The N&G Top 500 Albums of All Time!!!

Anyone got any tips for how you're assembling your list? Just going through your record and digital collections and making a Google Doc that you can drag stuff around to rearrange, using a third-party website, etc.?
I have all the albums I've ever listened to in an iTunes playlist. I start with the first album alphabetically and write it down on a Google Doc. With the next album, I ask myself if I enjoy it more or less than the first album I wrote down, then put it either above or below the first one respectively. Then I just repeat that process with each subsequent album, comparing it to all the ones I've written down by asking myself if I enjoy it more or less.

And yes, this method is incredibly time-consuming and mind-numbing lol

I'm not going to enjoy cutting this down to 50. I need to figure out criteria to rank between genres. Basically my list is just going to be 50 albums that have been important to me in my life

I've been considering doing an "autobiographical" list, as a way to honor albums that were really important to me in the past but don't resonate anymore (I used Pretty Hate Machine as an example earlier in this thread). I want to include formative artists like Nirvana even though I'm almost never in the mood to listen to them anymore. I may "save" slots 41-50 for albums that fall into this category, but I'm not sure yet.

I've been considering doing an "autobiographical" list, as a way to honor albums that were really important to me in the past but don't resonate anymore (I used Pretty Hate Machine as an example earlier in this thread). I want to include formative artists like Nirvana even though I'm almost never in the mood to listen to them anymore. I may "save" slots 41-50 for albums that fall into this category, but I'm not sure yet.

I'm kind-of doing the opposite to narrow it down I think. If it's something that was formative but I'm not really attracted to it now it probably won't make the cut. If it's something that was formative and I still want to listen to it it's probably in.... my very rough first pass and there is almost nothing from the past few years, which is part of the problem/challenge with these lists.

I'm kind-of doing the opposite to narrow it down I think. If it's something that was formative but I'm not really attracted to it now it probably won't make the cut. If it's something that was formative and I still want to listen to it it's probably in.... my very rough first pass and there is almost nothing from the past few years, which is part of the problem/challenge with these lists.

I think Melodrama is the only one from the last couple years that is likely to make mine. But there is hesitation with 10+ albums from a 5 year period being included. No excuses though, they’re albums I loved then and still love now.

Back