The N&G Top 500 Albums of All Time!!!

Omg same......šŸ˜¶

Iā€™ve done a top 25 draft, and there was only 1 female artist compared to 24 male artists in there.....
Yeah, it stinks because my AOTYs for 2018, 2019, and 2020 so far are all female, but I don't feel enough time has passed to properly contextualize them on a Top 100 list. I also struggle with the balance of "favorite" and "greatest" in formulating my list.

Yeah, it stinks because my AOTYs for 2018, 2019, and 2020 so far are all female, but I don't feel enough time has passed to properly contextualize them on a Top 100 list. I also struggle with the balance of "favorite" and "greatest" in formulating my list.

Agreed, the 2010s and even the 2000s feel a bit too recent for me. But I still donā€™t understand the need to consider ā€œgreatnessā€ when putting these lists together. Just pick the albums that give you feels!

On the contrary, most of my picks will likely skew to the 2010s considering it was the first decade where I really started paying attention to music (by way of being the first decade I was old enough to be paying attention to music). Most of my favorite albums are post-1990 and there will probably be a few outliers but I wouldn't expect to see too many "classics" on my list. Also, my list will contain no Bob Dylan and probably no jazz, which puts me at odds with at least 95% of the forum by default.

On the contrary, most of my picks will likely skew to the 2010s considering it was the first decade where I really started paying attention to music (by way of being the first decade I was old enough to be paying attention to music). Most of my favorite albums are post-1990 and there will probably be a few outliers but I wouldn't expect to see too many "classics" on my list. Also, my list will contain no Bob Dylan and probably no jazz, which puts me at odds with at least 95% of the forum by default.

Eh, you may be surprised. I own almost 200 jazz LPs but the first draft of my top 50 list features only 1-2 jazz albums. Iā€™ve only been listening to jazz for 5 years or so, not enough time to develop an emotional relationship with most of the albums that Iā€™ve acquired in that period.

Eh, you may be surprised. I own almost 200 jazz LPs but the first draft of my top 50 list features only 1-2 jazz albums. Iā€™ve only been listening to jazz for 5 years or so, not enough time to develop an emotional relationship with most of the albums that Iā€™ve acquired in that period.
That's kind of where I will end up being - perhaps 3 or 4 Jazz albums out of my top 100. Most of my Jazz rests in the "I really like listening to this, but I haven't developed deep connections to specific albums"

i think there will only be like 2 jazz albums (a tribute to jack johnson and headhunters) and 2 dylan albums (highway 61 and bringing it all back home).. depending on how big the list is.. though i know there will be a HEAVY skew towards 2000s and 2010s indie music

So im thinking lists are due by December 1st. You can hand them in earlier if you want, but there will be no editing, once a list is in, its in. Only lists that are DMed to me will count. The next month will be a For Your Consideration period where people can share their favorites, debate, rant, etc....

I'll update the OP with all the rules and whatnot later today

This is gonna be tough. I'm definitely going to skew more towards favorites though I'm going to enjoy revisiting some of the albums I havent listened to in awhile and see how they hold up.

Definitely can't write off the last decade as I'm too young (I like to think) to have exclusively albums pre-2010 and I didn't have the hardcore love for Classic rock growing up that some did (with the exception of Zeppelin, The Doors, and Sabbath). But I doubt I'll add any albums from this year or last since they're still too fresh.

And I love love Jazz, but unfortunately I would be surprised if any more than 1-2 picks make my top 50. It's primarily my chill genre. I love to put it on the turntable and zone out or put on the background while I'm getting mindless busy work done. But unfortunately I don't have the appreciation of some to really dive deep and enjoy the intricacies, though it's definitely one of my goals to get there.
Same with Vocal Jazz. I love me some Ella, Nina, Billie, etc but I you can put on any of their albums and i'll enjoy it. Its more their vocals and delivery, rather than the material itself that really gets me so although I have some I prefer over others, it's not significant.
I'm sure Jazz will get more than enough love on here though....

Back