The February 2024 Record Challenge Thread - Silver Screen Edition Part Deux

Day 1: The Princess Bride

I'm actually not familiar with this movie at all, outside of the clip where Wallace Shawn's character drops dead. Instead of playing an album having to do with royalty or castles (of which I have very few), I decided to do some six degrees of separation.

I mostly know Wallace Shawn as Rex from Toy Story, but he also voiced the Principal in A Goofy Movie, a film which also featured an MJ/Prince parody called Powerline, voiced by...

Tevin Campbell - T.E.V.I.N.

View attachment 194266

Man, you have to see The Princess Bride, it’s great.

Friday February 2nd
Groundhog Day

A three-fer.

One of my most played records of all-time is The Jesus And Mary Chain - Psychocandy.

Sophia Coppola used Just Like Honey in the end scene of the Bill Murray masterpiece Lost In Translation.

We all know live music is better so let's go that way as well. Here's an audience shot video of JAMC doing this song with Charlotte Johansson...

The Jesus And Mary Chain - Barrowlands Live

IMG_4213.jpeg

Last edited:
Friday February 2nd
Groundhog Day
Phil: "Well it's groundhog day....again."

Play anything this movie brings to mind.

Primus – Frizzle Fry
Frizzle Fry, INC. – PSR-0016-1, 1990/2015

Ten Bands One Cause pink variant

Cut at Nashville Record Productions
Pressed at United

EkkhbSb.jpg

OSbupAz.jpg

Now Playing
Thursday February 1st
The Princess Bride
Miracle Max: "Have fun storming the castle!"

1706890708849.png

A Quick Start because i am a day late eith a 7" from herman and sport that has a cover pf castles made of sand on the b-side

Friday February 2nd
Groundhog Day

We have all been here before, we have all been here before....

Playing the alternate version seemed especially appropriate given every day in this move is an alternate version.

Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young ~ Deja Vu Alternates

View attachment 194349
How is this? I have yet to find a copy in the wild. I love the original.

Friday February 2nd
Groundhog Day

Sloan - The Double Cross

This is my second most played record per last.fm. The first is Cotton Mather - Kontiki, which I haven't sucked it up and paid for it on the 'cogs.

IMG_1110.jpeg

And if I would have owned this record I would've played it for the video alone!

Day 02: Groundhogs Day
Acetone - If You Only Knew
IMG_1621.jpeg

I almost picked a soundtrack from one of his movies. I am not a big soundtrack guy but I own a lot of soundtracks from Bill’s films for some reason, he is even on the cover of 3 or 4 of em. Instead I decided to play something that has been living on my turntable over the past few months. I really love these Acetone reissues.

Friday February 2nd
Groundhog Day

Play one of your most spun records, whether currently or all-time

Since I started collecting again in earnest back in the teens, this is probably my most spun. I have my old Zeppelin records and other stuff that might be on the all-time list but I'm always happy to put this one on the table.

IMG_7008.JPG

Damn I love this. Any of you haven't checked this out, if you like funk and raw guitars, this could be right up your alley. Like a mix of songs reminiscent of the Better Call Saul theme, raw Baby Huey type songs and some El Michels Affair soulful instrumentals.
Oh no....

04A26B6F-5728-497D-8174-21CDA3EA372C.gif

Thursday February 1st
The Princess Bride
Miracle Max: "Have fun storming the castle!"

Jimi double dipped on Castles on this with Spanish Castle Magic and Castles Made of Sand.

View attachment 194293

Welp, scooped, serves me right for being late...

Back