The Blue Note Thread

Roots and Herbs has been the Tone Poet evading me. Not going to pursue it though, all the others that have gone notoriously oos have gotten more printings (and some I stupidly paid discogs prices for). It'll come back.
It was just back in stock at Deep Discount, I grabbed it a week or so ago.

If you're ok paying full retail it's in stock at Bullmoose: - Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Roots & Herbs

Two new TP grabs for my locals today. Both recommendations from a friend of mine. $33/32

Anyone have Dexter Gordon Clubhouse TP btw ? That was the other I was considering today.

The opening bit on the first song on the dexter Gordon - Clubhouse is an earworm. I find myself humming that ALL THE TIME.

Last edited:
Is anyone else's Moanin' still in a paper sleeve? I thought they were moving to non-paper sleeves? Side B has a lot of marks on it. Listening now and there's some popping. I wonder if I just got a bad one.

Is anyone else's Moanin' still in a paper sleeve? I thought they were moving to non-paper sleeves? Side B has a lot of marks on it. Listening now and there's some popping. I wonder if I just got a bad one.
No paper sleeve here, polylined. However many scuffs and marks, but doesn't affect the sound, just cosmetic. I'm surprised some of the records came in paper and some not?

I'm seeing now that it's a paper exterior and polylined inside. I was thinking it would be like the Tone Poet style sleeves. Soul Station is similar.
The TP sleeves are RTI sleeves. These were pressed at Optimal. Just in case you were curious for the reason behind it. Personally I don't love the stiff RTI ones but they beat paper.

There's a ton of comments on the Steve Hoffman forum about visible scratches on the new releases when they're in poly lined sleeves, which is difficult to account for.

I'm wondering if they packaged them in paper sleeves first, then got a call from Blue Note asking for the poly sleeves, causing the scratches as they got changed over in a hurry.

Swings and roundabouts, Unity is a classic and the MM is great, sure it'll get another look in sometime, it was done for the 75th Anniversary .
Okay... VENT moment.

HOW THE HELL does Blue Note pick its reissues?

Why is Larry Young's phenomenal Into Somethin' currently in print, but his indisputable classic Unity is not? And why has the beautifully curious Of Love and Peace been unavailable on vinyl for almost 60 years???

Why was Ornette Colemans Live at the Golden Circle Volume One reissued more than once but its equally brilliant Volume Two left forgotten?

I have questions. I would love answers, but I would much prefer reissues.

I just spun the new Classics version of Soul Station and while the record itself has a bunch of micro scratches and some non fill it actually sounds fantastic! Played through flawless right out of the sleeve even before a proper cleaning, gotta love Art Blakey’s drums on this one. Moanin’ is up next.

Last edited:
3 weeks Until May Tone Poet Releases. One Flight Up is a no brainer BN Anthem for me and on preorder. I love Andrew Hill, but I have to listen to Passing Ships cd this weekend to see if the vinyl would be used (same with Witch Doctor in June), How about you ? There are no BN CL series scheduled for May.

Last edited:
3 weeks Until May Tone Poet Releases. One Flight Up is a no brainer BN Anthem for me. I love Andrew Hill, but I have to listen to Passing Ships this weekend to see if the vinyl would be used (same with Witch Doctor in June), How about you ? There are no CN CL series scheduled for May.
I’ve had One Flight Up pre-ordered for a few months now, incredibly excited for that one! Not too Keen on Witch Doctor for June, it just feels like a worse Roots & Herbs to, so many good Blakey albums, that one would not get grabbed. I need to listen to Passing Ships as well, Andrew Hill hasn’t yet clicked for me so we’ll see

I just spun the new Classics version of Soul Station and while the record itself has a bunch of micro scratches and some non fill it actually sounds fantastic! Played through flawless right out of the sleeve even before a proper cleaning, gotta love Art Blakey’s drums on this one. Moanin’ is up next.
Mine is exactly the same, glad it sounds ok but awful to look at. Still waiting for that Moanin'!

I’ve had One Flight Up pre-ordered for a few months now, incredibly excited for that one! Not too Keen on Witch Doctor for June, it just feels like a worse Roots & Herbs to, so many good Blakey albums, that one would not get grabbed. I need to listen to Passing Ships as well, Andrew Hill hasn’t yet clicked for me so we’ll see
What you said. I'll see what TP is available at Target for their next B2G1 offer and probably grab these.

Pretty much the same, looking forward to One Flight Up. Amazon.ca does not have Witch Doctor or Katanga up yet but i will probably stream them a couple of times before I make a decision. I have quite a bit of Art Blakey now so not sure if Witch Doctor will get a lot of spins.

Pretty much the same, looking forward to One Flight Up. Amazon.ca does not have Witch Doctor or Katanga up yet but i will probably stream them a couple of times before I make a decision. I have quite a bit of Art Blakey now so not sure if Witch Doctor will get a lot of spins.
Katanga is a must have if you do not have it IMHO.

Edit: I feel Passing Ships is listenable and enjoyable (Along with Andrew!!!, Grass Roots, Judgement, Mosaic Select Solo, etc.) But my digital copies (Mostly RVG) are fine. You might also like Herbie Nichol's. More accessible but adventurous like Monk.

Last edited:
I've historically been a casual jazz fan, but in the past year I have listened to way more jazz than I ever have before. Not sure if it's a covid thing or what. Anyway, I've realized that I fucking love Lee Morgan. I picked up some of his stuff in the udiscover sale last year, and then I just got my copy of the new Moanin, which I had not known he was on. Incredible Where do I go from here?

Back