The N&G Top 500 Albums of All Time!!!

Anyone got any tips for how you're assembling your list? Just going through your record and digital collections and making a Google Doc that you can drag stuff around to rearrange, using a third-party website, etc.?

I'm just using a Google Sheet. It's easy enough to add rows and then cut and paste cells up and down.

Since only votes DM’d count, here’s the top 25 from my list! This is a lot HARDER than I thought it would be but I think we’ve got it just right! Try not to be too influenced!

1. Footloose (soundtrack)
2. Shrek (soundtrack)
3. Spring Breakers (soundtrack)
4. Rock 'n' Roll High School (soundtrack)
5. The Perks of Being a Wallflower (soundtrack)
6. Judgment Night (soundtrack)
7. Heavy Metal (soundtrack)
8. Until the End of the World (Soundtrack)
9. About a Boy (soundtrack)
10. Belly (soundtrack)
11. Aaron Carter- Most Requested Hits
12. Color Me Badd- Best of
13. Master P - Remix Classics
14. Vanilla Ice - Best of
15. Mandy Moore- Best of
16. Lou Bega - Mambo Mambo Best of
17. Battletoads- Original Soundtrack
18. Sean Paul- Imperial Blaze
19. Sean Paul- The Trinity
20. Rolling Stones - Dirty Work
21. 100 Gecs - 1000 gecs
22. Beatles- Yellow Submarine
23. Now! That’s what I call Music! - Volume 64
24. Twiztid - A New Nightmare
25. Twinkle Twinkle Little Star - Lullaby Songs of Kesha

So I have 50 now. I might want to tweak with the order before I reveal all, I think I might do a reverse play through on Insta for my reveal, cross posting here in groups of 10 might be fun...

Anyway here’s a list of considered ones that didn’t quite make the grade. The near misses if you will. This isn’t exhaustive and of course there may well be some Beatles, Dylan, Bowie, Radiohead, etc. ones that come higher but I’ve only included the odd bigger one by those artists here as they are well represented in my top 50 and regurgitating their discography is no fun for anyone.

So, in no particular order, my honourable mentions are:

The Beatles - Revolver
Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited
The Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers
Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not
Arctic Monkeys - AM
The Band - Songs From Big Pink
The Clash - London Calling
Buzzcocks - Love Bites
Tom Waits - Mule Variations
The War On Drugs - Lost in the Dream
Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run
Travelling Willburys - Volume 1
Super Furry Animals - Fuzzy Logic
Morrissey - Viva Hate
Morrissey - You Are The Quarry
Nirvana - In Utero
The Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
Idlewild - Hope Is Important
The Coral
Paul McCartney & Wings - Band on the Run
The Stone Roses
The La’s
Suede - Dog Man Star
Prince - Sign “O” The Times
Prince - Purple Rain
Pulp - Different Class
Elastica
Joni Mitchell - For The Roses
Queens of the Stone Age - Rated R
At The Drive-In - Relationship of Command

So everyone on this list likely has a different album represented on your top 50? What a cool idea, and that means London Calling is #2? 🧐

So I have 50 now. I might want to tweak with the order before I reveal all, I think I might do a reverse play through on Insta for my reveal, cross posting here in groups of 10 might be fun...

Anyway here’s a list of considered ones that didn’t quite make the grade. The near misses if you will. This isn’t exhaustive and of course there may well be some Beatles, Dylan, Bowie, Radiohead, etc. ones that come higher but I’ve only included the odd bigger one by those artists here as they are well represented in my top 50 and regurgitating their discography is no fun for anyone.

So, in no particular order, my honourable mentions are:

The Beatles - Revolver
Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited
The Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers
Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not
Arctic Monkeys - AM
The Band - Songs From Big Pink
The Clash - London Calling
Buzzcocks - Love Bites
Tom Waits - Mule Variations
The War On Drugs - Lost in the Dream
Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run
Travelling Willburys - Volume 1
Super Furry Animals - Fuzzy Logic
Morrissey - Viva Hate
Morrissey - You Are The Quarry
Nirvana - In Utero
The Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
Idlewild - Hope Is Important
The Coral
Paul McCartney & Wings - Band on the Run
The Stone Roses
The La’s
Suede - Dog Man Star
Prince - Sign “O” The Times
Prince - Purple Rain
Pulp - Different Class
Elastica
Joni Mitchell - For The Roses
Queens of the Stone Age - Rated R
At The Drive-In - Relationship of Command

Hope Is Important over 100 Broken Windows? Verrrrrrrrrrry interesting :)

So everyone on this list likely has a different album represented on your top 50? What a cool idea, and that means London Calling is #2? 🧐

Not necessarily. Most don’t. That was kinda the point, I didn’t want to list the 9 Beatles or 40 odd Dylan albums that didn’t make it even if they are higher in my list than some of these 😂

The Beatles/Dylan/Stones/Joni Mitchell/Bruce Springsteen all do. The rest don’t.

London Calling is my favourite album by The Clash but just missed out. That said it’s really bugging me and it might while sneak back in there before submission.

Hope Is Important over 100 Broken Windows? Verrrrrrrrrrry interesting :)

Always! With A Remote Part as my second favourite. 100 Broken Windows is my third. There isn’t much between those 3 for me though and all of them are miles ahead of the rest of the discography.

Last edited:
Always! With A Remote Part as my second favourite. 100 Broken Windows is my third. There isn’t must between those 3 for me though and all of them are miles ahead of the rest of the discography.

It's such an amazing 3 album run, but 100BW is my favorite by a longshot. Criminally underrated band. I used to read Roddy's diary entires on their website religiously for music and book recommendations. Only the manics introduced me to more things over the years.

It's such an amazing 3 album run, but 100BW is my favorite by a longshot. Criminally underrated band. I used to read Roddy's diary entires on their website religiously for music and book recommendations. Only the manics introduced me to more things over the years.

What can I say I like that early sound that the NME infamously described as sounding like “a flight of stairs falling down a flight of stairs”

I am intentionally doing this. Otherwise there will be mostly Beatles, Prince, Bowie and Miles.

Yeah there’s a few Bowie, Dylan, Beatles and Radiohead in mine and 2 by a couple of other artists. I kinda went with the, I prefer this album to that one and sod it that makes it deserve more points, approach

Yeah there’s a few Bowie, Dylan, Beatles and Radiohead in mine and 2 by a couple of other artists. I kinda went with the, I prefer this album to that one and sod it that makes it deserve more points, approach
I gotcha I really did this to diversify. I mean most all of these acts are going to have multiple entries in the final list. My top 11 is pretty definitive for me even with out repeat artists, so I’m happy to continue it through out.

I gotcha I really did this to diversify. I mean most all of these acts are going to have multiple entries in the final list. My top 11 is pretty definitive for me even with out repeat artists, so I’m happy to continue it through out.

Yeah that’s fair enough. I don’t think there is a “right way” just the way that suits yourself and your taste best!

I’m finding the most difficult part is removing some artists entirely because the albums are not nearly as good as the one or two songs that I love from the album.

Edit: Also, holy shit I am REALLY a product of the 90’s - 00’s

Last edited:
Back