The Good Ol' Grateful Thread

Is dead.net always this slow in shipping? Does their CS always respond so generically and poorly to inquiries?
My Skull and Roses was “shipped” on 6/23. USPS stills says they haven’t received it. On 7/6 they were like shipping sucks right now. Today they were like have you tried checking UPS? in response to an email that said USPS says they don’t have it and UPS says it doesn’t exist. They then suggested I wait ten more days. Both emails were obviously canned responses. Reminds me of VMP.
They use UPS Mail Innovations, which is literally the worst aspects of UPS and USPS combined and its only innovation is that it sucks.

They're the only source of some things, which is why I've ordered from them enough to know what to expect, but it routinely tales 2-3 weeks for items to go from the shipped email to actually being shipped then delivered to you.

I will say that you will eventually get what you want and the CS is fine if you have an issue. But I think they know their shipping sucks.
I mean they’ve not been fine and I have an issue. If they know their shipping sucks, maybe 1. Change it or 2. At the very least be transparent about it.

Just picked up a complete set of Dicks Picks 1-36 (with two 29s!) for a decent price, and boy am I excited to dig through these...

Didn't have any DPs so figured it would be worth it. Came out to a little under $30 per DP, which seemed pretty good to me based on the prices of some.

Thoughts on going through them by chronological order or by year?

Just picked up a complete set of Dicks Picks 1-36 (with two 29s!) for a decent price, and boy am I excited to dig through these...

Didn't have any DPs so figured it would be worth it. Came out to a little under $30 per DP, which seemed pretty good to me based on the prices of some.

Wow! That’s a lotta Dead! That should keep you busy for a while. I have not heard all of them but I can say of the ones I’ve heard, DP, Vol. 8 is my favorite. It’s half acoustic, half electric and fully awesome.

Some others I am fond of are DP 3, DP 5, DP 15.

Last edited:
Wow! That’s a lotta Dead! That should keep you busy for a while. I have not heard all of them but I can say of the ones I’ve heard, DP, Vol. 8 is my favorite. It’s half acoustic, half electric and fully awesome.

Some others I am fond of are DP 3, DP 5, DP 15.

Yeah DP 8 is a god tier show. I also love 15 and 17

I meant if there's damage or need for a replacement. They're not helpful on shipping.
Yeah, I won’t be purchasing from them again. When I asked them why i had to wait ten days, what would be different then from now and what action they would take, reiterating that their responses (telling me that I should try UPS tracking - when I told them I had and telling me they couldn’t send a replacement when I didn’t ask for one) did not acknowledge that they had read my emails… they stopped responding.

Yeah, I won’t be purchasing from them again. When I asked them why i had to wait ten days, what would be different then from now and what action they would take, reiterating that their responses (telling me that I should try UPS tracking - when I told them I had and telling me they couldn’t send a replacement when I didn’t ask for one) did not acknowledge that they had read my emails… they stopped responding.
On a somewhat related note, I ordered a shirt along with a CD set and they sent the wrong size (ordered L, sent M). They told me they can’t process exchanges but I can pay to ship it back (even though it’s their fault??) and then buy a new one when they credit me. The size I need is already sold out so it’s not even worth paying to ship it back and lose money, will probably just try selling it for what I paid than deal with their CS. Very frustrating.

I mean they’ve not been fine and I have an issue. If they know their shipping sucks, maybe 1. Change it or 2. At the very least be transparent about it.
I had a similar experience ordering Europe 72 from them a few months ago. UPS just said “label created” for like a month but that they hadn’t received the shipment. I told the Dead.net customer service people that, and they seemed confused by that and just kept asking if I wanted a refund or for them to send a replacement. I asked for a replacement. Ultimately they sent the replacement with 2-day shipping and refunded me for the record, so I got it for free (so it was worth the hassle in the end for me, at least).

EDIT: it was weird because after I asked for the replacement, they immediately processed a refund, which I got a paypal notification for - so I was kind of pissed and thought they were just deliberately messing with me at that point. And then two days later the record was delivered, even though I never had a shipping notification. It was very odd overall. I emailed them to ask if they’d meant to refund AND replace and they just told me not to worry about it haha.

Last edited:

I have all 36 too. 30 bucks is a good price to pay per pick given the difficulty acquiring some of the latter ones would be.

I'm going through them again in sequential order and am on #27. I'm going along with the 36 From The Vault podcast which I really enjoy and is Steven Hyden and Rob Mitchum going through each entry and contexualizing them.

I'd go sequential.

My favorites in no particular order are: 3, 4, 8, 10, 12, 14, 15, 18, 19, 23, 28, 31, 33, 34, and 36. But do yourself a favor and listen to the Here Comes Sunshine of DP 1 first, that's the tune Dick wanted to start off the series with!

I have all 36 too. 30 bucks is a good price to pay per pick given the difficulty acquiring some of the latter ones would be.

I'm going through them again in sequential order and am on #27. I'm going along with the 36 From The Vault podcast which I really enjoy and is Steven Hyden and Rob Mitchum going through each entry and contexualizing them.

I'd go sequential.

My favorites in no particular order are: 3, 4, 8, 10, 12, 14, 15, 18, 19, 23, 28, 31, 33, 34, and 36. But do yourself a favor and listen to the Here Comes Sunshine of DP 1 first, that's the tune Dick wanted to start off the series with!
Yeah the deal made too much sense so I figured I’d jump on it. The guy lived one town over, took great care of them (some of the latter ones are still sealed), and I planned on acquiring all of them eventually as a Dead CD collector. While I have Dave’s Picks from 24 onward, it looks like those early ones will be a hefty price (fingers crossed for reissues 🤞🏼)

As far as listening, that’s EXACTLY what I was thinking of doing. I remember listening to the first episode when it came out and felt guilty that I didn’t just finish listening to it before throwing the pod on, so I never kept up with it. But, now that looks like it’s my plan.

Side note regarding 36FTV, Osiris puts out some really great podcasts.

Before diving into DP 1-36 in chronological order, I wanted to compare the CD with one of the vinyl box sets I have - Dicks Picks 24.

The CD here is a clear winner. Everything from the dynamics to clarity of the mix were simply better on the CD. The vinyl isn't bad, but the mix was much lower when I switched from the LP audio to CD audio at the same volume.

On the bright side, selling the DP 24 vinyl will account for a quarter of what I paid for all 36 CDs. I have DP 36 on vinyl too, but think I will keep that one as the show is just better overall and the CD is still sealed.

Back