The N&G Top 500 Albums of All Time!!!

this isn't well thought through so there's probably a big hole in the logic, but what about a tiered grading system...

10 x 10pt albums
10 x 9pt albums
10 x 8pt albums
etc to 100

I suggest this b/c if I were a betting man, I'd put odds on if 100 people make lists, we're going to have 90-95 different #1 albums, especially if the voting ends up skewing more toward "favorite"opposed to "best/important"...but I think we'd end up seeing a lot more parity in our top 10s

this isn't well thought through so there's probably a big hole in the logic, but what about a tiered grading system...

10 x 10pt albums
10 x 9pt albums
10 x 8pt albums
etc to 100

I suggest this b/c if I were a betting man, I'd put odds on if 100 people make lists, we're going to have 90-95 different #1 albums, especially if the voting ends up skewing more toward "favorite"opposed to "best/important"...but I think we'd end up seeing a lot more parity in our top 10s
There might be 95% unique #1s but chances are that someone's #1 is someone else's #3, and someone else's #6, etc.

There might be 95% unique #1s but chances are that someone's #1 is someone else's #3, and someone else's #6, etc.

Yep and it’s more likely to have clear outcomes with every choice in every list having different points than everyone having groups of 10 with the same points. If anything that’s more likely to homogenise the outcome. Also while it’s a tight call between my top 3/4 I think that whichever of those ends up on top is clearly better than my number 10 and so deserves a higher score.

is Schindler’s List a great movie? Without question. The subject matter is important. It’s artistically shot. The acting is superb. It’s a well-crafted, great movie. I liked it. But I’ll never watch it again.

I’ve seen Raiders of the Lost Ark over 100 times and will probably watch it again and again. Is it “better” than Schindler’s List? No. But I would put Raiders on my list of 50 greatest movies and I’d leave out Schindler’s List.

That’s kind of the approach I took in composing my list of 50. It doesn’t have guilty pleasures on there (otherwise 3 spots would go to Babymetal). But it also doesn’t have some of the canonical “best” stuff because I don't listen to them very often or they are really dependent on my mood.

is Schindler’s List a great movie? Without question. The subject matter is important. It’s artistically shot. The acting is superb. It’s a well-crafted, great movie. I liked it. But I’ll never watch it again.

I’ve seen Raiders of the Lost Ark over 100 times and will probably watch it again and again. Is it “better” than Schindler’s List? No. But I would put Raiders on my list of 50 greatest movies and I’d leave out Schindler’s List.

That’s kind of the approach I took in composing my list of 50. It doesn’t have guilty pleasures on there (otherwise 3 spots would go to Babymetal). But it also doesn’t have some of the canonical “best” stuff because I don't listen to them very often or they are really dependent on my mood.

I can’t emphasize enough how much I’m hoping that all of our lists will be composed of favorites only. Otherwise the final list will be nothing more than regurgitated canon.

(As it is, our personal favorites will probably have been somewhat influenced by canonical lists.)

I just made a first pass and have a list of 157 albums just going through my collection that I would consider for the list. This is going to be hard...

have we landed of 50 v 100 yet? Or the option of going to 100 with #1 being ranked as say 100 puts and descending through the list? So if you only pick 50, your 50th LP is ranked as 50 points no matter whether you choose 50 or 100.

I have live albums included, and a couple soundtracks that are original score type (not compilations,) didn’t include EPs

I assume the lists will have a bit of crossover, but there is such a wide range of tastes and interests on here this master list is going to be pretty wild.

I just made a first pass and have a list of 157 albums just going through my collection that I would consider for the list. This is going to be hard...

have we landed of 50 v 100 yet? Or the option of going to 100 with #1 being ranked as say 100 puts and descending through the list? So if you only pick 50, your 50th LP is ranked as 50 points no matter whether you choose 50 or 100.

I have live albums included, and a couple soundtracks that are original score type (not compilations,) didn’t include EPs

I assume the lists will have a bit of crossover, but there is such a wide range of tastes and interests on here this master list is going to be pretty wild.

I think voting on the issues is open through this weekend. Link on the first post.

I can’t emphasize enough how much I’m hoping that all of our lists will be composed of favorites only. Otherwise the final list will be nothing more than regurgitated canon.

(As it is, our personal favorites will probably have been somewhat influenced by canonical lists.)
You assume we all agree with the canon. People who care about being perceived to have "good" taste will regurgitate canon and claim it's their personal favorite anyway.

I like the idea of a list of what we really think is *good*. We have favorite lists every year. I'm really fine either way, I just don't buy that our best lists would just echo Rolling Stone and Pitchfork.

So I just switched my vote from Top 100 to top 50. I am almost through my vinyl (2 kallax cubes left) and still need to go through my cds and I am at 97 so far.

My reasoning for switching to 50 is that it will probably very easy for me to pare my list down to 100 without really thinking too much about it. But getting it down to 50 I will have to really think hard why do I love each record so much.

I would go so far as to say put your Babymetal albums in there. The more accurate reflection of the forum, the better.

Now I'm afraid of how judged I will be for having a number one that is a canonized "best of decade" type album! 😉

But in my defense, when I bought the album and fell in love with it, I didn't hear any songs from it on the radio, not a single person I knew listened to the band, and it completely changed my musical life. So too bad, I'm still putting it.

Now I'm afraid of how judged I will be for having a number one that is a canonized "best of decade" type album! 😉

But in my defense, when I bought the album and fell in love with it, I didn't hear any songs from it on the radio, not a single person I knew listened to the band, and it completely changed my musical life. So too bad, I'm still putting it.
I mean, a lot of canonical albums are fucking great!

My #1 is a common #1 on these lists, so I am right there with you. But it is a gorgeous album, innovative and hits hard emotionally.

So I just switched my vote from Top 100 to top 50. I am almost through my vinyl (2 kallax cubes left) and still need to go through my cds and I am at 97 so far.

My reasoning for switching to 50 is that it will probably very easy for me to pare my list down to 100 without really thinking too much about it. But getting it down to 50 I will have to really think hard why do I love each record so much.
Yes! I agree with switching it to 50 is also great for that reason! You have to really think hard about why an album you love might not make the top 50! Makes it more essential too! 🤝💯

Like shit, I don’t know if Britney Spears’ Blackout and Justin Timberlake’s FutureSex/LoveSounds would make the top 50 cut to be honest! 😅🙇‍♂️✍️💭🤔

I’m so excited to form my top 50 / 100 all-time list and to see everyone else’s all-time lists! 😍

My #1 is Sgt. Pepper’s, and I think we’ll both survive.

no comps. comps is a cheatin' hot mess.
what about compilations of artists who were only on 78s

like muddy waters plantation recordings..

or what if a compilation album is miles better than even a singlular album an artist has done

what about compilations of artists who were only on 78s

like muddy waters plantation recordings..

or what if a compilation album is miles better than even a singlular album an artist has done

I think the consensus is do what you want, I was thinking of the “Muddy dilema” as well and for that I’m just gonna put down a comp of his work, but that’s very unique. I think outside of that I can’t justify putting down a soundtrack or a comp or something just because one of my favorite songs ever is only available on that comp

Working on my draft, and this is definitely hard. And I'm not terribly pleased at how underrepresented female artists are going to be on my list.
Omg same......😶

I’ve done a top 25 draft, and there was only 1 female artist compared to 24 male artists in there.....

Back