The football thread RenegadeMonster is looking for: NFL talk

If Tomlin was coaching any other team, he would have been fired years ago. Clearly management hasn’t helped him by hanging on to Ben, but they haven’t really been looking towards the future. The Steelers take pride in having very few coaches even when they are average.

If Tomlin was coaching any other team, he would have been fired years ago. Clearly management hasn’t helped him by hanging on to Ben, but they haven’t really been looking towards the future. The Steelers take pride in having very few coaches even when they are average.
This just isn't true

Active coaches with a better winning percentage than Mike Tomlin (.643 winning%, 15 yrs experience)

Bill Belichick (.673 winning%, 27 yrs experience)
Sean McVay (.667 winning%, 5 yrs experience)

Active coaches with more years experience than Mike Tomlin (.643 winning%, 15 yrs experience)

Andy Reid (.629 winning%, 23 yrs experience)
Pete Carroll (.594 winning%, 16 yrs experience)

Last edited:
This just isn't true

Active coaches with a better winning percentage than Mike Tomlin (.643 winning%, 15 yrs experience)

Sean McVay (.667 winning%, 5 yrs experience)

Active coaches with more years experience than Mike Tomlin (.643 winning%, 15 yrs experience)

Andy Reid (.629 winning%, 23 yrs experience)
Pete Carroll (.594 winning%, 16 yrs experience)

I know all of the regular season stuff.
He might be able to do his “the standard is the standard” thing with another team, but his time in Pittsburgh needs to be over.
When the big games are on the line, he gets out coached. Want to play down to an inferior opponent? Tomlin is your man.
How many more coordinators are the Steelers going to fire before the head coach gets some heat?
3 playoff wins in 10 years. Is that a good percentage?

Last edited:
I know all of the regular season stuff.
He might be able to do his “the standard is the standard” thing with another team, but his time in Pittsburgh needs to be over.
When the big games are on the line, he gets out coached. Want to play down to an inferior opponent? Tomlin is your man.
How many more coordinators are the Steelers going to fire before the head coach gets some heat?
3 playoff wins in 10 years. Is that a good percentage?
The goal is to get to the playoffs beyond that it’s mostly luck. Look at pretty much every other coach outside of Belichick (Maybe Walsh) and the Best coaches in NFL history have comparable records to Tomlin. The NFL is a league built on parity the fact that he regularly get his teams regardless of the talent to the playoffs is stability that most teams would be envious of.

The biggest question is who is the coach that the Steelers should bring in to replace Tomlin? They have been very lucky in the past with their coaching selection but if they make a bad hire and the Steelers start down a road of mediocrity it’s very hard to ascend back up to that elite level again.

We'll take Tomlin over here in the D.
Dan Campbell seems like a good guy, but he's now costing the team wins. This learning on the fly approach isn't working.

The goal is to get to the playoffs beyond that it’s mostly luck. Look at pretty much every other coach outside of Belichick (Maybe Walsh) and the Best coaches in NFL history have comparable records to Tomlin. The NFL is a league built on parity the fact that he regularly get his teams regardless of the talent to the playoffs is stability that most teams would be envious of.

The biggest question is who is the coach that the Steelers should bring in to replace Tomlin? They have been very lucky in the past with their coaching selection but if they make a bad hire and the Steelers start down a road of mediocrity it’s very hard to ascend back up to that elite level again.

I’m sure the same question was asked when Cowher stepped away. There were a lot of people who had never heard the name Mike Tomlin before. I sure didn’t.
And it’s not like Mike hasn’t had quality talent at his fingertips his ENTIRE tenure in Pittsburgh. For me, the bigger question is who are they going to get to replace Ben?

I’m sure the same question was asked when Cowher stepped away. There were a lot of people who had never heard the name Mike Tomlin before. I sure didn’t.
And it’s not like Mike hasn’t had quality talent at his fingertips his ENTIRE tenure in Pittsburgh. For me, the bigger question is who are they going to get to replace Ben?
But it’s a roll of the dice every time you replace a head coach. Just because you hit with Tomlin doesn’t mean you will be as lucky next time. As a Bears fan, the closest example the Bears have would be Lovie Smith (who wasn’t still nearly as good as Tomlin) he had the Bears flirting with or making the playoffs every season. By the end everyone thought it was time for a new coach to put them over the top. So we replaced him with… Marc Trestman then John Fox, now Matt Nagy and who knows who will be next. I doubt we are gonna convince ya that Tomlin is not the issue and if/when Tomlin goes maybe The Steelers hit another home run but maybe they don’t. That is a a big “maybe” that I would wanna put off for as long as I could a fan.

Back