The Blue Note Thread

That's a seriously legit score right there. Could be a second press using first press labels still, right at the time the plant was switching over to new pressing machines that didn't use the deep groove. Could be a late first press. Honestly that's a score of a lifetime either way and I am so damn jealous right now! I picked up a black on blue UA copy and it sounds decent, not like what you have. really awesome record man. congrats.

edit to add this from LJC:

so I say, go by the label and call that a true OG copy.
This confirms what I have been thinking! Thanks!

Edit: is anyone interested in my 75th Anniversary pressing of Moanin'? I'm definitely going to PIF it.

Last edited:
I’ll be honest, it definitely plays better than it looks. They definitely don’t make vinyl like they used to. There’s a few loud spots but it’s, for the most part, a very listenable copy. I’m a few minutes away from the end of Side A.
I've done a lot of research into OG Blue Note pressings today and the consensus is that they do generally play much better than they look. I think once I let myself back into buying more records I'm gonna be more adventurous when buying lesser-graded early Blue Notes.

I've done a lot of research into OG Blue Note pressings today and the consensus is that they do generally play much better than they look. I think once I let myself back into buying more records I'm gonna be more adventurous when buying lesser-graded early Blue Notes.
I’ve noticed this too. Taken gambles on some early or first pressings that looked beat up in person but played quite nicely!

I thought this might interest some folks. Wayne Shorter playing with Herbie Hancock and Joe Chambers on three different albums, pressed by three different outlets: Vinyl Me Please Blue Note Anthology, Music Matters, and Blue Note Tone Poet. If you know the albums and their release histories inside and out, you'll know which is which. If you don't have encyclopedic knowledge of all three albums, you can check these out and see what sorts of differences you hear. The FLAC files are 24 bit 92kHz. The mp3s are the highest quality Audacity will export. I didn't adjust the levels on any of the files, so they all had the same amount of gain before landing in your ears.

FLAC Files:

This Shorter
That Shorter
The Other Shorter

MP3 Files:

This Shorter
That Shorter
The Other Shorter

I thought this might interest some folks. Wayne Shorter playing with Herbie Hancock and Joe Chambers on three different albums, pressed by three different outlets: Vinyl Me Please Blue Note Anthology, Music Matters, and Blue Note Tone Poet. If you know the albums and their release histories inside and out, you'll know which is which. If you don't have encyclopedic knowledge of all three albums, you can check these out and see what sorts of differences you hear. The FLAC files are 24 bit 92kHz. The mp3s are the highest quality Audacity will export. I didn't adjust the levels on any of the files, so they all had the same amount of gain before landing in your ears.

FLAC Files:

This Shorter
That Shorter
The Other Shorter

MP3 Files:

This Shorter
That Shorter
The Other Shorter

This Shorter: "Toy Tune," Etcetera, Tone Poet
That Shorter: "El Gaucho," Adam's Apple, Music Matters
The Other Shorter: "Playground," Schizophrenia, VMP Anthology

Not sure about musical qualities that you want to discuss, but your needledrop (?) of "Playground" off Schizophrenia is quite noisy for some reason.

This Shorter: "Toy Tune," Etcetera, Tone Poet
That Shorter: "El Gaucho," Adam's Apple, Music Matters
The Other Shorter: "Playground," Schizophrenia, VMP Anthology

Not sure about musical qualities that you want to discuss, but your needledrop (?) of "Playground" off Schizophrenia is quite noisy for some reason.

I wonder if there was an issue with your download? None of the files were especially noisy compared to the others when I just checked the links.

As far as points of discussion go, one of these is the new SRX vinyl which is supposed to lower the noise floor and bring the listener closer into the music. I was a little curious if the folks who didn't already know which was which would notice. Mostly the same musicians, recorded by RVG in the same space, mastered by Kevin Gray, and all pressed at RTI had potential (in my mind, at least) to spark some conversation about whether KG and RTI are doing anything different for MMJ vs. VMP.

FLAC Files:

This Shorter
That Shorter
The Other Shorter

MP3 Files:

This Shorter
That Shorter
The Other Shorter
Gonna have to check these out when I'm not on my phone with earbuds that only have the left channel working!

I just put in a preorder for Black Fire, one of the Tone Poet releases I'm most excited about. I'm debating on Kenny Burrell, though. I could use some more guitar jazz in my collection, but I'm not feeling this record as much as others. What do y'all think about this album?

I just put in a preorder for Black Fire, one of the Tone Poet releases I'm most excited about. I'm debating on Kenny Burrell, though. I could use some more guitar jazz in my collection, but I'm not feeling this record as much as others. What do y'all think about this album?
I preordered this one as well through that udiscovermusic father's day sale. Got that and Face To Face (which is now down to $26 on amazon btw). Kenny Burrell is also on my list...might snag that at some point if it drops in price a little. Just got one of my first Kenny Burrell records--John Jenkins with Kenny Burrell (music matters pressing) and I really dig it. With guitar jazz, can't go wrong with Joe Pass, Kenny Burrell or Grant Green. The Grant Green - Grant's First Stand 80th anniversary pressing is also a nice one if you're looking for guitar jazz.

With the Tone Poets, I might end up grabbing just about all of them at some point.

OUTSTANDING LP! Although I'm a Burrell fanatic. Great early KB with percussion accents from Candido. I have an earlier pressing, but ordered this one too.

The KB listing on Amazon UK made me laugh earlier. The second image of the back cover gave me flashbacks to the Anthology Dexter, lol.

I’m not exactly sure who posted that $25 ‘73 blue label Blue Train on eBay, but thank you so so kindly! (I want to say it was @Doctor_of_Jazz ; if it was, you rock, much obliged!)
Cx2MPGR.jpg

Besides these little imperfections to the record jacket, it’s an amazing copy. Could use a clean, some smudges on there which have cause a few minor pops, but there is very little surface noise. It’s a beautiful copy.
tGUgW6R.jpg

4hRBeAa.jpg

EDIT - Man, just finishing Side A...how do people think this album is overrated? This spin has brought on a new appreciation for this album. Holy shit, Lee Morgan!

Last edited:
I’m not exactly sure who posted that $25 ‘73 blue label Blue Train on eBay, but thank you so so kindly! (I want to say it was @Doctor_of_Jazz ; if it was, you rock, much obliged!)
Cx2MPGR.jpg

Besides these little imperfections to the record jacket, it’s an amazing copy. Could use a clean, some smudges on there which have cause a few minor pops, but there is very little surface noise. It’s a beautiful copy.
tGUgW6R.jpg

4hRBeAa.jpg

EDIT - Man, just finishing Side A...how do people think this album is overrated? This spin has brought on a new appreciation for this album. Holy shit, Lee Morgan!
Yep! Glad that worked out! :D

Man guys, I picked up a few of the 2x45 MM copies during the funkyou auctions and I'm basically realizing that I hate the 2x45 format.

I'm a working writer and I have this music on in the background when I'm working. It's super annoying when I have to get up and flip the record every 10 minutes, sometimes less, just ruins the flow. I'm already starting to realize that while I really really like these records, they're just going to fade away into my collection.

Man guys, I picked up a few of the 2x45 MM copies during the funkyou auctions and I'm basically realizing that I hate the 2x45 format.

I'm a working writer and I have this music on in the background when I'm working. It's super annoying when I have to get up and flip the record every 10 minutes, sometimes less, just ruins the flow. I'm already starting to realize that while I really really like these records, they're just going to fade away into my collection.

You're not wrong. Records in general are anything but convenient. For your writing activity, that does sound like a bad match. And I've experienced the same when playing the audiophile 45rpm or 10" records. Like, "It's over already?!!". I suppose it's the price you pay for the ultimate quality - if there is an actual perceptible difference. I've got MM 33s and they sound just as nice, but haven't done any serious listening tests. I'd say the audiophile LPs are for more engaged listening vs background music. Maybe some will cringe at this, but I record everything to digital and will frequently shuffle the LPs when I'm away from home. That works well. :)

You're not wrong. Records in general are anything but convenient. For your writing activity, that does sound like a bad match. And I've experienced the same when playing the audiophile 45rpm or 10" records. Like, "It's over already?!!". I suppose it's the price you pay for the ultimate quality - if there is an actual perceptible difference. I've got MM 33s and they sound just as nice, but haven't done any serious listening tests. I'd say the audiophile LPs are for more engaged listening vs background music. Maybe some will cringe at this, but I record everything to digital and will frequently shuffle the LPs when I'm away from home. That works well. :)

I think the 33 side is almost perfect for what I do-- ~20mins of writing, end of side, little break to flip, get back to it. The 45 messes with that flow big time.

They really do sound good though. I have one 33 MM also and I'd say it sounds just as good although it's really hard to compare different recordings. I think this is just a lesson learned for me. 2x45 just isn't up my alley. I'll probably hold onto these for a while and see if they get into rotation-- and sell them if not.

Back