The Good Ol' Grateful Thread

Not sure how prevalent 76 is in the DPs but I’m surprised this 8/4/76 show I found on YouTube hasn’t been officially released. It is 🔥. They haven’t done 60s in a while I think either.

"I was blown out of the atmosphere when Billy Kreutzmann said he wanted me to take a crack at writing the music to these lyrics by the late great Robert Hunter. I cried like a baby for like an hour after I hung up the phone. I can’t recall a time being so overcome with joyful emotion. This happened on a day when I was really doubting myself as well. Thank you Billy K for trusting me with this.. it is seriously such an honor. Hope we play it again at Red Rocks next month!! ❤️ Thunder, Thunder, thunder for fifteen thousand years.. We plow our fields with lightning and we water them with tears. 🌩 "

Anyone have Dick's Picks 24? Worth the secondary market asking price? Have seen some mixed things on this one, but it is my favorite era of the Dead and was wondering how it sounded. Thanks!

Anyone have Dick's Picks 24? Worth the secondary market asking price? Have seen some mixed things on this one, but it is my favorite era of the Dead and was wondering how it sounded. Thanks!
I don't have the vinyl, but have had the CD for years. It's one of my least favorite shows of the era that have been officially released. It's a tentative and a little soundchecky feeling. The highlights are the debut of Scarlet Begonias, China>Rider, the WRS, and the palindrome (Playing>UJB>Dew>UJB>Playing). While all are worthy of a listen or two, none are the definitive versions for this era. As much as it isn't a great vinyl show, if you want 74 on wax I'd pick up the Portland show. The jam segment on the Portland set is special. Should br considerably cheaper as well.

I don't have the vinyl, but have had the CD for years. It's one of my least favorite shows of the era that have been officially released. It's a tentative and a little soundchecky feeling. The highlights are the debut of Scarlet Begonias, China>Rider, the WRS, and the palindrome (Playing>UJB>Dew>UJB>Playing). While all are worthy of a listen or two, none are the definitive versions for this era. As much as it isn't a great vinyl show, if you want 74 on wax I'd pick up the Portland show. The jam segment on the Portland set is special. Should br considerably cheaper as well.
just a head's up that i just posted some dead, including portland 74, in the sale thread, in case @Colonel4Bin is interested. I concur that portland is better overall of 74 but there's lots of good stuff in 74 e.g. atlanta:

although I tend to prefer the 72 and 77 jams. may and june 77 are hard to beat imho

I
Thanks!

I’ve got the Pacific Northwest box. Absolutely love that thing. Weirdly I enjoy the digital release of DP 24, while I’ll agree nothing is a standout compared to other shows in the era.

50th Anniversary of Skull & Roses arrived today. Sounds and looks way better than my well worn used version. Appreciate that they even included the sticker that came with it.

View attachment 104172
The sticker is a nice touch. I’ve bought a few beat up copies of the original hoping to land one, but never with any success.

Back