The Blue Note Thread

Okay... VENT moment.

HOW THE HELL does Blue Note pick its reissues?

Why is Larry Young's phenomenal Into Somethin' currently in print, but his indisputable classic Unity is not? And why has the beautifully curious Of Love and Peace been unavailable on vinyl for almost 60 years???

Why was Ornette Colemans Live at the Golden Circle Volume One reissued more than once but its equally brilliant Volume Two left forgotten?

I have questions. I would love answers, but I would much prefer reissues.

Okay... VENT moment.

Why is Larry Young's phenomenal Into Somethin' currently in print, but his indisputable classic Unity is not? And why has the beautifully curious Of Love and Peace been unavailable on vinyl for almost 60 years???

Why was Ornette Colemans Live at the Golden Circle Volume One reissued more than once but its equally brilliant Volume Two left forgotten?

Into Something has not been in print since the 80th Anniversary version (quite good IMHO btw). Although there may be a few stragler copies around still or crappy euro dol versions (do not waste your $ IMHO) ?

As for Unity, it may of been done on Music Matters already in which case there is a agreement not to repeat them on BN now I think ? (someone please verify that). But if there is a way yes please Don!

And for others it may come down to quality and availability of the master tapes, or just preferences but I'm sure others will have opinions or answers.

Happy to hear these BN Classics are using polylined inners now. My Mobley and Blakey copies will be here tomorrow!

I skipped the Mobley Cl in the end, just too many other things coming right now. You guys can torment me about how good it is. :cry:

Into Something has not been in print since the 80th Anniversary version (quite good IMHO btw). Although there may be a few stragler copies around still or crappy euro dol versions (do not waste your $ IMHO) ?

As for Unity, it may of been done on Music Matters already in which case there is a agreement not to repeat them on BN now I think ? (someone please verify that). But if there is a way yes please Don!

As for others it may come down to quality and availability of the master tapes but I'm sure others will have opinions or answers.
It sounds like there is a pledge not to redo them for TP, but otherwise there have been overlaps with BN80 and now the Classics. Into Somethin was done by MM as well.

For me, Unity is a Top 5 Blue Note album. Woody Shaw shines with a career making performance on trumpet.

I spent $60 on the Music Matters version. I’m sure it’ll be part of the Classics series at some point.

Id love Of Love and Peace to get a Tone Poet reissue. Very underrated.

For me, Unity is a Top 5 Blue Note album. Woody Shaw shines with a career making performance on trumpet.

I spent $60 on the Music Matters version. I’m sure it’ll be part of the Classics series at some point.

Id love Of Love and Peace to get a Tone Poet reissue. Very underrated.

I'm listening to the RVG cd right now which is not too bad, at least until it makes it BN Cl one day and without paying 100+ for a MM or old origional. @MadLucas thanks for bringing up the album.

Happy to hear these BN Classics are using polylined inners now. My Mobley and Blakey copies will be here tomorrow!

My local shop tells me they are seeing QA issues (scrathces and scuffs) with both of the new BN Classics this month. So its just not the one's reported here.

My local shop tells me they are seeing QA issues (scrathces and scuffs) with both of the new BN Classics this month. So its just not the one's reported here.

I was wondering if it was my set-up. I have a Shabata stylus which is very sensitive, I still want to check the set-up but did get a Jewellers Loupe to have a proper look at my stylus. There was some gunk on my needle that wasn't been picked up with the regular cleaning, so I've spent a bunch of time with some wet stylus cleaner, brushes & even magic eraser getting the stylus clean.

I listened to Moanin again & the noise near the start is still there (I think it's a pressing defect) but the record as whole does sound good.

I got the Hank Mobley yesterday & listening to it today it sounds perfect. I was just thinking I might not bother with the next round but after hearing the Mobley, I'll likely stick with them. Hopefully I've had my share of defects

Looking closely on the Moanin' after @Andy reported his troubles, I could definitely see hairlines on the disc. It didn't seem to affect playback though since I didn't notice any problem. I don't think I closely checked the Mobley, but it was playing fine also.

Okay... VENT moment.

The BN80 series was mostly B and C list titles. The A-List Blue Note titles were done in 2014 (poorly in comparison) for the 75th anniversary. They are just now coming back around to reissuing their A-List titles in All Analog Kevin Gray glory now they see the success of their BN80 and Tone Poet lines. Unity will get a reissue soon enough, same with all those other top tier Blue Note titles.

Roots and Herbs has been the Tone Poet evading me. Not going to pursue it though, all the others that have gone notoriously oos have gotten more printings (and some I stupidly paid discogs prices for). It'll come back.

Back