The Blue Note Thread

Received my Cornbread and Mr. Shingaling from Amazon today! Now, am I going to play them tonight or go watch an all female Mariachi group play outside tonight? It’s free and the weather is beautiful..decisions to make..
The records will be there tomorrow. I'm guessing the female Mariachi group might not still be there tomorrow!

My copy of Cornbread arrives tomorrow it seems and I also have a gamble original copy from eBay on its way.

The records will be there tomorrow. I'm guessing the female Mariachi group might not still be there tomorrow!

My copy of Cornbread arrives tomorrow it seems and I also have a gamble original copy from eBay on its way.
You make a good point. However, that would mean going on a craft beer diet for 2 hours to drive down there...ohhhh, the agony of choice!

Try Concierto. That lineup is hard to beat.
Thanks for the Jim Hall Concierto tip. I'm a Grant Green fan, but hadn't heard much from Hall. Did a quick listen to Concierto and was hooked.

Better yet - I just scored the 2013 Grundman mastered reissue from the analogs via discogs for a sweet price!

Last edited:
Received my Cornbread and Mr. Shingaling from Amazon today! Now, am I going to play them tonight or go watch an all female Mariachi group play outside tonight? It’s free and the weather is beautiful..decisions to make..
tenor.gif

So, so tempted even though I think the BN80 is fine...🤔🧐
Oh yea forgot they just released it for BN80. I ended up looking at MM on discogs last night and made some offers that I thought wouldn’t get accepted yet somehow they did...got two MM 45RPM Joe Henderson’s for $40 each with shipping. In n Out and Our Thing.

Thanks for the Jim Hall Concierto tip. I'm a Grant Green fan, but hadn't heard much from Hall. Did a quick listen to Concierto and was hooked.

Better yet - I just scored the 2013 Grundman mastered reissue from the analogs via discogs for a sweet price!
I'm glad you're enjoying it, it's a great album, and Hall is a top player.

I'm not the biggest fan of Grant Green. He is a good soloist, specially when playing a blues, but he is quite one-dimensional to me. Like, does he even know he can play more than one string at a time on a guitar? I enjoy some of his records, but it gets tiring to me after a couple of tracks.
Jim Hall is my favorite jazz guitarist. Great sideman, and great soloist too.
I'd try Matador before writing him off. Well worth a listen.

I'm not the biggest fan of Grant Green. He is a good soloist, specially when playing a blues, but he is quite one-dimensional to me. Like, does he even know he can play more than one string at a time on a guitar? I enjoy some of his records, but it gets tiring to me after a couple of tracks.
Jim Hall is my favorite jazz guitarist. Great sideman, and great soloist too.

The one note at a time thing is exactly what makes Grant Green special. He only plays single notes instead of chords because he taught himself to play guitar by listening to bebop saxophone players such as Charlie Parker who employ single note melodic lines (I'm not a music theorist, so I'm just repeating what I have read elsewhere).

Of course this doesn't mean you have to like his style, but I hope it offers some context.

I'd try Matador before writing him off. Well worth a listen.

Definitely try Matador! For me it might be the best Blue Note album of all time (although there are several that are in the running), with a version of My Favourite Things that imo is better than Coltrane's (yes I said it! and I mean no disrespect to Coltrane's version which is stunning as well).

Back