The National

I’m actually surprised so hear all these negative opinions on SWB. Yeah, the album is slower throughout, but I think it is one of the best albums they have made, solely because it is something that works front to back as one piece of art and storytelling. It’s an album
that demands to be listened to front to back, not picked apart for singles. While it’s a challenging listen, I think it’s so powerful and such a masterclass in writing that only bands like The National can do.
How do you feel about the new album? Because you pretty much just described IAETF right there, minus the challenging listen, of course.

I’m going to pretend you didn’t attack The System as that song fucking rips
I’m actually surprised so hear all these negative opinions on SWB. Yeah, the album is slower throughout, but I think it is one of the best albums they have made, solely because it is something that works front to back as one piece of art and storytelling. It’s an album
that demands to be listened to front to back, not picked apart for singles. While it’s a challenging listen, I think it’s so powerful and such a masterclass in writing that only bands like The National can do.
Look look look SWB was my second favorite album that came out in 2017. I love SWB. But it’s not as good as the new one. I have a pillowcase that says sleep well beast they were selling at one of their shows, that I sleep on every night. It’s just slightly not as good as IAETF

I’m also just finding things that make me realize the new one is better, those two songs always felt too “Grateful Dead-rocky” for me as National songs. I’ve listened to them about 50 times and enjoy them to an extent but criticism is still there.

How do you feel about the new album? Because you pretty much just described IAETF right there, minus the challenging listen, of course.
I do have the same sentiment towards the new album, and do feel like it is an easier listen (i.e. more energy, a bunch of variation song to song, etc). I love it, and i will definitely return to this one more often than SWB, but not because SWB is bad but because of what it requires form the listener. Does that make sense?

Look look look SWB was my second favorite album that came out in 2017. I love SWB. But it’s not as good as the new one. I have a pillowcase that says sleep well beast they were selling at one of their shows, that I sleep on every night. It’s just slightly not as good as IAETF

I’m also just finding things that make me realize the new one is better, those two songs always felt too “Grateful Dead-rocky” for me as National songs. I’ve listened to them about 50 times and enjoy them to an extent but criticism is still there.
I’m just messing with ya ;)

So from reading in here the bag the new album came in is probably ok since it's not touching the vinyl itself. Right?

So from reading in here the bag the new album came in is probably ok since it's not touching the vinyl itself. Right?

I don’t heed vinyl collector warnings about invisible toxins, so, I’ll let you know if my records get ‘cloudy’ in 5 years. ☺

just smell the plastic, does it give off a strong odor then it is troubling, if very little then it might be okay, but it not having direct contact with the vinyl is also very helpful

just smell the plastic, does it give off a strong odor then it is troubling, if very little then it might be okay, but it not having direct contact with the vinyl is also very helpful
Mine smells a bit but either way, I think it looks so much better without the writing in it. It's such a beautiful cover I don't think the words are necessary.

So I'm not sure how it happened or if it came this way but Side C of my Cherry Tree record had a weird curling scratch on it. I honestly can't remember doing anything that caused it so I assumed it came this way. The first track was really noisy and then there would be some skipping during Not In Kansas which is pretty jarring given how that song is built. So I emailed Cherry Tree about it and they're sending me a new Side C & D this week. That's some great customer service.

I was out in the yard yesterday for most of the day and had this on repeat. I think it's finally clicking for me.

Anyone else get a bit of an Arcade Fire vibe from Where Is Her Head? I think that might be my favorite song on the album next to Rylan.

Anyone else get a bit of an Arcade Fire vibe from Where Is Her Head? I think that might be my favorite song on the album next to Rylan.
I can definitely see Arcade Fire. My first thought was Broken Social Scene and someone mentioned Stars. It's definitely different than any other The National track and I do really enjoy it.

I can definitely see Arcade Fire. My first thought was Broken Social Scene and someone mentioned Stars. It's definitely different than any other The National track and I do really enjoy it.

Definitely BSS.

I can't think of the last band to make 6-7 good albums in a row
I’ll throw it out there and say The Mountain Goats have some that depending on where you start counting. They only have like 2 or 3 less than stellar albums imo.

Back