The Blue Note Thread

Got my AP 45 test presses in from the sale last week.
Haul includes:
New Soil - Jackie McLean
Introducing Johnny Griffin
Blues Walk - Lou Donaldson
The Time is Right - Lou Donaldson

@Doctor_of_Jazz - Most just came in plain White sleeves, but New Soil Included the actual jacket with artwork as well.

View attachment 7140
View attachment 7141
Just out of curiousity, do you know if New Soil had the album cover on their listing? I noticed that some of the test pressings had an album cover on the product image while others were blank.

tfsquxu.jpg

Well, it showed up today...and my heart immediately sank when I checked the vinyl out. Very scratched up, like to the point where it looks more like what I’d imagine a G+/VG- to look like. But it plays decent. Light to medium crackle over the music and about 8-9 small pops during the first song so far.

Perhaps a clean will benefit it...?

I’ll try to get a shot of the vinyl after I’m through spinning it. It definitely looks rough.

tfsquxu.jpg

Well, it showed up today...and my heart immediately sank when I checked the vinyl out. Very scratched up, like to the point where it looks more like what I’d imagine a G+/VG- to look like. But it plays decent. Light to medium crackle over the music and about 8-9 small pops during the first song so far.

Perhaps a clean will benefit it...?

I’ll try to get a shot of the vinyl after I’m through spinning it. It definitely looks rough.
Damn that sucks! Definitely message the seller if the condition wasn't as advertised. I'm still waiting on info about my extra Shorter anthology press but if we get another copy, it has your name on it.

Damn that sucks! Definitely message the seller if the condition wasn't as advertised. I'm still waiting on info about my extra Shorter anthology press but if we get another copy, it has your name on it.
I’ll be honest, it definitely plays better than it looks. They definitely don’t make vinyl like they used to. There’s a few loud spots but it’s, for the most part, a very listenable copy. I’m a few minutes away from the end of Side A.

I’ll be honest, it definitely plays better than it looks. They definitely don’t make vinyl like they used to. There’s a few loud spots but it’s, for the most part, a very listenable copy. I’m a few minutes away from the end of Side A.
I got a first press of Freddie Roach's "Good Move" a month or so ago and it looked a bit scratched but was $20. Ended up being very surprised at how little noise it had on it despite looking bad. So hopefully the rest of that one plays well too!

Finally got my hands on a great pressing of this masterpiece! I know it is quite a cliché to praise this album, but there is a reason for all that love. This is definitely one of my all time favorite on any genre: great compositions, focused concept, and unbeatable musicianship and performances.

Shout out to @mitchwagz for setting me up with this clean Japanese copy, it sounds amazing!
IMG_20190618_073608.jpg

I got a first press of Freddie Roach's "Good Move" a month or so ago and it looked a bit scratched but was $20. Ended up being very surprised at how little noise it had on it despite looking bad. So hopefully the rest of that one plays well too!
Yeah, and my needle looks pretty dirty after that Side A spin. So I think a bath will help.

Honestly, it’s pretty cool to have. Sorry to come in here with a downer attitude. ✌️

Finally got my hands on a great pressing of this masterpiece! I know it is quite a cliché to praise this album, but there is a reason for all that love. This is definitely one of my all time favorite on any genre: great compositions, focused concept, and unbeatable musicianship and performances.

Shout out to @mitchwagz for setting me up with this clean Japanese copy, it sounds amazing!
View attachment 7272
Fantastic! Glad you’re enjoying it.

View attachment 7272
I have the same pressing. Sounds sublime.
And never feel bad for praising Maiden Voyage.

I just decided to take a little gamble and spent $20 on an original copy of Songs for my Father by Horace Silver. Record listed as Fair with scuffs and scratches but I'm hoping they didn't actually playgrade and most of the marks aren't audible. Sleeve is supposedly VG+ so that's cool. Not a terrible risk for $20 shipped!

This is a lot of African records from the 1970s too. They can often be quite dull and shallow grooves and play well. I often take chances on G+ from trusted sellers (that said, when they're bad they can be frankly unlistenable)

I just decided to take a little gamble and spent $20 on an original copy of Songs for my Father by Horace Silver. Record listed as Fair with scuffs and scratches but I'm hoping they didn't actually playgrade and most of the marks aren't audible. Sleeve is supposedly VG+ so that's cool. Not a terrible risk for $20 shipped!
I have taken some gambles like this as well. Got a bundle of two "used" copies of Coltrane's A Love Supreme. Both ended up being in VG+ shape and were an original stereo press and a His Master's Voice press which are both really solid pressings.

Typically do this on ebay vs discogs though and only if it's a really cheap gamble like yours is. Fingers crossed for ya!

Got the first shipment of my final round of big jazz vinyl purchases before going back into financially responsible mode. I was going to wait until everything came in to just make a Fresh Grabs post, but when I saw this I got so excited I don't even know what to do with myself. This is the kind of find that is only supposed to happen to other people. In fact, it's so too good to be true that a lot of my reason for posting is to see if someone can tell me if I'm right/wrong about this. So, I bought this version of Moanin' on discogs. It was listed as an early Liberty pressing. This one to be exact. It was listed as the record being VG+ and the jacket NM-. I made an offer of $75 (the median price it goes for) and it was accepted, which, to be honest, surprised me. Flash forward to today when I unpack this and start looking at it. Right off the bat, the fact that the label had the 47 W. 63rd address made me examine it closer. When I saw the Plastylite "P" on both sides, the excitement kicked in. I've been researching on London Jazz Collector and elsewhere and what I'm coming to think is that this is actually an original stereo copy, but not from the original pressing run. The fact that it only has the deep groove on side 2 is apparently what denotes that it isn't from the first pressing, but everything else seems to indicate that this is from the original stereo run. There are no other discogs listings that match it and the only thing off is the lack of deep groove on both sides. Not only is this amazing, but the fact is that the record is actually a very strong VG+ when I play it. I just A/B'd it with my 75th Anniversary copy, which has been played 3 times and is probably three months old, and this OG version is LESS noisy than that one. Granted, that 75th copy was one of the worst ones (mastered by Capitol, pressed by United) and it literally came out of the jacket brand new looking VG+ at best. But still, to hear this and to have gotten it for the price I did...I don't even know what to say.

Last edited:
Got the first shipment of my final round of big jazz vinyl purchases before going back into financially responsible mode. I was going to wait until everything came in to just make a Fresh Grabs post, but when I saw this I got so excited I don't even know what to do with myself. This is the kind of find that is only supposed to happen to other people. In fact, it's so too good to be true that a lot of my reason for posting is to see if someone can tell me if I'm right/wrong about this. So, I bought this version of Moanin' on discogs. It was listed as an early Liberty pressing. This one to be exact. It was listed as the record being VG+ and the jacket NM-. I made an offer of $75 (the median price it goes for) and it was accepted, which, to be honest, surprised me. Flash forward to today when I unpack this and start looking at it. Right off the bat, the fact that the label had the 47 W. 63rd address made me examine it closer. When I saw the Plastylite "P" on both sides, the excitement kicked in. I've been researching on London Jazz Collector and elsewhere and what I'm coming to think is that this is actually an original stereo copy, but not from the original pressing run. The fact that it only has the deep groove on side 2 is apparently what denotes that it isn't from the first pressing, but everything else seems to indicate that this is from the original stereo run. There are no other discogs listings that match it and the only thing off is the lack of deep groove on both sides. Not only is this amazing, but the fact is that the record is actually a very strong VG+ when I play it. I just A/B'd it with my 75th Anniversary copy, which has been played 3 times and is probably three months old, and this OG version is LESS noisy than that one. Granted, that 75th copy was one of the worst ones (mastered by Capitol, pressed by United) and it literally came out of the jacket brand new looking VG+ at best. But still, to hear this and to have gotten it for the price I did...I don't even know what to say.

View attachment 7336
View attachment 7337
View attachment 7338
View attachment 7339
View attachment 7340

That's a seriously legit score right there. Could be a second press using first press labels still, right at the time the plant was switching over to new pressing machines that didn't use the deep groove. Could be a late first press. Honestly that's a score of a lifetime either way and I am so damn jealous right now! I picked up a black on blue UA copy and it sounds decent, not like what you have. really awesome record man. congrats.

edit to add this from LJC:
In the latter part of 1960, new dies were introduced at the Plastylite pressing plant which behind left merely a single “step” – not a deep groove. The old DG and new non-DG dies were functionally interchangeable and coexisted for some four years, until the last of the old deep groove dies finally became worn out and discarded. All pressings thereafter were “no deep groove”.

During the transitional four years, original pressings appeared with every combination of die types: both DG, both non-DG, and DG only one side or the other. Various collector theories have been offered, about the use of old dies for re-pressings, new dies for new original pressings, but more likely it was simply arbitrary and random choice by the press operator. Nevertheless many original pressing have an historical established pattern.

so I say, go by the label and call that a true OG copy.

Last edited:
Back