The Blue Note Thread

A whole bunch of jazz records were waiting for me when I got home today (mostly Blue Note). Grant Green's Green Street AP repress, japanese press of Oleo, Classic Records press of Blue Train, MM Dexter Gordon Our Man In Paris, Chet Baker Sings repress and the Ebi Soda EP. Don't even know which one to play first!
IMG_9227.jpg

A whole bunch of jazz records were waiting for me when I got home today (mostly Blue Note). Grant Green's Green Street AP repress, japanese press of Oleo, Classic Records press of Blue Train, MM Dexter Gordon Our Man In Paris, Chet Baker Sings repress and the Ebi Soda EP. Don't even know which one to play first!
View attachment 6980
Which version of Chet is that? I eventually ended up with a Jazz Images when I got to it on my Christmas jazz list I’ve been using to get my daughter a nice starter jazz catalog.

Which version of Chet is that? I eventually ended up with a Jazz Images when I got to it on my Christmas jazz list I’ve been using to get my daughter a nice starter jazz catalog.
It’s this one:

I ended up grabbing it for $15 from eBay from the same seller I got Green Street and Coltrane from. Been wanting the album for awhile and even though it’s likely mastered from a CD, figured it was worth a shot. It doesn’t sound half bad and it’s pretty quiet on the noise side.

Awesome that you’re building a starter jazz catalogue for your daughter!

It’s this one:

I ended up grabbing it for $15 from eBay from the same seller I got Green Street and Coltrane from. Been wanting the album for awhile and even though it’s likely mastered from a CD, figured it was worth a shot. It doesn’t sound half bad and it’s pretty quiet on the noise side.

Awesome that you’re building a starter jazz catalogue for your daughter!
Yeah, she’s got Kind of Blue, Chet Sings, Return To Forever and Mingus Ah Um so far. I believe she has even grabbed a couple herself at this point. I should probably start checking her cogs before I gift her things.

Got my first 80th anniversary pressing in today. Gotta say, it sounds pretty good! Not as good as the Tone Poets I have but waaaaayyy better than the 75th anniversary pressings I had and promptly returned.

View attachment 7103
Not as dynamic as the Tone Poets but for the price point I really appreciate them in helping me fill out my jazz collection. 👍

Not as dynamic as the Tone Poets but for the price point I really appreciate them in helping me fill out my jazz collection. 👍

I'm curious about this. AFAIK, the 80th are all AAA and mastered by the KG at Cohearant just like TP, and the only difference is in the pressing plant (and packaging). Would that account for a noticeable difference in sound? Or is there a difference I don't know about?

I'm curious about this. AFAIK, the 80th are all AAA and mastered by the KG at Cohearant just like TP, and the only difference is in the pressing plant (and packaging). Would that account for a noticeable difference in sound? Or is there a difference I don't know about?
To be honest, well beyond my knowledge of it all. Could be in the remaster? Not sure

I believe that pressing plant could definitely have a noticeable difference in sound quality. The 75th anniversary pressings were supposedly cut analogue too and those sounded pretty awful to me (of the ones I got and returned). A lot goes into the sound quality difference...who does the remaster, where the laquer is cut, who presses the record and whether they use virgin vinyl or recycled stuff. i don't know enough about all of the specifics of the 80th anniversary pressings.

I believe that pressing plant could definitely have a noticeable difference in sound quality. The 75th anniversary pressings were supposedly cut analogue too and those sounded pretty awful to me (of the ones I got and returned). A lot goes into the sound quality difference...who does the remaster, where the laquer is cut, who presses the record and whether they use virgin vinyl or recycled stuff. i don't know enough about all of the specifics of the 80th anniversary pressings.

Yeah it's such a rabbit hole. Just to be clear, I agree the TP releases in general have some more dynamism to them compared to the BN80. I dove into the Hoffman thread on it and that both cleared things up and made it infinitely more complicated. Part of the fun of it maybe, lol. Also got a little obsessive and read most of the Blue Note pages on this site: https://londonjazzcollector.wordpress.com/

Yeah it's such a rabbit hole. Just to be clear, I agree the TP releases in general have some more dynamism to them compared to the BN80. I dove into the Hoffman thread on it and that both cleared things up and made it infinitely more complicated. Part of the fun of it maybe, lol. Also got a little obsessive and read most of the Blue Note pages on this site: https://londonjazzcollector.wordpress.com/
LJC is my go-to for anything Blue Note pressing specific. I have their label guide favorited on my phone's photos for a quick reference when I'm out digging for records haha.

I know that the pressing plant differed between TP and BN80 but wasn't entirely sure what the other differences, if any, there were.

Listened to my new bn80 copy of dexter gordon " Doin' Allright" and it is great. I really like the tone of his saxophone in this one. It's sounding very smooth without being trivial or " easy listening" . The way his saxophone interplay with freddie hubbards trumpet is also a special trest on this one.
I also enjoyed the sequencing of the album . It's such a great builup from the balladry in the begibning to the faster more swinging titles of side b.

LJC is my go-to for anything Blue Note pressing specific. I have their label guide favorited on my phone's photos for a quick reference when I'm out digging for records haha.

I know that the pressing plant differed between TP and BN80 but wasn't entirely sure what the other differences, if any, there were.

I believe all the BN80 are AAA Kevin Gray cuts, I think the only difference is the pressing plant. I have a suspicion that the pressing plants also have a variety of vinyl qualities & these are the mid range, whereas the TP are premium.

Personally,I think the BN80's sound amazing, but the copy of Open Sesame I got a the weekend is slightly dished.

I believe all the BN80 are AAA Kevin Gray cuts, I think the only difference is the pressing plant. I have a suspicion that the pressing plants also have a variety of vinyl qualities & these are the mid range, whereas the TP are premium.

Personally,I think the BN80's sound amazing, but the copy of Open Sesame I got a the weekend is slightly dished.

yeah I think this is it. I've had good luck with the 80 presses, one I listened to earlier had a slightly noisy b side but nothing terrible.

This sounds right. Plants sometimes have virgin vinyl while others recycle it. There are tons of factors that go into the pressing of a record and its sound quality. The 75th anniversary were also supposedly AAA and they sounded bad and had lots of defects because of quality control and them opting to make a low quality product to try to attract a new market at a lower price point. The jacket quality on the BN80s are also not nearly as good which is okay. I'd rather opt for the TPs all around all things considered and the price point isn't too different. I have paid under $30 for every Tone Poet so far. I think Grant Green BN80 was $22. For me, the quality between sleeve and vinyl is enough to warrant the $8 price difference. But I will be happy to own some of those BN80 album choices for a cheaper price than an older repress.

Back