up with; quotes from the short-film.

Even though I wish wer got it sooner... this version is magical. I’ve learned my lesson when Karamazov was neutered into Runaway on the album.

is there a definitive fan version? the other one I've heard is the KEXP version that sounds almost identical to the studio one
That one’s great, the studio version is better.

And to see its origins, there’s a very sparse acoustic version from the TWFM era. It’s on YouTube somewhere (if not, I have the mp3 I can share). It’s very quiet and theres like no drums on it or anything

I’m so confused by that Pitchfork review. Seems pretentious for no reason at all (I mean I know it’s P4K but still). Also bagging on the album and calling it boring yet awarding it a 7.6? Who knows. I haven’t listened to it yet but I’m super excited! Though over an hour gives me slight pause wondering if it should have been more concise.

To those who aren’t wowed by the film:

Please watch it again. And again. It is not a typical short film in any sense, and the structure is definitely experimental, but I have not been so moved by a film in a long, long time.

The beauty of it is amazing and touching , and Vikander is so freaking talented. Only she can suspend the belief of the audience to make you not question her being a newborn, a teenager, an old woman, all without physically aging.

There is so much depth an existentialism in every shot, it’s the perfect glimpse into Mills’ work. He’s truly an underrated genius, and I think this film deserves multiple views.

Rant done.

Back