The Kicker of Elves Rekkid Club

I hope you guys all enjoy the first album! I guess I'll say a bit about it.

This album came out during an odd time in my life! My college undergrad experience was a pretty lonely one. I was painfully shy up into my early 20s and moved to Austin for school with my best friend from high school. During college I would pretty much just hang out with him and his older brother who lived nearby, we'd watch TV and play videogames and I'd go back to my room in our apartment to listen to music. Time not at home or at school was spent on the bus to or from school, for the most part, or I'd make the drive back to Houston to hang out with my family on the weekends (I did this A LOT because I did not have FRIENDS).

This album leaked to the WEB during the Summer of 2005, and I became obsessed with it while at home from college for the Summer. I remember in particular just playing 'Corporeal' over and over again while staring at the windows media player "visualizer" shimmery thing. I really loved the broken electronics sounds throughout it, and how everything sounds like it could be falling apart or degrading as you listen to it while still being really catchy songs with choruses and everything. It felt like its own world and so did I, which was a lonely way to be but the album helped make that feel less so. I love, love, love Trish Keenan's voice and wish she was still with us. This album will always remind me of the heat and dog days of Summer which is why I picked it for August.

I hope you guys all enjoy the first album! I guess I'll say a bit about it.

This album came out during an odd time in my life! My college undergrad experience was a pretty lonely one. I was painfully shy up into my early 20s and moved to Austin for school with my best friend from high school. During college I would pretty much just hang out with him and his older brother who lived nearby, we'd watch TV and play videogames and I'd go back to my room in our apartment to listen to music. Time not at home or at school was spent on the bus to or from school, for the most part, or I'd make the drive back to Houston to hang out with my family on the weekends (I did this A LOT because I did not have FRIENDS).

This album leaked to the WEB during the Summer of 2005, and I became obsessed with it while at home from college for the Summer. I remember in particular just playing 'Corporeal' over and over again while staring at the windows media player "visualizer" shimmery thing. I really loved the broken electronics sounds throughout it, and how everything sounds like it could be falling apart or degrading as you listen to it while still being really catchy songs with choruses and everything. It felt like its own world and so did I, which was a lonely way to be but the album helped make that feel less so. I love, love, love Trish Keenan's voice and wish she was still with us. This album will always remind me of the heat and dog days of Summer which is why I picked it for August.
Holy crap. I didn't know she had passed away. How sad!

This sounds like a combination of Stereolab and the Savages and weird French pop that I adore.

How are their other albums? This is honestly the first I've listened to Broadcast and I'm very much digging it. Homerun on the first pitch!!! And how could you have no friends? Shame on anyone that encountered you and did not recognize the brilliance they were missing out on.

Holy crap. I didn't know she had passed away. How sad!

This sounds like a combination of Stereolab and the Savages and weird French pop that I adore.

How are their other albums? This is honestly the first I've listened to Broadcast and I'm very much digging it. Homerun on the first pitch!!! And how could you have no friends? Shame on anyone that encountered you and did not recognize the brilliance they were missing out on.

Severe untreated social anxiety! I just didn't talk to anyone, which makes the friends part difficult. I ended up having very bad panic attacks and finally took advantage of UT's student counseling and therapy and I've been able to talk to people just fine ever since*!

Their other albums are all great, this one is just special to me. 'Haha Sound' is another really good one, the song 'Pendulum' was the first Broadcast song I ever heard and it grabbed me.

*(citation needed)

time for a KoE002 preview!

I saw Eskimeaux, when they were still called that, open for Mitski at a small spot in Houston (RIP Walter's). You know when you go in knowing nothing about an opening band and they absolutely crack you open and put you back together a little bit better than you were before? Yeah, they did that.

Pressed to talk about how they sound, I'd say the small-big emotional and physical world building of a Frankie Cosmos somehow combined with the big elemental / mythic scope of mid-to-late Elverum as The Microphones. This song in particular still give me chills every time, most often in the "you coward / you hummingbird" part at the end. Gabby is a GREAT lyric (and song) writer, one of the best in my opinion.

I think you'll like this one too! Expect it in September, hoping earlier in the month then last time.

*full lyrics of track above because they are amazing:

Oh, how my heart can fly when your smile has good intentions
(and "hi" can mean the world to me)
And I know singing makes you shy when it's in front of me and my friends
(but your singing means the world to me)

And how I tried to keep my cool when we disappointed you
You waxen wing, you foolish thing
And oh, how I can still taste your tongue-tied stare upon my face
You dirty look, you burning bush

So here I sit, I've come to rest some weight upon your little chest
You free-for-all, you wrecking ball
Hovering next to your bed, to lay waste to your healthy head
You spider web, you dance of death

I believe you'd be so cold to leave me hanging all day long
You prickly frost, you courage lost
But I could never be so mad to shake you by the shoulders screaming
You coward!
You hummingbird!
You coward!
You hummingbird!

I screamed out, "how'd it get this bad?"
And the thunder answered back
"If you know not what you lack then you must unturn your back
your inside is overcast and you are tethered to your past
and it must feel like fucking hell to be a patchwork of yourself

A bunch of scraps thrown and sewn around your bones
And though you're alone it's holding you too tightly

But who are you?
From where do you come?
What do you believe in?
And whom do you love?"

time for a KoE002 preview!

I saw Eskimeaux, when they were still called that, open for Mitski at a small spot in Houston (RIP Walter's). You know when you go in knowing nothing about an opening band and they absolutely crack you open and put you back together a little bit better than you were before? Yeah, they did that.

Pressed to talk about how they sound, I'd say the small-big emotional and physical world building of a Frankie Cosmos somehow combined with the big elemental / mythic scope of mid-to-late Elverum as The Microphones. This song in particular still give me chills every time, most often in the "you coward / you hummingbird" part at the end. Gabby is a GREAT lyric (and song) writer, one of the best in my opinion.

I think you'll like this one too! Expect it in September, hoping earlier in the month then last time.

*full lyrics of track above because they are amazing:

Oh, how my heart can fly when your smile has good intentions
(and "hi" can mean the world to me)
And I know singing makes you shy when it's in front of me and my friends
(but your singing means the world to me)

And how I tried to keep my cool when we disappointed you
You waxen wing, you foolish thing
And oh, how I can still taste your tongue-tied stare upon my face
You dirty look, you burning bush

So here I sit, I've come to rest some weight upon your little chest
You free-for-all, you wrecking ball
Hovering next to your bed, to lay waste to your healthy head
You spider web, you dance of death

I believe you'd be so cold to leave me hanging all day long
You prickly frost, you courage lost
But I could never be so mad to shake you by the shoulders screaming
You coward!
You hummingbird!
You coward!
You hummingbird!

"If you know not what you lack then you must unturn your back
your inside is overcast and you are tethered to your past
and it must feel like fucking hell to be a patchwork of yourself

A bunch of scraps thrown and sewn around your bones
And though you're alone it's holding you too tightly

But who are you?
From where do you come?
What do you believe in?
And whom do you love?"

Gabby/Eskimeaux are the same? This is new info to me!

I love when an opener blows me away. Basia Bulat did that for me when I saw Devotchka. She made my jaw drop to the ground. Devotchka was a disappointment after her.

Psyched to hear this! This lyric you quoted above really spoke to me:

oh my GOSH I was worried that the Olivia Tremor Control reissues had gone out of print but I just wrote Henry at Chunklet and they're actually pressing up a new batch as we speak. MEANT 2 BE.

It's the perfect late fall record and I was really stoked to get it to you guys and talk about it so PHEW
You are simply the best.

I got mine! I just forgot to say anything. I have not yet had a chance to listen. I shall and report back.

Koe for life!!!

ok WHEW. I'm so glad!

I have November records already but I still wanna stick to the timeline. October is going to be Earth 2 by Earth, which is one of my favorite albums ever, and I will say more about that later! It's a little out there compared to the others but I hope I can sell y'all on it.

ok WHEW. I'm so glad!

I have November records already but I still wanna stick to the timeline. October is going to be Earth 2 by Earth, which is one of my favorite albums ever, and I will say more about that later! It's a little out there compared to the others but I hope I can sell y'all on it.
I can't wait for an out there album that KOE sells us on! That sounds like a delight.

Everyone's September records are confirmed to have arrived! I hope y'all enjoy, it's a fav.

Moving on, a bit about the October album and what to expect:

xMsrNHz.jpg

I love Metal, but not everyone does. A lot of people don't! That being said, since it is such a big part of my listening life, I wanted to get something heavy into the club. Earth 2 by Earth is, undoubtedly, one of the heaviest records of all time. That being said, a lot of the things that turn people AWAY from metal: gore fixation, abrasiveness, lyrical content, extreme vocals - are not present here!

What you do have is a canyonsworth of riffs, repeated across 4 sides of wax, like early Sabbath played even slower. No words, no drums, just a big old slab of guitar THRMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. It's meditative! I used to put it on and lie down. People ABSOLUTELY get stoned to it if that's at all your thing. It's like abstract art, but more, um, Metal. It's beautiful and loud and I love it like the big warm electric guitar blanket that it is. I hope you'll give it a shot!

Back