The Blue Note Thread

I think the 33 side is almost perfect for what I do-- ~20mins of writing, end of side, little break to flip, get back to it. The 45 messes with that flow big time.

They really do sound good though. I have one 33 MM also and I'd say it sounds just as good although it's really hard to compare different recordings. I think this is just a lesson learned for me. 2x45 just isn't up my alley. I'll probably hold onto these for a while and see if they get into rotation-- and sell them if not.
For me, the sound quality difference between the MM 33 and the MM 45 is negligible especially when you take into account the flipping. I have a few records I love at 45rpm (like the Fleetwood Mac Rumours 45rpm) and those get played when I just want to sit down and listen to the music with no distractions. But like you, I often listen to records when I am working and even though the turntable is close to my desk, it is still a bit annoying to get into a work groove and then have to go flip the record.

Seems that the 33rpm MM pressings are a bit trickier to find on eBay and I always end up buying the 45rpm now and every time I think oh I’ll get used to flipping it a lot and then I never do haha

Seems that the 33rpm MM pressings are a bit trickier to find on eBay and I always end up buying the 45rpm now and every time I think oh I’ll get used to flipping it a lot and then I never do haha

lol, exactly what I was telling myself. "I'll totally get used to it!" I got a couple 45s that I'll keep, but I'm thinking a few of the others are gonna end up on discogs/ebay at some point.

Also now that I've done some more research, I'm finding that you can get a (potentially) decent copy of like a Liberty pressing for around the same you'd pay for one of these 2x45 represses. I can't say how the quality will hold up, but general online reviews rate the Liberty pressings with the RVG stamps pretty highly. That doesn't hold for some of the more popular albums though, especially the ones that only have a few different versions.

lol, exactly what I was telling myself. "I'll totally get used to it!" I got a couple 45s that I'll keep, but I'm thinking a few of the others are gonna end up on discogs/ebay at some point.

Also now that I've done some more research, I'm finding that you can get a (potentially) decent copy of like a Liberty pressing for around the same you'd pay for one of these 2x45 represses. I can't say how the quality will hold up, but general online reviews rate the Liberty pressings with the RVG stamps pretty highly. That doesn't hold for some of the more popular albums though, especially the ones that only have a few different versions.
Yea the only thing with liberty presses is that you’re trading a new copy for likely a VG copy instead of NM. They do sound great and often times even a liberty press that looks VG plays well with little surface noise. I have also been buying some Japanese King pressings of Blue Note and they sound fantastic. So there are a lot of options. I haven’t paid more than $40 for any of my MM pressings so far though (eBay luck) so I’m quite happy with them. I do think from now on I will opt for the MM 33 or King or Liberty pressings though.

Man guys, I picked up a few of the 2x45 MM copies during the funkyou auctions and I'm basically realizing that I hate the 2x45 format.

I'm a working writer and I have this music on in the background when I'm working. It's super annoying when I have to get up and flip the record every 10 minutes, sometimes less, just ruins the flow. I'm already starting to realize that while I really really like these records, they're just going to fade away into my collection.
What albums? I might be interested if and when you decide to sell. I actually adore my 45rpm presses. So they’d be going to a good home. :cool:🤗

I should too, honestly. Especially with so many Tone Poets and BN80 on preorder. I just can’t though.🤫

I’m livin’ in a Blue Note wonderland this year.
It is simultaneously a great time and an awful time to be a Blue Note fan. Great because of all of the good albums getting represses, and bad because it's very easy for me to buy albums and spend money on records that I like but don't LOVE.

It is simultaneously a great time and an awful time to be a Blue Note fan. Great because of all of the good albums getting represses, and bad because it's very easy for me to buy albums and spend money on records that I like but don't LOVE.
I feel you on that. I haven’t even spun my Johnny Griffin BN80 yet. A lot of these albums I have on preorder I’ve never even listened to; but I find a lot of them sound so much better on my turntable so why make a decision while streaming?

I know, I know not a good method. It’s okay I will build a little Blue Note home with my records when they drive me to homelessness.

I feel you on that. I haven’t even spun my Johnny Griffin BN80 yet. A lot of these albums I have on preorder I’ve never even listened to; but I find a lot of them sound so much better on my turntable so why make a decision while streaming?

I know, I know not a good method. It’s okay I will build a little Blue Note home with my records when they drive me to homelessness.
I'm slowly transitioning to high quality FLAC/WAV files for albums that I either like but don't love or want to listen to to decide if I want the album. My amp has a USB input for high quality playback so sometimes it's nice to just play that stuff. It's also a matter of space for me. My shelves are entirely full and I need to buy more shelving, so now is a good time to hit pause on the buying if I can hah. I'm at over 1,000 LPs now and can't possibly listen to all of them.

I just got the Grant Green BN80 plus Mr. Shing-a-ling and Cornbread TP presses today........ thanks 'Zon!

Side note, I feel guilty buying from Zon but I'm a prime guy so it's like I almost have to use it.

Anyway, this Grant Green record is fantastic. I feel like Ben Dixon is playing with some serious touch to let an organ and a guitar still shine.

I just got the Grant Green BN80 plus Mr. Shing-a-ling and Cornbread TP presses today........ thanks 'Zon!

Side note, I feel guilty buying from Zon but I'm a prime guy so it's like I almost have to use it.

Anyway, this Grant Green record is fantastic. I feel like Ben Dixon is playing with some serious touch to let an organ and a guitar still shine.
I don't own any Grant Green yet...this will definitely be my first purchase.

I preordered this one as well through that udiscovermusic father's day sale. Got that and Face To Face (which is now down to $26 on amazon btw). Kenny Burrell is also on my list...might snag that at some point if it drops in price a little. Just got one of my first Kenny Burrell records--John Jenkins with Kenny Burrell (music matters pressing) and I really dig it. With guitar jazz, can't go wrong with Joe Pass, Kenny Burrell or Grant Green. The Grant Green - Grant's First Stand 80th anniversary pressing is also a nice one if you're looking for guitar jazz.

With the Tone Poets, I might end up grabbing just about all of them at some point.
I'm not the biggest fan of Grant Green. He is a good soloist, specially when playing a blues, but he is quite one-dimensional to me. Like, does he even know he can play more than one string at a time on a guitar? I enjoy some of his records, but it gets tiring to me after a couple of tracks.
Jim Hall is my favorite jazz guitarist. Great sideman, and great soloist too.

I'm not the biggest fan of Grant Green. He is a good soloist, specially when playing a blues, but he is quite one-dimensional to me. Like, does he even know he can play more than one string at a time on a guitar? I enjoy some of his records, but it gets tiring to me after a couple of tracks.
That's fair. Not for everybody. I have to dig more into Jim Hall. He's a sideman on a few records I own and I like him but haven't gone deep into his albums. Any recs would be appreciated!

Yeah, I can totally see why you feel that way. I mean, playing single notes is his whole "thing" basically per every single liner note on him that I've read. So he has to be pretty darn inventive to really make his solos sing, which I think he pulls off on his best tracks. But at his worst, he's a little boring.

That's fair. Not for everybody. I have to dig more into Jim Hall. He's a sideman on a few records I own and I like him but haven't gone deep into his albums. Any recs would be appreciated!
I'd say Any of the 3 volumes of Jim Hall with the Hampton Hawes Trio - All Night Session, or any of his work with the Jimmy Giuffre 3 is really great. Hall is definitely more dynamic than Grant. But Grant has that cutting tone and groove that really is unmatched in jazz. That's his style though. He definitely built up his style over time to a serious funk level later. Then he got cheesy the last few albums. Too bad we never got to see if he would come back around.

Tangent - THIS is one of the greatest jazz guitar videos with Kenny Burrell, Barney Kessel and Grant Green trading licks.

Received my Cornbread and Mr. Shingaling from Amazon today! Now, am I going to play them tonight or go watch an all female Mariachi group play outside tonight? It’s free and the weather is beautiful..decisions to make..

Back