The MF'ing DMV

Yes, they screwed me on my Real ID by not mentioning it on the renewal form or at all when renewing online, their preferred renewal method.

Wait, am I in the right thread?

Yeah, my wife and I are gonna have to go in to get our Real IDs. Not looking forward to it.

I just bought a ticket for Orville Peck at the 9:30 on May 20, 2020. Anyone else coming? No word on who the opener is but I’m hoping the Ruen Brothers will stay on as his opener. I checked the tour dates on their website and it doesn’t show anything, but this date also doesn’t show up on Orville Peck’s site either yet.

I just bought a ticket for Orville Peck at the 9:30 on May 20, 2020. Anyone else coming? No word on who the opener is but I’m hoping the Ruen Brothers will stay on as his opener. I checked the tour dates on their website and it doesn’t show anything, but this date also doesn’t show up on Orville Peck’s site either yet.
That's going to be a fun show! Do you think this will sell out soon? I need to wait to buy tickets.

That's going to be a fun show! Do you think this will sell out soon? I need to wait to buy tickets.
I don’t know - I’m always surprised by which shows sell out in DC and which ones don’t haha. I feel like he’s pretty popular but he also tours quite a bit and it looks like he was just here in September for a show at the union stage.

Orville Peck was supposed to be last week but was postponed, and I just looked at the 9:30 club’s covid update page and they have Nicole Atkins listed as postponed, too.
It doesn’t seem like they’re sending out emails to everyone who bought tickets, but hopefully they will once these are rescheduled.

Orville Peck was supposed to be last week but was postponed, and I just looked at the 9:30 club’s covid update page and they have Nicole Atkins listed as postponed, too.
It doesn’t seem like they’re sending out emails to everyone who bought tickets, but hopefully they will once these are rescheduled.
I don't think DC can continue to sustain the amount of venues that have recently opened up. We're gonna lose some. I do so hope it isn't the 9:30 club or the black cat. U street can go. I'm willing to sacrifice that venue.

I don't think DC can continue to sustain the amount of venues that have recently opened up. We're gonna lose some. I do so hope it isn't the 9:30 club or the black cat. U street can go. I'm willing to sacrifice that venue.

I love Lincoln Theatre but it seems like they don’t have nearly as much going on since the Anthem opened. It was a great place to see more acoustic-type performers that didn’t need any flashy lightshow or smoke machines or whatever, but it seems like even those types of performers are going elsewhere now. I feel like there aren’t enough bars/bartenders there either so it takes way longer than it should to get a drink. And it’s annoying having to sit in those seats. But some of my favorite shows in DC were there: Fiona Apple/Blake Mills, Spiritualized, Thievery Corporation, Tallest Man on Earth, Cat Power, and Brian Wilson (performing all of Pet Sounds).

Same goes for DAR: I saw Nick Cave, Sufjan Stevens, Sturgill Simpson, and Neutral Milk Hotel there - all memorably great shows - but not the greatest venue and fortunately it seems like most of their bookings have moved to the Anthem.

I love Lincoln Theatre but it seems like they don’t have nearly as much going on since the Anthem opened. It was a great place to see more acoustic-type performers that didn’t need any flashy lightshow or smoke machines or whatever, but it seems like even those types of performers are going elsewhere now. I feel like there aren’t enough bars/bartenders there either so it takes way longer than it should to get a drink. And it’s annoying having to sit in those seats. But some of my favorite shows in DC were there: Fiona Apple/Blake Mills, Spiritualized, Thievery Corporation, Tallest Man on Earth, Cat Power, and Brian Wilson (performing all of Pet Sounds).

Same goes for DAR: I saw Nick Cave, Sufjan Stevens, Sturgill Simpson, and Neutral Milk Hotel there - all memorably great shows - but not the greatest venue and fortunately it seems like most of their bookings have moved to the Anthem.

I saw The National open for Arcade Fire several years ago at DAR. It was actually what got me into The National. But that place. SMH. They wouldn't let people dance in the aisles. Welp, Win wasn't having that. He said something like, "Sorry to security, but we're going to dance!" And invited everyone into the aisles up front and that was the end of security's "no dancing in the aisles" rule.

I don't mind the venue at all. It has to be paired with the right act. Those seats and how far you feel from the stage does not lend itself to all bands - the audience tends to be more subduded in that venue. And some bands do not do well in that environment. One of the worst shows I ever saw was The Pixies reunion tour and it was at DAR. They already clearly hated each other and didn't even speak to each other. It was awkward. Add that into the crowd not being able to really move and engage, it was just abysmal. The crowd was feeding into the bands' low/don't want to be here energy and the band was feeding into the crowds' inability to get into it energy. It was unpleasant.

On the other hand, Bruce Springsteen, very long ago, did an acoustic only tour. And he asked the audience to hush and sit and listen. That show worked really well there.

I just got a reschedule notice for Nicole Atkins. Cool!

Except.

It is on July 10.

That seems far too soon for me to crowd into a club with cooties. @Ericj32 ? what say you?

Just got this e-mail and came here to post this because I had the exact same reaction. Why would they reschedule it for basically the same day (I think it’s actually one day earlier)? Makes no sense.

Then I looked at the year - it’s for 2021.

So, I mean, HOPEFULLY that’s long enough?! Haha

Just got this e-mail and came here to post this because I had the exact same reaction. Why would they reschedule it for basically the same day (I think it’s actually one day earlier)? Makes no sense.

Then I looked at the year - it’s for 2021.

So, I mean, HOPEFULLY that’s long enough?! Haha
HA! I didn't notice the year. Lol.

I'm giggling.

A full damn year away. OK! Let's hope things are under control by then. I was about to email Nicole and ask her WTF. I'm so glad I didn't. SMH

*get your shit together, teeeee!*

HA! I didn't notice the year. Lol.

I'm giggling.

A full damn year away. OK! Let's hope things are under control by then. I was about to email Nicole and ask her WTF. I'm so glad I didn't. SMH

*get your shit together, teeeee!*

I had a good couple of minutes of thinking "well, I guess maybe both Nicole and the venue are hurting for cash right now, so they can't afford to really postpone it and maybe I should just not go and not get a refund either so it's more like a donation to help them both stay afloat financially. Or maybe I could go and I just won't shower for a few days leading up to it so no one stands too close to me for too long...." before I saw the year.

Sad news - U st music hall is closing its doors permanently. Which also means that the Nicole Atkins show that was postponed til NEXT July is now cancelled. 😔

I saw this the other day and made a status update on it. Very, very sad indeed. The last concert I went to before the shutdown was Poppy's sold out show back in February at the U Hall. Such an amazing, small venue. It will surely be missed.

I saw this the other day and made a status update on it. Very, very sad indeed. The last concert I went to before the shutdown was Poppy's sold out show back in February at the U Hall. Such an amazing, small venue. It will surely be missed.

I saw Black Pumas and black midi there last year (and had tickets for Nicole Atkins and Overcoats this year). Such great bands and such affordable prices. I also liked that it was small and intimate enough that people didn’t just talk over the performance (as happens at sooooo many shows here in DC).

The Beach Bunny show I was supposed to see there got rescheduled to Nov 12, 2021 at the 9:30 Club. In the end, I never got to go to U St. :(

DC residents, where do you go shopping? I really liked Hill and Dale Records in Georgetown but they unfortunately permanently closed during the pandemic. Any good recommendations in the District? I've been to Joint Custody and Som records, they're OK

DC residents, where do you go shopping? I really liked Hill and Dale Records in Georgetown but they unfortunately permanently closed during the pandemic. Any good recommendations in the District? I've been to Joint Custody and Som records, they're OK
If you don’t mind going out to Silver Spring, Record Exchange was a favorite of mine

If you don’t mind going out to Silver Spring, Record Exchange was a favorite of mine

Agreed, Silver Spring is usually where I try to go because they have Record Exchange and Joe's Record Paradise. I love both shops, but they're very different. All used stuff at Joe's, and a ton of it, so if you're looking for used older stuff that's a great place to go.

My favorite is Crooked Beat Records. They used to be in Adams Morgan but now are in Old Town Alexandria. Good mixed of new and used records.

Back