The Good Ol' Grateful Thread

been listening to Dead and Co from Lockn last year with Branford Marsalis today at work and am convinced that Bob and Branford need to pair up on a quiet storm album before it's too late. (Branford comes in at Shakedown)

Grateful Dead - Ready Or Not

"
A stirring conclusion to the Grateful Dead's three-decade career, music filled with adventure and possibility, big questions, big punchlines, and cosmic wisdom...

Maybe you were lucky enough and caught a glimpse of what might have been. You swayed to the unfamiliar, floating along with an unknown melody, joining in for a chorus when you felt confident you had it down. Maybe you jotted a fat question mark in your meticulous setlist, certain you'd figure it out before the next show, anticipating a formal introduction in due time.

As if their repertoire wasn't tall enough to reach the endless sky, the band began adding new tunes to their sets in 1992, working them into "quintessential Grateful Dead romps," with the intention of a new studio album. By the mid-90s, they set out recording with the wisdom of Willie Dixon's blues, Neil Young's fuzzed-out guitar, newcomer Vince Welnick's tried-and-true sketches, and Bobby reunited with Robert Hunter on a duo that had quickly become fan-favorites. Alas, it was not meant to be. Until now.

We proudly present READY OR NOT, nine unreleased live versions of late-period Grateful Dead songs that debuted in 1992 and 1993, a reflection of what could have been the band's next official studio album.

Due November 22nd, READY OR NOT will be available on CD, as a 180-gram 2-LP set, limited to 10,000 copies, and of course, digitally as a download and for streaming.

Looking for that Dead.net exclusive? We've got you covered with an exclusive colored vinyl version of the 2-LP set with one red LP and one blue LP, limited to just 2,000 copies. And we'll hit you with that hi-res digital audio too."

Grateful Dead - Ready Or Not

"
A stirring conclusion to the Grateful Dead's three-decade career, music filled with adventure and possibility, big questions, big punchlines, and cosmic wisdom...

Maybe you were lucky enough and caught a glimpse of what might have been. You swayed to the unfamiliar, floating along with an unknown melody, joining in for a chorus when you felt confident you had it down. Maybe you jotted a fat question mark in your meticulous setlist, certain you'd figure it out before the next show, anticipating a formal introduction in due time.

As if their repertoire wasn't tall enough to reach the endless sky, the band began adding new tunes to their sets in 1992, working them into "quintessential Grateful Dead romps," with the intention of a new studio album. By the mid-90s, they set out recording with the wisdom of Willie Dixon's blues, Neil Young's fuzzed-out guitar, newcomer Vince Welnick's tried-and-true sketches, and Bobby reunited with Robert Hunter on a duo that had quickly become fan-favorites. Alas, it was not meant to be. Until now.

We proudly present READY OR NOT, nine unreleased live versions of late-period Grateful Dead songs that debuted in 1992 and 1993, a reflection of what could have been the band's next official studio album.

Due November 22nd, READY OR NOT will be available on CD, as a 180-gram 2-LP set, limited to 10,000 copies, and of course, digitally as a download and for streaming.

Looking for that Dead.net exclusive? We've got you covered with an exclusive colored vinyl version of the 2-LP set with one red LP and one blue LP, limited to just 2,000 copies. And we'll hit you with that hi-res digital audio too."

I normally don't mind ordering from Dead.Net, but that vinyl is $50 with tax and shipping...any leads on a vinyl preorder yet?

I enjoyed this weeks upload too much not to share.

"This is the only song from Bob's 1978 solo record Heaven Help The Fool that made it into the Dead's setlist, aside from the one-time performance of Salt Lake City in 1995. This was the only ever played acoustically, and without vocals, by the Grateful Dead, but they sure did have fun with it." - David Lemieux

Not to spam the thread, but this article is a good read.. for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

That was an excellent read, gave a little insight into his relationship w/ Jerry. Out of the whole thing though, this line is my favorite: "He looks like a Civil War general who’s really into CrossFit"

That was an excellent read, gave a little insight into his relationship w/ Jerry. Out of the whole thing though, this line is my favorite: "He looks like a Civil War general who’s really into CrossFit"
Haha.. yea, it's a different side of him you normally don't see. I lost it at the part where he was talking about his cues to the rest of the band on stage, and how he had to do it because "Jerry was fucking busy!"

Bobby and the Wolf Bros are back at it this Spring. I'll be at Columbus!

February 28 – Miami, FL @ Fillmore Miami at Jackie Gleason Theater
February 29 – Orlando, FL @ Bob Carr Theater
March 1 – St. Petersburg, FL @ Jannus Live
March 3 – Durham, NC @ Durham Performing Arts Center
March 4 – Asheville, NC @ Thomas Wolfe Auditorium
March 6 – Knoxville, TN @ Tennessee Theatre
March 7 – Nashville, TN @ Ryman Auditorium
March 8 – Louisville, KY @ Palace Theatre
March 10 – Minneapolis, MN @ The Fillmore
March 11 – Chicago, IL @ Chicago Theatre
March 12 – Chicago, IL @ Chicago Theatre
March 14 – Kansas City, MO @ Arvest Bank Theatre at The Midland
March 15 – Omaha, NE @ Orpheum Theater
March 17 – Des Moines, IA @ Hoyt Sherman Place Theater
March 18 – St. Louis, MO @ Stifel Theatre
March 20 – Pittsburgh, PA @ Roxian Theatre
March 21 – Columbus, OH @ Palace Theatre
March 23 – Albany, NY @ Palace Theatre
March 24 – Syracuse, NY @ Landmark Theatre
March 25 – Burlington, VT @ Flynn Theatre
March 27 – Portland, ME @ State Theatre
March 28 – Portland, ME @ State Theatre

Where's the west coast love!? I saw them in Fall 2018 and it was a great, stripped down show

All the 2019 30 Days of Dead tracks are posted up on Dead.net. Individual or one big ZIP file.

Thanks! I always forget about the 30 Days of the Dead. For my appreciation, here's a wonderful 'Death Don't Have No Mercy'

I'll be at the Louisville show!

Anybody listen to Ready or Not yet? Curious what you thoughts are
it didn't change my thoughts on those songs at all but what I can say is that they chose really good versions of Lazy River Road and Days Between. The Vince songs are still...something... and the Weir material is pretty meh.

for the truest expression of joy in later years Dead, listen to Jerry's harmonies on the Brent songs in 89/90 (Blow Away, We Can Run). truly joyful...

Back