The Good Ol' Grateful Thread

Anyone have the Get Shown the Light box set? Been thinking about that one, but haven’t seen many reviews.
I do.

The material is top of the line. Shows sound absolutely great. I have the original version that has the book about Cornell in it. Packaging is a little too precious, but it's a nice looking set.

Is Cornell 5.8.77 just the best concert ever? It's so expensive on discogs
Honestly, I like it more than Europe 72, but they really are different bands between those years. Buffalo 5/9/77 is pretty killer too.

I sold my sealed copy (I picked up the CD set on a whim and then never got around to opening the vinyl box) for $500....and had it returned because it had a duplicate disc 7/8 and no disc 5/6. It took Rhino like 4 months to send me a replacement 5/6 ("due to the pandemic no one's in the office" which was totally reasonable) but they did get around to it. I don't know why they don't repress all the sets, there's obviously demand.

It’s a really great concert, but I wouldn’t say the best. I always felt like it was just the quality of the tape - the Betty Boards really make you feel like you’re standing in the room with them. Buffalo 5/9/77 is the same.

But when Phil’s bass gets bumping on that Dancin’ in the Streets, it really puts you in the moment.

It's not. It's one of the most famous, but it's not even the best show of May 1977.

It was one of the best sounding tapes that circulated in the 80s/90s so it built up a reputation and became many people's favorite tapes.

It's a great show that is worth retail. It absolutely is not worth the inflated price the vinyl set goes for. The CD is cheap and I believe it is on all streaming platforms.

I don't own a cd player lol and was more curious than anything because I'm a new fan
Good point. Although I reckon you could actually get the cd AND a CD player for what some people charge for Cornell.

Buffalo is great if you’re after a not nuclear priced 77… even if they did split Help/slip/Franklin’s across two sides

Back