9. Quiet Light
  10. So Far So Fast
  11. I Am Easy To Find
  12. You Had Your Soul With You
  13. Roman Holiday
  14. Underwater
  15. Her Father in the Pool
  16. Dust Swirls in Strange Light
I really love listening to the whole thing. It feels like a whole piece. But, anyway, I'm gonna give this a try... (though I suspect it'll keep changing)

1. Where Is Her Head
2. Not In Kansas
3. Rylan
4. Hey Rosey
5. So Far So Fast
6. Quiet Light
7. I Am Easy To Find
8. Oblivions
9. The Pull Of You
10. Light Years
11. Hairpin Turns
13. Roman Holiday
14. Dust Swirls In Strange Light
15. Her Father In The Pool
16. Underwater

My ranking after a dozen spins:

1. Oblivions
2. Not In Kansas
3. Rylan
4. Quiet Light
5. I Am Easy To Find
6. Light Years
7. Where Is Her Head
8. The Pull Of You
9. Hey Rosey
10. So Far So Fast
11. Hairpin Turns
13. Roman Holiday
14. Dust Swirls In Strange Light
15. Underwater
16. Her Father In The Pool

YHYSWY is a really poor opener IMO. I think I’m starting to dislike the scattered guitar. It’s fine but it doesn’t fit right with the rest of the album.

YHYSWY is a really poor opener IMO. I think I’m starting to dislike the scattered guitar. It’s fine but it doesn’t fit right with the rest of the album.
It does feel out of place but I kinda like it now. There are certain ways Matt sings lines that get me. But it feels like it’s almost at the point of being a real big upbeat jam but there’s something missing from it. It doesn’t hit as hard as it should

Completely agree, especially on the scattered guitar. Sets a weird starting tone compared to the rest of the album.

I like YHYSWY as an opener. I like the way it kind of segues us from "The National are back!" to "The National are back and they've opened up their home to all these beautiful guests and they're still the same band but they're growing and evolving" or something like that. It works for me but I enjoy the different perspectives and insights in to how others view the album.

i don't know where else other than up front and opening the album that yhyswy could 'fit'
I do agree. It can’t really be put anywhere else on the album. And although it might not set up the rest of the album in sound, I think it’s a fairly nice introduction to the guest vocalists that you’re going to hear later on. It’s like slowly introducing that to you. But there’s still something missing I feel. It should give me this higher energy feeling, but it doesn’t really. I do think it’s better than the upbeat rock songs on SWB though. System might have better instrumentals, but YHYSWY has better lyrics and more interesting delivery.

So heading up to Atlanta alone for The National show, I want to ask some opinions on what I should do.

I have about a two hour drive from where I live to Atlanta. I haven’t driven it alone in quite a while. Seeing that the show starts at 8, I’d expect I wouldn’t get out till...I don’t know 10:30-11:00. At that point I either can jet off back home for another two hour drive or I can stay somewhere in Atlanta, preferably a cheaper but still decent hotel. What’s the better of the two options?

On the one hand, I’d have to spend extra money on a hotel and be alone all night. On the other hand, I’d have to drive late at night on the interstate, which I don’t really like doing (at night and long distances). I drove alone to a Mountain Goats show in Nashville a few years ago and drove back the same night. I hated it.

Anyway, just wondering what the better choice is.

So heading up to Atlanta alone for The National show, I want to ask some opinions on what I should do.

I have about a two hour drive from where I live to Atlanta. I haven’t driven it alone in quite a while. Seeing that the show starts at 8, I’d expect I wouldn’t get out till...I don’t know 10:30-11:00. At that point I either can jet off back home for another two hour drive or I can stay somewhere in Atlanta, preferably a cheaper but still decent hotel. What’s the better of the two options?

On the one hand, I’d have to spend extra money on a hotel and be alone all night. On the other hand, I’d have to drive late at night on the interstate, which I don’t really like doing (at night and long distances). I drove alone to a Mountain Goats show in Nashville a few years ago and drove back the same night. I hated it.

Get the hotel...and enjoy yourself to the fullest at the show.

I always drive home from shows super late, as long as it’s < 3 hours. Although I last did that last month coming back from seeing the Mountain Goats in Montreal and crossing the border on the way back was less than ideal. Total time suck and the roads were brutal with a ton of fog.

Considering it’s only 2 hours I’d probably drive. But you could get a cheap hotel or AirBnB for like $40 and not have to stress about it.

I always drive home from shows super late, as long as it’s < 3 hours. Although I last did that last month coming back from seeing the Mountain Goats in Montreal and crossing the border on the way back was less than ideal. Total time suck and the roads were brutal with a ton of fog.

Considering it’s only 2 hours I’d probably drive. But you could get a cheap hotel or AirBnB for like $40 and not have to stress about it.

Yeah I was going to say look for an AirBnB, maybe something in the same neighborhood as the venue that has parking. Make a night of it!

Yeah I was going to say look for an AirBnB, maybe something in the same neighborhood as the venue that has parking. Make a night of it!

Ah I didn’t even think of AirBnB. I have never used it actually. But I’m gonna look into it and see what’s up. That might be a better way to go than a hotel. I am in Atlanta semi-regularly, every year a few times, but it’s been a while since I’ve driven alone. And I might have to drive my gf’s car which kinda stresses me out cause I’m not used to it and the windows are crazily tinted (it came that way).

Ah I didn’t even think of AirBnB. I have never used it actually. But I’m gonna look into it and see what’s up. That might be a better way to go than a hotel. I am in Atlanta semi-regularly, every year a few times, but it’s been a while since I’ve driven alone. And I might have to drive my gf’s car which kinda stresses me out cause I’m not used to it and the windows are crazily tinted (it came that way).
I'd say stay the night and if you don't have to work the next morning, grab a nice breakfast somewhere. Hotels tonight or Airbnb are the way to go, if you've never used Airbnb I can send you a referral for $40 off your first booking. Feel free to PM me if you need one!

I just did a quick search and there's loads for < $50. Make sure you filter by "entire apartment" that way it's a whole unit to yourself instead of a guest bedroom or something.

I'd say stay the night and if you don't have to work the next morning, grab a nice breakfast somewhere. Hotels tonight or Airbnb are the way to go, if you've never used Airbnb I can send you a referral for $40 off your first booking. Feel free to PM me if you need one!
Is there any price stipulation on that $40 off thing? Like, do I have to find a place that's $100 or something to get the discount?

I just did a quick search and there's loads for < $50. Make sure you filter by "entire apartment" that way it's a whole unit to yourself instead of a guest bedroom or something.

I've been browsing and yeah I see a lot. There's one that is apparently right near the venue...so...really thinking about that.

Is there any price stipulation on that $40 off thing? Like, do I have to find a place that's $100 or something to get the discount?

I've been browsing and yeah I see a lot. There's one that is apparently right near the venue...so...really thinking about that.
I think as long as the place is over $40 you're good...see below:

A Qualifying Reservation must have the minimum total value (excluding guest fees or taxes) indicated in the referral invitation, accompanying promotional materials, Airbnb website, or Airbnb mobile application for that type of reservation. Note that this total value may change based on currency fluctuations. The Qualifying Reservation must be booked and paid for via the Airbnb platform, and the referred friend must complete the stay or the experience before the referring Member can receive Travel Credits. A reservation will not be considered a Qualifying Reservation, and therefore no Travel Credits will be earned, if the referring Member is the host or if the reservation is cancelled at any time.

I think as long as the place is over $40 you're good...see below:

A Qualifying Reservation must have the minimum total value (excluding guest fees or taxes) indicated in the referral invitation, accompanying promotional materials, Airbnb website, or Airbnb mobile application for that type of reservation. Note that this total value may change based on currency fluctuations. The Qualifying Reservation must be booked and paid for via the Airbnb platform, and the referred friend must complete the stay or the experience before the referring Member can receive Travel Credits. A reservation will not be considered a Qualifying Reservation, and therefore no Travel Credits will be earned, if the referring Member is the host or if the reservation is cancelled at any time.
Even if they lose money, the catch is they hope that you keep booking AirBnB’s in the future because of the promotion

Even if they lose money, the catch is they hope that you keep booking AirBnB’s in the future because of the promotion
Yeah, I'm in the midst of planning two weeks in Portugal for this summer and have looked into Airbnb experiences based on the ease of booking the homes.

Back