The MF'ing DMV

kvetcha

Yes, they screwed me on my Real ID by not mentioning it on the renewal form or at all when renewing online, their preferred renewal method.

Wait, am I in the right thread?
Yeah, my wife and I are gonna have to go in to get our Real IDs. Not looking forward to it.

Ericj32

I just bought a ticket for Orville Peck at the 9:30 on May 20, 2020. Anyone else coming? No word on who the opener is but I’m hoping the Ruen Brothers will stay on as his opener. I checked the tour dates on their website and it doesn’t show anything, but this date also doesn’t show up on Orville Peck’s site either yet.

Teeeee

I just bought a ticket for Orville Peck at the 9:30 on May 20, 2020. Anyone else coming? No word on who the opener is but I’m hoping the Ruen Brothers will stay on as his opener. I checked the tour dates on their website and it doesn’t show anything, but this date also doesn’t show up on Orville Peck’s site either yet.
That's going to be a fun show! Do you think this will sell out soon? I need to wait to buy tickets.

Ericj32

That's going to be a fun show! Do you think this will sell out soon? I need to wait to buy tickets.
I don’t know - I’m always surprised by which shows sell out in DC and which ones don’t haha. I feel like he’s pretty popular but he also tours quite a bit and it looks like he was just here in September for a show at the union stage.

Ericj32

Orville Peck was supposed to be last week but was postponed, and I just looked at the 9:30 club’s covid update page and they have Nicole Atkins listed as postponed, too.
It doesn’t seem like they’re sending out emails to everyone who bought tickets, but hopefully they will once these are rescheduled.

Teeeee

Orville Peck was supposed to be last week but was postponed, and I just looked at the 9:30 club’s covid update page and they have Nicole Atkins listed as postponed, too.
It doesn’t seem like they’re sending out emails to everyone who bought tickets, but hopefully they will once these are rescheduled.
I don't think DC can continue to sustain the amount of venues that have recently opened up. We're gonna lose some. I do so hope it isn't the 9:30 club or the black cat. U street can go. I'm willing to sacrifice that venue.

Ericj32

I don't think DC can continue to sustain the amount of venues that have recently opened up. We're gonna lose some. I do so hope it isn't the 9:30 club or the black cat. U street can go. I'm willing to sacrifice that venue.
I love Lincoln Theatre but it seems like they don’t have nearly as much going on since the Anthem opened. It was a great place to see more acoustic-type performers that didn’t need any flashy lightshow or smoke machines or whatever, but it seems like even those types of performers are going elsewhere now. I feel like there aren’t enough bars/bartenders there either so it takes way longer than it should to get a drink. And it’s annoying having to sit in those seats. But some of my favorite shows in DC were there: Fiona Apple/Blake Mills, Spiritualized, Thievery Corporation, Tallest Man on Earth, Cat Power, and Brian Wilson (performing all of Pet Sounds).

Same goes for DAR: I saw Nick Cave, Sufjan Stevens, Sturgill Simpson, and Neutral Milk Hotel there - all memorably great shows - but not the greatest venue and fortunately it seems like most of their bookings have moved to the Anthem.

Teeeee

I love Lincoln Theatre but it seems like they don’t have nearly as much going on since the Anthem opened. It was a great place to see more acoustic-type performers that didn’t need any flashy lightshow or smoke machines or whatever, but it seems like even those types of performers are going elsewhere now. I feel like there aren’t enough bars/bartenders there either so it takes way longer than it should to get a drink. And it’s annoying having to sit in those seats. But some of my favorite shows in DC were there: Fiona Apple/Blake Mills, Spiritualized, Thievery Corporation, Tallest Man on Earth, Cat Power, and Brian Wilson (performing all of Pet Sounds).

Same goes for DAR: I saw Nick Cave, Sufjan Stevens, Sturgill Simpson, and Neutral Milk Hotel there - all memorably great shows - but not the greatest venue and fortunately it seems like most of their bookings have moved to the Anthem.
I saw The National open for Arcade Fire several years ago at DAR. It was actually what got me into The National. But that place. SMH. They wouldn't let people dance in the aisles. Welp, Win wasn't having that. He said something like, "Sorry to security, but we're going to dance!" And invited everyone into the aisles up front and that was the end of security's "no dancing in the aisles" rule.

I don't mind the venue at all. It has to be paired with the right act. Those seats and how far you feel from the stage does not lend itself to all bands - the audience tends to be more subduded in that venue. And some bands do not do well in that environment. One of the worst shows I ever saw was The Pixies reunion tour and it was at DAR. They already clearly hated each other and didn't even speak to each other. It was awkward. Add that into the crowd not being able to really move and engage, it was just abysmal. The crowd was feeding into the bands' low/don't want to be here energy and the band was feeding into the crowds' inability to get into it energy. It was unpleasant.

On the other hand, Bruce Springsteen, very long ago, did an acoustic only tour. And he asked the audience to hush and sit and listen. That show worked really well there.