The February 2024 Record Challenge Thread - Silver Screen Edition Part Deux

Grace of My Heart Official Trailer #1 - John Turturro Movie (1996) HD

Play something that was off your radar until it wasn't / Free Play!

I guess this band could be considered off my radar until last night when I saw them open for Sleater-Kinney and picked this up based on their performance. The opening track off this has an excellent build-up and was a highlight of their set.

Black Belt Eagle Scout ~ the land, the water, the sky

IMG_6197.jpeg

Thursday February 29th
Grace of My Heart

Superviolet - Infinite Spring

This one I think I saw the rec on the Indiecast podcast, which then got me digging into Lame-O records which has a bunch of fun indie bands with many leaning power poppy. They have a subscription service and I joined for the next three records to try it out. Mo Troper is the next release and really looking forward to it.

IMG_1259.jpeg

Thursday February 29th
Grace of My Heart

Superviolet - Infinite Spring

This one I think I saw the rec on the Indiecast podcast, which then got me digging into Lame-O records which has a bunch of fun indie bands with many leaning power poppy. They have a subscription service and I joined for the next three records to try it out. Mo Troper is the next release and really looking forward to it.

View attachment 196551

This song has been driving me crazy, because it sounds like someone but I hadn't been able to nail it. I think it sounds like Matt Pond PA, but I could be off my rocker.

Thursday February 29th
Grace of My Heart

I decided to go with the song from the movie that partly made me fall for the movie as a whole, in addition to the song itself.

The version in the movie is sung by Kristen Vigard, but the album has Elvis' version. Honestly, I prefer the former. And I even love the Illeana Douglas lip-sync of it.

IMG_7184.JPG

Day 28: Monty Python: The Life of Brian

The Harlem Gospel Travelers
feat. Aaron Frazer - “Help Me to Understand” b/w “Look Up

IMG_8283.jpeg

Gospel and religious music in general have always seemed overtly positive to me. The a-side here is more contemplative but the b-side is nothing but positivity & uplift.

Day 29: Grace of My Heart

Broken Hearts Inc.
- “In a Moment

IMG_8284.jpeg

Kimberlite Records is an Edmonton-based soul label who’s issued 8 limited 45s of great music over the last 6 years. I didn’t know about them until the pandemic and didn’t get to collecting their 45s until last year. Their first 4 singles (and their latest that I’m playing) all go for big bucks now so I haven’t been able to get my hands on them.

Day 29
IMG_6545.jpeg
Big Star - #1 Record/Radio City

This may be hard for you all to believe, but I was an adult with a kid before I even heard of Big Star! Back in the comic book store days, it will surprise none of you to know that I always had music going. This would strike up many conversations. I believe I was listening to Wilco when a musician customer starting talking about Alex Chilton and Big Star. When I said I had no idea who he was talking about, he was a bit gobsmacked. The next time he came into the shop, he gave me this which is best to hell but sounds pretty good this evening but I need to retire it and replace it with some vinyl.

In addition to this, and for this I have no excuse other than it’s probably been a decade since I even looked at it and I still I recreated, if you will, back when I got this… um had to have been at least fifteen years ago. I just now realized that this has the first two albums on it. 🤷‍♀️

Back