The Good Ol' Grateful Thread

I blame the recent pickup from the PIF thread (forgot who offered it up toošŸ˜¢ )

I grabbed the greatest hits off of there and Iā€™ve always had a soft spot since college for the dead, but never had anything on vinyl.

Well, because of the PIF, Iā€™m going down the worm hole nowšŸ˜³

All this week...(left like was last weekend, still in shrink older pressings, on the right are all recent RTI I grabbed today)
View attachment 29823
Haha..that was me! Seeing this makes me really happy that I could help nudge you back into the path of this band. Just wait till you start checking out stuff like the Jerry Garcia Band and the stuff he did with Merl Saunders.. those are some of my favorite recordings. I hope this is the beginning of a long strange trip!

Haha..that was me! Seeing this makes me really happy that I could help nudge you back into the path of this band. Just wait till you start checking out stuff like the Jerry Garcia Band and the stuff he did with Merl Saunders.. those are some of my favorite recordings. I hope this is the beginning of a long strange trip!
Just cogged purchased 3 more albums...dammit!!! šŸ˜‚

Just cogged purchased 3 more albums...dammit!!! šŸ˜‚

You may have just inspired me to fill some studio album holes in my own collection.

Workingman's Dead, From The Mars Hotel, Terrapin Station, and Shakedown Street all ordered.. šŸ”„ šŸ”„ šŸ”„

Helped that I had a prepaid Visa from a work gift that was burning a hole in my pocket. šŸ˜‚

I just grabbed 3 more... Mars...steal your face, and live from Europe

You may have just inspired me to fill some studio album holes in my own collection.

Workingman's Dead, From The Mars Hotel, Terrapin Station, and Shakedown Street all ordered.. šŸ”„ šŸ”„ šŸ”„

Helped that I had a prepaid Visa from a work gift that was burning a hole in my pocket. šŸ˜‚

I just grabbed 3 more... Mars...steal your face, and live from Europe

My brother and I were bin flipping in Columbus last time I was there and he found a cheap but good condition Europe '72 because he was a bin ahead of me. IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN MINE! Haven't found a worthwhile copy to jump on since. One of these days. Actually, I'm hoping they eventually release each show of Europe '72 individually. My wallet does not.

I'm not a big fan of Steal You Face. It's one I've avoided. I believe that was just to fulfill a record label contract.

Can someone explain to me what the "Rocktober" tag is? Are they just regular RTI-pressed Rhino reissues?

Yeah, I think they're just normal reissues in an Rhino series.

Gotcha, thanks. I've seen them in shops a few times but since they didn't have that trademark silver "RTI 180" sticker on it I wasn't sure. I'd be thrilled to get more that sound as good as my American Beauty and Workingman's Dead for cheap.

I have the Blues For Allah Rocktober press from '18 and it sounds good. Don't see where it was pressed anywhere on it.

My brother and I were bin flipping in Columbus last time I was there and he found a cheap but good condition Europe '72 because he was a bin ahead of me. IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN MINE! Haven't found a worthwhile copy to jump on since. One of these days. Actually, I'm hoping they eventually release each show of Europe '72 individually. My wallet does not.

I'm not a big fan of Steal You Face. It's one I've avoided. I believe that was just to fulfill a record label contract.

I jumped on the RTI Europe šŸ˜³šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

I've heard a lot of requests for the individual Europe 72 shows to be released on vinyl, but other than a couple of them, they're not good candidates because they feature massive Dark Stars and The Other Ones that you can't reasonably fit on one side of an LP.

All of them are well worth hearing and the best shows (4/8, 4/16, 4/26, 5/3, 5/18, 5/26 imho) are among their best ever.

I've heard a lot of requests for the individual Europe 72 shows to be released on vinyl, but other than a couple of them, they're not good candidates because they feature massive Dark Stars and The Other Ones that you can't reasonably fit on one side of an LP.

All of them are well worth hearing and the best shows (4/8, 4/16, 4/26, 5/3, 5/18, 5/26 imho) are among their best ever.

Yeah makes sense, although if they have to do it like they did with Grateful Dead* - Playing In The Band - Seattle, Washington 5/21/74 I wouldn't be opposed to it.

I have the Blues For Allah Rocktober press from '18 and it sounds good. Don't see where it was pressed anywhere on it.

As someone with originals of both From The Mars Hotel and Wake of the Flood, I can say that those Rocktober releases sound just as good as my originals. However, more silent without the random light crackle.

My Blues For Allah original is pristine so I never grabbed the Rocktober release of it but I assume itā€™s the same quality.

Also, Iā€™ve an original 1969 Aoxomoxoa, which is amazing to hold and some old Deadhead sold it to me for $15!!! However I picked up the recent RTI repress of that album when I was $13-14 on Amazon and it sounds just as good as my original.

So,for the TL;DRā€”these RTI represses sound just as beautiful as the originals.

Man, 4/26/72 is one of my favorites. Iā€™d pay some stupid amount of money for that one. I swear thatā€™s the show Hundred Year Hall pulled their selections from.

Man, 4/26/72 is one of my favorites. Iā€™d pay some stupid amount of money for that one. I swear thatā€™s the show Hundred Year Hall pulled their selections from.
It is. Though replicating the 2nd set jam (18 minute Truckin into a 36 and half minute The Other One into 7 minute versions of Comes A Time and Sugar Magnolia) on vinyl would be a logistical issue - I'd assume you'd split TOO somewhere in the jam onto two pieces of vinyl?

It is. Though replicating the 2nd set jam (18 minute Truckin into a 36 and half minute The Other One into 7 minute versions of Comes A Time and Sugar Magnolia) on vinyl would be a logistical issue - I'd assume you'd split TOO somewhere in the jam onto two pieces of vinyl?
Yep, theyā€™d probably do it like they did that ā€˜74 ā€œPlaying In The Bandā€ they released as a stand alone record back on BF RSD 2018.

As someone with originals of both From The Mars Hotel and Wake of the Flood, I can say that those Rocktober releases sound just as good as my originals. However, more silent without the random light crackle.

My Blues For Allah original is pristine so I never grabbed the Rocktober release of it but I assume itā€™s the same quality.

Also, Iā€™ve an original 1969 Aoxomoxoa, which is amazing to hold and some old Deadhead sold it to me for $15!!! However I picked up the recent RTI repress of that album when I was $13-14 on Amazon and it sounds just as good as my original.

So,for the TL;DRā€”these RTI represses sound just as beautiful as the originals.
The pre-remix Aoxomoxoa and Anthem are the way to go, Aoxomoxoa especially.

The pre-remix Aoxomoxoa and Anthem are the way to go, Aoxomoxoa especially.
My 1969 original Aoxomoxoa is pre-remix.
Not sure about the current RTI pressed reissue though...

Does anyone have the RTI pressed RSD Europe vol 2? How does it sound? Worth it?
Iā€™d assume it sounds good, however I donā€™t actually own it.
If you end up grabbing it, give us a review in here as Iā€™ve been meaning to pick it up for quite a bit.
First, I need to upgrade my VG copy of Europe ā€˜72.

My 1969 original Aoxomoxoa is pre-remix.
Not sure about the current RTI pressed reissue though...

Iā€™d assume it sounds good, however I donā€™t actually own it.
If you end up grabbing it, give us a review in here as Iā€™ve been meaning to pick it up for quite a bit.
First, I need to upgrade my VG copy of Europe ā€˜72.
The RTI pressed Europe sounds great btw

Back